Page 1 of 6
I know there are some budding Philosophers out there and thought this might be a good idea. If not, this will fall down in shame.

Just thought it would be cool to see how this goes, just having a thread for open Philosophy Q+A and stuff.

I'm gonna start by giving out one rule.

No 'what is the meaning of life' questions. I hate people asking me this. Why? Because it's the most cliche thing you could ever say.

If you wanna ask anyone a question, shoot. If you want to ask for stuff, shoot. If you want to be a git and play devils advocate, shoot.

Something to start us off from (I got an answer to this, but lips sealed);

What will happen when an unstoppable force hits an unmovable object?
A new philosophy thread? Awesome.

There aren't any unstoppable forces or immovable objects
"The one who uses the searchbar bar achieves great success, where the one who doesn't will make threads that fail."
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
What the **** russel?

But anyway, they glance off each other.

If the universe is constantly expanding, what is it expanding into?

If you were physically able to push one end of a straw through the other end, and keep one pushing, would it eventually come out of itself?

If there is such thing as an all powerful God and he made an unbreakable object, would he then be able to break it? And if he couldn't break it, would he be all powerful? Same with if he couldn't make it, would he be all powerful?
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
Is it worth it to help others for nothing in return, if you feel no satisfaction from doing it?
Fear the Evil Chainsaw Wielding Penguin...
Quote by Jericho114
"The one who uses the searchbar bar achieves great success, where the one who doesn't will make threads that fail."

"Those who double post will inevitably make posts that fail, no matter the content."
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
Quote by Devopast
"Those who double post will inevitably make posts that fail, no matter the content."

"Those who design crappy forums that have trouble loading, cause great trouble to those who are at work and unable to remove double posts, as fast as we would like."
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

an unstoppable force and an unmovable object cannot exist in the same universe

if a force is unstoppable then NOTHING can stop it, not even the unmovable object, which is then not unmovable because it cannot stop the unstoppable force.
and vice versa
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Last edited by iantheman at Aug 19, 2008,
Quote by Jericho114

This>Aristotle
I predict that this thread will fail
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Craigo
Why?
Mathematically/physically? There isn't enough energy.
Vague philosophical answer? An unstoppable force would overcome all resistance so move everything having no net effect other than moving the whole universe, so wouldn't be noticeable from inside.
Quote by Jericho114
"Those who design crappy forums that have trouble loading, cause great trouble to those who are at work and unable to remove double posts, as fast as we would like."

"Those who think these great forums here are crappy can GTFO"
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
Quote by smb
Vague philosophical answer? An unstoppable force would overcome all resistance so move everything having no net effect other than moving the whole universe, so wouldn't be noticeable from inside.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.
Quote by Jericho114

'Those who realise that once you click submit reply, your post is being sent, are wiser than those who don't.'

Alright, to begin with;

If the universe is constantly expanding, what is it expanding into?

Ask a physician. One of my best mate's is one, and she won't give you an answer either

This is Philosophy, not physics I'm afraid, even though philosophy can assist Physics on occasion.

If you were physically able to push one end of a straw through the other end, and keep one pushing, would it eventually come out of itself?

That still isn't philosophy And I have a little water thing like that.

If there is such thing as an all powerful God and he made an unbreakable object, would he then be able to break it? And if he couldn't break it, would he be all powerful? Same with if he couldn't make it, would he be all powerful?

The squaring the circle argument

If got could control the physical world, he would he limited to his own laws he made.
Quote by RedDeath9
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

The pit summed up in one extended word post.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
God is a walking piece of bacon covered in cheez whiz with a top hat. This sounds insane and incredibly retarded I know, but prove me wrong.
"I hate signatures, and irony. They're just not cool at all."
Quote by smb

Ahh.

I go for the philosophical side. I heard this question the other day from a friend.

I'd simply say that, in order to define something as unstoppable or unmoveable, you'll have to leave the realm of quanatitive values. You'll have to assume infinite figures. Otherwise, you'll just be able to one up it. However, we cannot give something physical a value of infinity, so, like you said, they don't exist.
Quote by Craigo
'Those who realise that once you click submit reply, your post is being sent, are wiser than those who don't.'

Fair enough, but that doesn't change the fact that this post still belongs here.

The only Philosophy Thread
Quote by red18420

Quote by Squidzilla
God is a walking piece of bacon covered in cheez whiz with a top hat. This sounds insane and incredibly retarded I know, but prove me wrong.

