Right now I have an epiphone SG and I'm so bored with it, I need something new now. I was thinking about a telecaster because I have heard a lot of people say it has the best sound they've ever heard. But I need something pretty versatile because I won't just play rock or blues all the time, occasionally I'm going to want to shred some Overkill and Slayer.
Budget. Schecter Diamond series I would check out. Or just but two new pups that are vastly different and use those.
Interested in vitamins and their many uses? Visit my site to learn more about vitamins that can give you energy, increased gym performance, increased recovery, and improved overall health (no broscience)
Check it out: Energizedbyvitamins.com
I find the best way to get a new guitar is to go for general feel, hardware can be changed. I mean you can play Slipknot (though I wouldn't recommend it) or Johnny Cash on a Tele.
...because the last thing the world needs is another metal guitarist.

Me.

My band.

I like Fall Out Boy. I don't like you.
If you want to save up a bit more you can get a Schecter C-1 Classic for $700. VERY versatile guitar. It can be used from everything from Jazz to Black Metal. I have one myself. Best guitar I've EVER played.
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
I know the new schecters have coil tapping for better cleans. Maybe you could find one in your price range i'm sure there is. Maybe go used if you need to.
Quote by CoochieKicker
I don't want to spend much over 600. And my first choice was a Jackson King V.

For that price, I too am gonna have to go with Schecter.
One thing that most people dont like about schecters is their necks.
Just thought that'd be useful to bring up.
Quote by kennyvspenny
I find the best way to get a new guitar is to go for general feel, hardware can be changed. I mean you can play Slipknot (though I wouldn't recommend it) or Johnny Cash on a Tele.

James Root plays a tele.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
You can get a Schecter C-1 Classic for around $500 or maybe even less. I tried selling mine for $600 and people thought the price was too high. They're great guitars and I love the coil split feature. Very versatile and a really comfortable neck. Great guitar.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

PRS SE Custom for you, buddy. Played it a few times, and while it's nothing compared to my baby, it's a VERY versatile guitar for its price range if you've got the right amp.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Ibanez or Shecter = versatility
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
I just purchased a Schecter C-1 classic for about $500 on eBay. I would say that is your best option. Plus the guitar is mighty sexy.
Interested in vitamins and their many uses? Visit my site to learn more about vitamins that can give you energy, increased gym performance, increased recovery, and improved overall health (no broscience)
I'd say go for something from the PRS series. Superior to Schecters in the same price range IMO.
08' Fender MiA Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Quote by QuebecMetal
James Root plays a tele.

yeah.. with emg's. still a tele i guess..
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I'm really attracted to Tele's. I guess because I love the sound Jimmy Page got out of his on the Zep records. I'll look into Schecters too though. Maybe versatile wasn't the best word, I'm just looking for a really good rock n' roll guitar.
^ Schecter still wins there.
LAGUNA! best guitars by my opinion. you can spend $400 on a laguna that would be just as good if not better than a $1000 ibanez. schecters are good if you want a heavier sound, but a laguna would work for all types of music. everything about the guitar is amazing
I'd try out a Fender HSS strat. You can get a MIM version for 400, and it can get normal strat sounds, plus heavier stuff with the humbucker. I transitioned to this from an Epiphone SG too, and you can really tell the difference.

My $0.02
Quote by kennyvspenny

Correction, Jim Root from slipknot plays a custom Telecaster with EMGs in it.. the Johnny Cash sound you're thinking of is from a standard Tele with single coils.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
the highway one strat HSS. i got mine at GC for 650, i too had a epi SG and felt the need to upgrade. Its versatile and looks good enough to fit into any style
PRS custom. crazy versatile i love it.
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
i want to buy a hello kitty guitar than play it at a gig...
itll be like guitar solo than i pull out the kitty-caster and BAMMM
if you are looking for versatility i say check out parker. i know people who use them in jazz bands and even death metal :O
To deny our own impulses, is to deny the very thing that makes us human.
Mexican Made Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS. MINE IS HEAVEN. It will play anything well.

e: Seconding parkers. PM-20s are good.
Last edited by Mondo Generator at Aug 21, 2008,