Some UGers will know that I play keyboards. I mostly use it for the odd riff or few bars here and there.

But I feel I should be a lot better than I am. I already play scales and arpeggios, and know my theory pretty well.

So, what should I do so I can actually join bands on keyboards?

If ANYONEsays that 'modern bands use computers' or 'that's so 80s!' I will find their IP address, track them down and do horrible things to them!
I've actually had comments like this!
You need to be able to play by ear, improvise, and know all your chord shapes.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
You need to be able to play by ear, improvise, and know all your chord shapes.

But I've NEVER been able to play by ear....even on bass I can't do it. Don't know why.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
But I've NEVER been able to play by ear....even on bass I can't do it. Don't know why.

It's pretty much a necessity to be in a band, especially if you're playing keyboards- the other band members aren't going to bother to write sheet music out for you, or even chords.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

If you join a band, will you still be able to make threads about everything that happens to you?
Quote by smb
Banned? Harsh!

Yeah, I'm back.

On the whole ear thing, I have only been playing a few months so it might just be inexperience.