If you're talking about God by Christian (therefore Jewish and Islamic) or deist values, we'll have to assume he's immaterial. Bacon is material. It's a contradiction in terms.

That's you wrong

Russel's teapot is a better one.
"could god make a corndog so big that even he could eat it? and if he couldnt eat / make said corndog is he REALLY all powerful???"
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
That didn't even make it to one page. I'm sure this one will last longer.
Quote by Craigo
If you're talking about God by Christian (therefore Jewish and Islamic) or deist values, we'll have to assume he's immaterial. Bacon is material. It's a contradiction in terms.

That's you wrong

Russel's teapot is a better one.

That was impressive. Very impressive. Can I have an example of Russel's Teapot though? I have heard of it, but I never exactly knew what it was.
John Locke said something along the lines of

"God can't be benevolent and all powerful because if he was benevolent, he wouldn't want his people to suffer with things like poverty and illness, so either he can't stop it which means he isn't all powerfull or he won't stop it which means he isn't all good"

it's called the problem of evil argument if anyone's interested
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by dgme92
The pit summed up in one extended word post.

Anyways, I always get physics, psychology, and philosophy mixed up. Not the actual concepts, but what they are actually about. Kinda like those questions that Craigo just answered.

I'm not sure what to talk about right now, but I'm interested in all three of those things that I mentioned.
Quote by Craigo
There have been many a philosophy thread. However, I want to keep my own one going rather than dig out an old one successively.

Well someone will most likely report the thread in time I assume, I just want you to know it wasn't me.

Rules are rules man, and I'am sure the guy that created "The Only philosophy thread" wouldn't mind his thread getting a few more hits.
Quote by red18420

Quote by Squidzilla
Can I have an example of Russel's Teapot though?
Have you heard of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
Quote by RedDeath9

Anyways, I always get physics, psychology, and philosophy mixed up. Not the actual concepts, but what they are actually about. Kinda like those questions that Craigo just answered.

I'm not sure what to talk about right now, but I'm interested in all three of those things that I mentioned.

Philosophy is intereptation and application of logic and life and crap. It is the source of every academic subject going (even languages) in a way and is involved in all of them as well. Many philosophies with the help of new science, psychology, biology and more have been shown to be more credible with evidence to back it up, so it's all useful in a way.

Come back when you wanna ask something and I'll try out.
Quote by smb
Have you heard of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Yeah, I have. What about it?
Quote by Jericho114
Well someone will most likely report the thread in time I assume, I just want you to know it wasn't me.

Rules are rules man, and I'am sure the guy that created "The Only philosophy thread" wouldn't mind his thread getting a few more hits.

I'm pretty sure Frenchy asked people to stop reporting threads because they've been done before. I'm gonna make sure this one lasts.
Quote by Squidzilla
Yeah, I have. What about it?
It's the same argument.

We're inventing something that can't be proved wrong and saying because it can't be disproved it must be true.
Even where there is nothing, there is something, and that something is nothing.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
This thread just seems to be rehashed highschool level Intro. to Philosophy concepts.

Forget Russel's Teapot, the Problem of Evil, and the contradictions in all-powerful logic. Let's get down to the real issues:

Where is my God damned weed?

edit:
And Craigo, you've yet to reply to me in the other thread.
Quote by dubstar92
Even where there is nothing, there is something, and that something is nothing.

Nothing is the absence of something. It has no value.

I have 3 cakes. I eat three cakes.

I now have 0 cakes. 0 is a definition of having nothing, but doesn't make it nothing.
Quote by Archaon
This thread just seems to be rehashed highschool level Intro. to Philosophy concepts.

Forget Russel's Teapot, the Problem of Evil, and the contradictions in all-powerful logic. Let's get down to the real issues:

edit:

First find where it's not and you'll begin to know where it is.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Quote by Archaon

edit:

Sorry dude, I decided to give this one a boost. I didn't look at the other one. Bring it in here to give this thread a boost ( ) and I'll reply

EDIT: Don't worry, I'll bring it in here.
Quote by Craigo
Nothing is the absence of something. It has no value.

I have 3 cakes. I eat three cakes.

I now have 0 cakes. 0 is a definition of having nothing, but doesn't make it nothing.

well if you say there is nothing there that means you can define what's there making nothing something
grok it.

SKREAM!