ok, i just started my lessons and i found out what a palm mute is but ive been doing it a different way with just my left hand (im a righty) does this have a name or have i found a new mute

i asked my teacher but hes never seen it

if this i a new tequnique ill post it on the lessons
I very much doubt you've found a new technique but could you maybe describe the physical actions of it more or post pictures or something?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Quote by Crane965
Ever seen the x's on tabs?
I think thats what he's talking about.

yeah. these notes are called "dead notes".

but palm muting is way better to MUTE notes.

if you play with a lot of distortion you can get a bunch of unwanted noise and "harmonics".