OK today, I tried out the fender champ 600 and loved it except for the fact that it had a little bit too much high-end sometimes. however, i'm stuck because i dont know anything about the epi VJ, nor will i have much of a chance to try it.

i'm not looking for an either/or sorta thing, i'm rly just looking for a sort of description of the VJ i guess. for example, i really love the crystal clear-ness of the champ, and I'm really excited about getting an overdrive pedal in front of it. does the VJ have this same sorta clarity??

thanks for your help!
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by mmjohn
go to youtube.com and type in epiphone valve jr

i did, and it seemed like all of the videos are pretty bad....either that or i dont like the vj i guess....... idk, im paranoid about getting the right thing lol
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
The Epiphone VJ is pretty warm sounding. At least mine is. It's not got the "Fendery" clear tube combo tone but I don't find it muddy. It's much better if you're running it through a good speaker (duuuh).
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
The Epiphone VJ is pretty warm sounding. At least mine is. It's not got the "Fendery" clear tube combo tone but I don't find it muddy. It's much better if you're running it through a good speaker (duuuh).

hm i tend to be more of a fender-y sorta person....

how do both of these compare to the little giant??

thanks btw
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
The Little Giant's designed by the same guy who did the Epi VJ (I'm pretty sure), and it's basically a modded VJ. The BH/VJ are more British voiced. The VJ is particularly thick in the midrange, and can get a little muddy without an eq pedal - especially thru the combo's speaker.

If you like the Fender sound, stick with the Champion (or the identical Gretch). Part of the trouble with the highs your experiencing are undoubtedly due the amp's 6" speaker. If you have a better speaker to hook the amp up to, that should improve.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
The Little Giant's designed by the same guy who did the Epi VJ (I'm pretty sure), and it's basically a modded VJ. The BH/VJ are more British voiced. The VJ is particularly thick in the midrange, and can get a little muddy without an eq pedal - especially thru the combo's speaker.

If you like the Fender sound, stick with the Champion (or the identical Gretch). Part of the trouble with the highs your experiencing are undoubtedly due the amp's 6" speaker. If you have a better speaker to hook the amp up to, that should improve.

+1 to the 6" speaker being a bit of a handicap. the head and cab would be the way to go with the VJ or the blackheart 1x12 combo. but let me tell ya the VJ + a eq pedal and a reverb pedal give's ya some beautiful cleans.
I was planning on getting a VJ but then spotted the Fender Vibro Champ which was only 50 or 60 dollars more. I was planning then on getting the vibro champ then learned about the super champ for another 50 dollars and now I'm planning on getting the super champ.

Anyways I would suggest looking at the Vibro Champ because its only 50/60 dollars more than the V and is a really nice amp.
I've got the Champ 600, sounds much fuller with an external speaker. I've got the Blackheart too, different beasts. The Blackheart gets MUCH more gain and is loads louder, quite a lot actually. The Champ's a much nicer clean amp
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
wow i didnt know this thread was still alive...

thanks for the help and thanks to slats for digging this up!!

hmm...yea...idk i rly like having a full distortion... so the VJ with an eq pedal would do cleans awesome?? its more in my price range, but an eq pedal would push it out of it. that little giant is looking nice tho....
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
yeah, as has been said, if you like the fendery clarity from the champion, don't go with the VJ, it sounds completely different.

the gretsch is the same as the champion, is it?

if so, it's ridiculous- guitarist reviewed the champion and said it was great, but said the gretsch was only so-so. o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by bored_maniac33
hm i tend to be more of a fender-y sorta person....

how do both of these compare to the little giant??

thanks btw

you might want to check out the fender vibro champ also. i think it's what your looking for.