Im looking into buying a Standard Strat and I have a couple of quick questions.

HERE

If I buy the Standard, can I use aftermarket Strat parts, I.E. pickguards, and new pickups?

PICKGUARD HERE

PICK UPS HERE

Is the Standard (also known as the MexiStrat) drastically different then its American made brother?

Any help would be appreciated.

I can do it!

And so can you!

Last.fm
MIM strats have just a little less quality than Americans.
and yes you can use those pickguards and pickups you listed.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I wouldn't say drastically different. Americans just have better quality control. If you're budget's tight then I'd say get a Mexican and have it professionally set up.
Quote by pwrmax
I wouldn't say drastically different. Americans just have better quality control. If you're budget's tight then I'd say get a Mexican and have it professionally set up.

Yeah, thats the whole point!

I dont have a whole lot of money, and I really want a Strat.
I can do it!

And so can you!

Last.fm
Quote by BaconFrenzy117
Yeah, thats the whole point!

I dont have a whole lot of money, and I really want a Strat.

Mexican's still a very good guitar, and you can upgrade it the same way you would an American one.
Quote by pwrmax
Mexican's still a very good guitar, and you can upgrade it the same way you would an American one.

Yeah, I just wasnt sure if you had to buy different aftermarket, or first party parts in order to upgrade.
I can do it!

And so can you!

Last.fm
I think the bridge of the American is now significantly different from the Mexican. Something about string spacing.

I love my Mexican but the quality control is undoubtedly better on the Americans. If you want to support American workers, get the American strat, otherwise play a handful of mexicans until you find a keeper.
Quote by Jimmy94
I think the bridge of the American is now significantly different from the Mexican. Something about string spacing.

I love my Mexican but the quality control is undoubtedly better on the Americans. If you want to support American workers, get the American strat, otherwise play a handful of mexicans until you find a keeper.

So you would recommend buying from a shop rather then on/over the internet?

But, I'm still wondering if the aftermarket products/upgrades are usable for both, or can only be exclusively used on JUST Americans or JUST Mexicans?

The only thing stopping me from getting an American would be the hefty price tag, its just unreasonable at this point.

This will only be my second purchase when I eventually buy the guitar. My first being an Epiphone Special. I just want to upgrade to what I really want.
I can do it!

And so can you!

Last.fm
do yourself a favour go on ebay get a japanese one second hand which is basicly usa quality if u get a pre 87 one i even think they are better than the usas of today

then use the leftover for stuff like pick ups
Quote by stewart91
do yourself a favour go on ebay get a japanese one second hand which is basicly usa quality if u get a pre 87 one i even think they are better than the usas of today

then use the leftover for stuff like pick ups

Yeah, I've been doing some reading about the Japanese Strats.

I just want to play it before I buy though.
I can do it!

And so can you!

Last.fm
Use craigslist (if available) and/or ebay to find youself a used strat for $600 or so.
Quote by kingblud
play it at a local music store if you can, then buy a new MIM from musiciansfriend.com. free shipping, full return policy if you get a dud. I did exactly this and it has worked great, best $400 I have ever spent. The new MIMs from 2008 on have bigtime improvements, the bridge is really nice and it is really well put together. You will spend lots of time and money trolling for Japanese Strats or used American ones, when you can just get a brand new mexican one for only a little bit of cash and then not worry as you mod it or beat it up, whatever you do to it.

As a sidebar if you actually did play a Japanese strat, you'd be one of the few on this board to do so. Most of what people post is just repeated twelveth-hand info.

Oh, thanks man.

I've played a new(er) MIM Strat, so I was just wondering.

Helpful info!
I can do it!

And so can you!

Last.fm
the only difference between american and mexican strats are the quality of their parts(wood, electronics, hardware)

and all strat parts are pretty much standard, they fit in any strat, no matter if it's a copy, an american or a mexican
Apart from the bridge, basically everything on the MIA and MIM guitars are interchangeable. Thats one of the main reasons I love Fender.

Personally I'd look used for any guitar purchase, but it's easier to buy new if you don't want to search for the perfect guitar.
Quote by kingblud
As a sidebar if you actually did play a Japanese strat, you'd be one of the few on this board to do so. Most of what people post is just repeated twelveth-hand info.
I own and play a Japanese strat, and even though its current form is heavily modded (like all my strats), I think its stock form is loads better than a stock MIM. Stock MIM pickups are very poor compared to the others, and the MIJ just seems more solid overall. However once you start upgrading either the difference lessens. The only real one up my Jap strat has on any of my others is the neck, which I think I just lucked out on finding my perfect fit. In the end, neither are better than the American in my opinion, but thats mainly because I really don't like the vintage 6-hole tremolo.

If you buy a MIM the order of upgrade should be to change the pickups first, and sometime down the line buy a nice after market bridge and better tuners. After that you'll have a solid guitar that rivals any MIA strats.

//Not all strat parts are interchangeable but most are. MIM and MIJ both use a 6-screw bridge, but the MIA uses different 2-point one. Also Pickguards don't always match up perfectly or at all. However, MIM and MIA both use the 11 hole guards so those are normally a clean swap.
Last edited by hiphopopotamus at Aug 20, 2008,
Americans sound better(better pickups, wood), have one extra fret, less noise, coated fingerboard, waaay different bridge, better quality materials. i'd sya it feels better too.
MIM is overpriced, MIA is overpriced. all fenders are overpriced. find em used.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack