Hello eveyone. I play alot of Tool, Pantera style music with my band. www.myspace.com/tsaemusic

Let me know what you think. But I'm looking for a new amp, I am currently using a crate g-130c I'm actually getting a good sound out of it. I've been saving for a Diezel VH4 for a long time, but I realized I won't have 4 grand anytime before, higschool ends, I'm a junior. I have about 1,400$ to spend. What do you think would be a wise choice for my style of music. A half stack is very preffered. And Mesa cabs are pretty great, can't go wrong with that chug! =] I've been playing 6 years, and my main Axe is a Schecter Custom, with Duncan Invaders. Thanks alot guys.
Schecter Synyster custom

Washburn custom ( I remodeled)

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

How many vegetarians does it take to eat a cow?

One if no one is looking.
I have the V3 and its a great amp, and I can tell you this, if you use cleans and want a good clean tone, then go with the V3. If you could care less about cleans and want complete face melting distortion, then go with the 5150. The V3 gives great distortion, but gets a bit fizzy at very high levels.
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
5150 for the pure unrefined insanity of the distortion
Cleans can be made to sound pretty decent with an EQ pedal or various effects
ohai little sig.
I agree. If you use cleans alot, then buy the V3. But the 5150 pwns the V3 at distortion.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Umm, how good is the V3 for distortion? I'd love to have all the channels, but at the same time if the 5150 is alot better than I might go with that. Or any other amps you can reccomend.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

I've got that listed already man, what cab?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

For Tool I wouldn't go for the 5150. But having never heard or played the V-3 I can't give a fair assessment.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
well, I want something really heavy that I can work with. If the peavey is an amp I can tweak, to get a tone in between Tool and Lamb of God, then I'd definatley buy it. What is the peavey best at, brutal Metal?
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Yea the 5150 is great at metal, I own a V3 and I got to tell ya it can get pretty heavy, for Carvin it's got a lot of gain but never compared it to a 5150, also I don't play metal so haven't tried to go that far with the dist.

As for the fizzyness of the V3, I fixed it on mine by turning down the presence to 0 and just turning up the trebble, it fattened up nicely. Somone else with a V3 posted that tip and it has worked nicely.

But as with most amp decisions, it's gonna be up to you to check out and decide, I think Carvin has a 10 day trial so if you don't like it you can send it back.
TS i have both amps 5150 and v3, and i can honestly say save your cash and get a framus dragon/ cobra. V3 is too fizzy for high gain stuff and 5150 is too harsh and often fizzy too and has poor crunch (but cleans are underrated a lot you can get them good). I run both amps together through 2 cabs so i can dial out the problems together but on their own its just a pain in the ass.
Well actually, I'm going with what I was saving for originaly. I'm either getting a Reason amp, a Diezel VH4, a Bogner Ecstacy, or a Mesa Boogie Mark IV. Which are the pros and cons of those. Thanks very much for the replies everyone, It's very appreciated.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Quote by korn klown 14
Well actually, I'm going with what I was saving for originaly. I'm either getting a Reason amp, a Diezel VH4, a Bogner Ecstacy, or a Mesa Boogie Mark IV. Which are the pros and cons of those. Thanks very much for the replies everyone, It's very appreciated.

dude get the randall rm series its cheaper and you can get versions of the xtc and loads of other amps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0K7gnR9l6o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDElKfKfkFk
ENGL Screamer
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Sorry, The Randall isn't my style. I'm looking for a loud ass tube amp to gig with. I'm either going for the..

Diezel Vh4

Diezel Herbert

Bogner XTC/ Ecstacy

Reason SM-50

The ENGLS are good but kind of limited, I love Chris Broderick and all, but I don't want his tone.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

ENGLs are limited in what sense?
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by korn klown 14
Sorry, The Randall isn't my style. I'm looking for a loud ass tube amp to gig with. I'm either going for the..

Diezel Vh4

Diezel Herbert

Bogner XTC/ Ecstacy

Reason SM-50

The ENGLS are good but kind of limited, I love Chris Broderick and all, but I don't want his tone.

dont apologise, but dont discount the amp its nothing like the other cheap randalls. you're discounting engl because of one obscure guitarists 'tone' through an ibanez rg...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmbCJwjF4XA
Last edited by KittehShred at Aug 24, 2008,
No I love his tone actually, Just ENGL's are far from voiced like a Diezel VH4. Oh trust me man, I'm watching the video, I actually like randalls. I love the RG-100 with a noise gate and an EQ you've got some old school Dime/ Pantera ****, It's sterile and heavey. Thanks for the recomendation, I'll watch more of the vid. and comment back.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Damn thats very impressive, That's got some ****ing balls man. The SE Is pretty bad ass. But will it cover, Tool ( mainly) Dream theater, Steve Vai. Ect..? And good clean, SRV style.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

Quote by korn klown 14
Damn thats very impressive, That's got some ****ing balls man. The SE Is pretty bad ass. But will it cover, Tool ( mainly) Dream theater, Steve Vai. Ect..? And good clean, SRV style.

probably the most versitile amp ever. its my favourite amp ever above the SLO.
Hey, you can always get a nice ENGL Screamer. It's fantastic and will do anything you want.

Alternatively, get a Mesa Dual Recto/Mark IV, both equally as great for the most part.

If you have $1400 to apend, don't get a V3 or a 5150. You can do much better. You could get a v3 or 5150 for as low as 400-600 used. Maybe a little more for the V3.
Well, I am definatley not going for any rectos. Too saggy for me, Idk about the mark IV's yet. I'm trying those out on friday along with the vh4, and the herbert, also the XTC. I tried out the Reason today, there is no ENGL dealers around so I can't test those out.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

If you're willing to dish out the money for a Herbert, consider the ENGL SE.

I'd take either/or.

Oh, and order from either Derek @ rocksolidamps or the dude at rebelamps.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by korn klown 14
Well, I am definatley not going for any rectos. Too saggy for me, Idk about the mark IV's yet. I'm trying those out on friday along with the vh4, and the herbert, also the XTC. I tried out the Reason today, there is no ENGL dealers around so I can't test those out.

Dual recto? Too saggy?
Quote by injected
Dual recto? Too saggy?
The low end, really not tight on the rectos.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Have you ever considdered the EVH 5150 III?
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
No I haven't how are those. There is one at a local music store, along with a mesa mark IV, a Diezel Herbet, a VH4, all the bogners, and some matchless amps and a few more companies.
Schecter Synyster custom

Yamaha custom

VOX AC-30

Crate GFX-130-c

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah