hey guys this is my first thread i actually joined this forum so i could ask this question. im looking for new pickups for my epiphone les paul ultra and im deciding between the emg kerry king set and the seymour duncan blackouts. can anyone help me choose i want something with a lot of distortion but im worried the emgs will sound like crap on a clean setting plus the blackouts are cheaper. thanks
Last edited by lpsunburst at Aug 19, 2008,
Thats something your gonna have to test out yourself. Theres alot of opinions and personal prefrence surrounding them.

And FYI Emgs can do cleans fine just go with a 81/60 combo and 18v mod. As for blackouts havent demo'ed them yet so dont know anything about them...
Dont buy into the "kerry king" or "zakk wylde" CRAP with EMGs. Theyre no different than any other set of EMGs but theyre way more because they have someones name slapped on the box.

Blackouts seemed a bit more natural sounding to me. I still have EMGs in one of my guitars...but still. I would say that when it comes down to it there isnt a HUGE difference between the two yet, since Blackouts are still relatively new. You just gotta try em out yourself.
okay im still not sure im not going with the 81/60 combo because i want the kerry king set which is 81/85 and also how can i test both out i would have to buy both
My schecter has the 81/85 combo and I love them. The 85 is actually pretty good on the clean channel. Not using my cleans very much it doesn't really bother me that neither are great, but they're good enough for my use. If you use your cleans a lot, you probably don't want any active pickup, but if you want overdrive, active is the highest output you can get.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
right now i think im leaning towards the blackouts from what im reading they are better
I havce an EMG 81 in my LP and I like the clean sound, althought it is a bit lacking, that's why mine is modded to be mixed with passives.

IMO only get EMG's or Blackouts unless you play about 75% heavy stuff. If you play more cleans I'd think about passivep ick ups.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
THE GAIN BOOSTER SUCKS> dont get teh kerrykings i get juat a 81 and 85 or 60

plus you will loose a tone knob cuz it cant be wired in with a tone knob
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Seriously, don't waste your money on pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

+1
When I got a new guitar, it sounded exactly the same as I was using a spider III.
And a high quality mahogany bodied guitar with average humbuckers should sound completely different from a cheap basswood guitar with cheap singlecoils.
But it didn't.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
It won't make a difference. Spiders are modelling amps made to make every guitar sound similar. And since pickups make a very subtle differece to your tone with tube amps, there will be no difference in sound. And active pups in general sound terrible withe ss amps. Actives are designed to drive an amp harder but when you do that to a ss amp, you get **** tone.
Quote by mcrfobtai
It won't make a difference. Spiders are modelling amps made to make every guitar sound similar. And since pickups make a very subtle differece to your tone with tube amps, there will be no difference in sound. And active pups in general sound terrible withe ss amps. Actives are designed to drive an amp harder but when you do that to a ss amp, you get **** tone.

+100
Isn't the epiphone les paul ultra supposed to sound acoustic or something?
And if you have a guitar that was meant for clean why are you getting emgs/blackouts?
Quote by steven seagull

okay so where should i sell my amp where can i get the most for it? and thanks a lot guys
i dont have any friends or classmates whod be interested since none really play guitar and the ones who do wont be looking for a line 6 so ill try ebay thanks guys
so whats the best choice for an amp thats under 500 bucks that will sound good with new pickups and has a good distortion channel
Quote by lpsunburst
so whats the best choice for an amp thats under 500 bucks that will sound good with new pickups and has a good distortion channel

Modeling amps you should be able to find under 500 better than your Spider:
Roland Cube 60
Line 6 Flextone II or III (Look used)

You may find you don't need new pickups.

Tube amps you can find that do metal around your budget:
Mesa F-30 (Look used)
Randall RG50TC (550 brand new).
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^No, and no.

It is chambered so the sound is somewhat more hollow sounding, but not to say it is supposed to be acoustic, or semi hollow for that matter.

TS needs a new amp first.

It is meant for acoustic + electric. It has a type of piezoelectric pickups on the LAST fret, next to the neck pickups, and TWO output jacks - one electric, one "acoustic". You can play with a high-gain amp, AND an acoustic amp (bu using the two inputs) and get a nice thing going on.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
do u think trying to sell my line 6 to guitar center or on the guitar center website is a good idea
Quote by lpsunburst
do u think trying to sell my line 6 to guitar center or on the guitar center website is a good idea

To guitar center? No. They will not give you a fair trade in value. I'm not sure how all stores work, but one of my local stores will only offer 1/3 of what they think they can sell it for. From what I've seen with people selling to GC it's about the same at there too. (They just aren't as open about it) On the website? Sure, but post it other places too, theres no such thing as too much advertising.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Only the ultra 2 has the extra acoustic pickup. i also have the ultra with emg 81/85 combo and the sound good. The regular ultra is just chambered, with just 2 humbuckers. I think gibson makes all the new les pauls with chambered bodies.
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Wampler Triple Wreck Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Quote by Simsimius
It is meant for acoustic + electric. It has a type of piezoelectric pickups on the LAST fret, next to the neck pickups, and TWO output jacks - one electric, one "acoustic". You can play with a high-gain amp, AND an acoustic amp (bu using the two inputs) and get a nice thing going on.

That is the second Ultra version, the Ultra II IIRC. THe first one was chambered for a slighty hollower sound and lighter weight.

Edit: ^Damnit, beaten.