Whats everybodys opinion on the sound and tone diffrence between Fender P and J basses?
It depends of the amp.
Barry White is cooler than you
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I really wish I could say you're funny and cool, but that would be like saying Africa doesn't have a poverty problem.
im down like a clown for the aerodyne man, mix it up a little, Ps and Js:P
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
It totally depends on the amp but I would say a Jazz is a little more versatile. If I had to buy would I would take the P though because I just think they look better.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
If it's just P pickups and just J pickups, the P bass uses the side by side pickups and the J bass uses single coil Jazz pickups. I think i like the J bass more, very versatile and feels nice, but thats just preference. I think the P bass is good if you play punk and rock stuff but im not totally sure.
Jazz = more versatile, smaller neck

Precision = Bigger neck, more punchier feel (great for punk)
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
well, the jazz looks cooler to me, so i play jazz, but if i saw a free-low priced p bass, id keep it
Try adding more delay.
jazz, though a precision might fit a little better with what I do, I prefer the sound.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I am best a "newb" when it comes to the bass, but I played both, and I really prefer the jazz.

The jazz bass seems more versatile because of it's direct, distinctive tone. You always hear it, but it sounds a little "classier" I guess. The P bass tends to blend more into the background, as a traditional "bass" sound, IE what you categorize as a "bass sound", the sterotypical thick bass tone.

I prefer the jazz neck. As a beginnier, the thing neck is making swiching from guitar (except for acoustic guitars at house parties!) to bass easy. The P neck felt intimidating to me, though I think I could grow to like it equally. The jazz is much better for the little few slap lines I know due to the great pickup spacing.

And what REALLY sells the jazz to me, is maybe a simple thing:

A place to rest my thumb comfortably, and NATURALLY. I find digging in, and moreso just always bracing off the top of the neck pickup comes so naturally to me. The instruments feel while sitting down is interesting too, with the offset body altering it's dynamics.

Conclusion: I prefer the Jazz, but I understand why someone would prefer the precision. The good news is that Leo Fender designed both and they are literally THE STANDARD when it comes to basses.
Ive prefer the jazz. Precision always sounds too muddy or bassy for me. Sadly, I own a P-bass and a PJ-bass.
Starting bass or just looking for a new one? Here's a suggestion: Go to your local music store and try some out.
I like jazz basses, they grrrrrrrrrrrrowl.
Plus the body is slightly better balanced IMO.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by 14shadesofblue
Jazz = more versatile, smaller neck

Precision = Bigger neck, more punchier feel (great for punk)

That's how I view it. I love the Jazz because it's versatile and feels great, but the P is great for punk and metal and the likes.. in my opinion anyways. Both have their pros and cons, it's all up to you though, you should go to a local store and mess around with both and different amps and see which sound and feel you like more, and you know, you can always try our a P&J combo. Everybody has different tastes so you can never completely rely on random answers on here, but yeah, I personally prefer Jazz basses.
Quote by Tatersalad1080
im down like a clown for the aerodyne man, mix it up a little, Ps and Js:P

Really!?

Because im up for some Urge II
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I just don't like the Split Coil Pickup lol!

I'm thinking about a 50's "Tele" precision Bass, just for a nice chunky percusive sound with i play hard with my fingers

which I can get on a Jazz bass.

The neck is the biggest thing about the Basses, I Have huge hands, but I prefer the smaller neck
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
I like the jazzes personally. to me they sound fuller than P basses.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!