Page 1 of 4
It might be a silly question but is it harder for a girl to play guitar? I'm 28 and realized I'm getting old :'(

I started playing guitar so I can feel closer to the music I grew up with like alice in chains, STP,nirvana, sound garden, mazzy star, blind melon, L7, hole, Babes in toyland etc...

Is it harder for girls to play since boys are stronger in the arm region etc... or does it really not matter?
Quote by KurtDaveKrist
Is it harder for girls to play since boys are stronger in the arm region etc... or does it really not matter?

Yeah you need crazy arm strength to play guitar.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Nah, it shouldn't be harder, just stick with it. The only thing I could really think you'd need arm strength for is down picking really fast, but that's more endurance anyway.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by Kensai
Yeah you need crazy arm strength to play guitar.

This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.
People have lower standards for girls' technical skills. It may be harder for your to play large stretches (smaller hands) but it won't be expected of you. Guitar is not inherently harder for girls to play.
It's just because us men fap a lot, so we have a lot of power in our hands in arms. I fap with both hands, so I've got equal and strong power in both my left and right arm.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
No idea, but my Girlfriend is a hell of a bass player,

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Quote by KurtDaveKrist
It might be a silly question but is it harder for a girl to play guitar? I'm 28 and realized I'm getting old :'(

I started playing guitar so I can feel closer to the music I grew up with like alice in chains, STP,nirvana, sound garden, mazzy star, blind melon, L7, hole, Babes in toyland etc...

Well I would have thought that it would be easier for a girl to stay comitted to playing the guitar, but playing it, it's usually men who take over because there are some really fast guitaring pieces, which requires mass arm strength. I wonder why only men can get that arm strength...

-Static
Quote by freedoms_stain
Their left booblet gets squished.

yeah...

And the small hands thing
Quote by J_J

stupid ppl (they're like slinkies, not good for much, but they make you smile when pushed down the stairs)

Quote by Meths

Holy non-gender specific pronoun Batman!

Quote by freakypop

you dont rly play guitar if you dont shred
The only thing that makes it harder is if you start using this site's forums. Otherwise, rock on my fellow female =]
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.

hahahahahahahaha

I think if a woman can competently play guitar it's a turn on, but you still better be able to make me a sandwhich when the day is done
Start giving out handjobs since you can't fap like a man can.

Edit - Flip my food in the pan harder. What the **** are you doing out of the kitchen anyway?
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Last edited by shadesofanger at Aug 19, 2008,
A woman's motor skills are naturally more poor than that of a man. If you're talking about acheiving a high level, you'll never be able to play as fast as a good male player who's into shred. But who says fast is good. Dave Gilmour played guitar at the speed of a woman and I call him the best ever. Go for it.
Quote by Hotpunksk8rgirl
EWWWWW!!!!! Isn't a urethra another word for a female body part(vagina)??????? Perverted fishy.
john pettrucis wife can shred i think or it might be mike portnoys neways mike portnoy and john pettruci have wives thats are in a band.
I wouldnt think it takes much strength. Have you seen some of the twigs these guys are using for arms nowadays.
Absolutely not! As long as you don't mind cutting your nails...

There might not be that that many female guitarists around so if you get good, you can get famous real soon! Its a niche market thing =P

But seriously good luck! Also buy an Ibanez - they are the best cheapest guitars around (try SA series for the type of stuff you play - they are really versatile as well)

Your arm strength doesn't matter that much anyway - its mostly bout the flexibility. Also if you have REALLY small hands - there are smaller guitars available.
Quote by Retrobution
Yes because woman's brains are much smaller than mens.

This.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
this question is impossible to answer.

unless you have had a sex change
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by WtrPlyr
Anyone else but me thinks girls with guitars look awkward?

I thought the opposite. Seeing a girl with a guitar (especially an electric) turns me on...
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
Nah, it's not. It might be harder for you to do well in the music industry, depending on whether you're prepared to take your clothes off. I'm sure you'll surpass whatever wall you've come to with your playing which has made you feel annoyed.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by PsychoJeams
No, but women have smaller hands.

No, most women have smaller hands...
acually i think girls do understand theory than we guys do, or can master scales and stuff like that, cause i've seen in music class that the girls knows much more than the guys do on lesson (i compare girls and guys who have same instrument playing ability, not too be rude to anyone though)
Quote by WtrPlyr

If by awkward you mean hot, then yes.
Quote by WtrPlyr

They'd look much better with a bass.
The only reason it would be harder for girls is the fact that they have smaller hands. As far as arm strength goes, you just need to be able to play without too much tension in your arms.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Page 1 of 4