Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of a build and I need to get the neck pocket and pickup cavity routed TONIGHT because I'm heading back to college tomorrow. After that, all I need to do is sand, finish, assemble...all of which I can do while at college. The problem is, I don't have access to a router like I though I would. Are there other ways to go about this issue? My dad has a pretty large woodshop with a wide variety of tools, so please suggest away. (He doesn't have a router for me to use tonight. )

In case you want to take a look at my build, here's a recent photo:

Thanks,
Dan
you could drill small holes around the perimeter of the cavity to the depth you need, and then drill holes the same way in the middle everywhere, removing as much as possible, then clean it up with chisels
Would I be able to achieve something flat in that manner? I'm not too concerned with the pickup cavity, but the neck pocket needs to be totally level. I actually considered that before but I'm not sure if I'd be able to get the neck to fit right.
If you have a Drill Press, Use that. make sure you carefully mark out ALL cavities exacty where you want them, and use a fairly large bit to take a majority of the wood out. then, clean up with chisels, as noted above. good luck!
------

Shwiggity.
Ok, I'm going to go try the drill press (If it works..)
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

If anyone has any others, please don't hesitate to give them :P I might be back in if I don't feel the drilling process won't work well.

-Dan
Update: My dad told me not to use his router since I'm "unexperienced".
Well, I decided that the neck pocket, indeed, is to critical as Ippon said to mess up. So I just got done setting up a routing template for the neck pocket and set the router up for the proper depth. Now I just need to wait until my dad is definitely asleep then it's go time.

Thanks for the help.
Now I just need to wait until my dad is definitely asleep then it's go time.

you, sir, are the kind of craftsman that i am.

why bother taking classes when you can just teach yourself along the away?
------

Shwiggity.
did it work? or are you dead..
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
I masturbationed on my bus driver.
Quote by bob farrell
This man speaks the truth. Pleez to be videoing your horrific death kthxbai.
Quote by deftonesordie
If you have a Drill Press, Use that. make sure you carefully mark out ALL cavities exacty where you want them, and use a fairly large bit to take a majority of the wood out. then, clean up with chisels, as noted above. good luck!

+1

Get yourself a router bit, then use it in a drill press. Make sure that you ONLY plunge with the cutter - don't try moving the wood around.
It's odd that I noticed this on the front page...

UPDATE BECAUSE I FORGOT!

I ended up getting the neck pocket routed sucessfully, although not that night. My dad's router had issues and didn't want to risk ruining the body. I ended up borrowing a friend's router at school and did it in my apartment kitchen. The guitar is done now and works great. Thanks for all the help guys.

Perhaps someday I'll post finished pictures if I ever get a camera.

Cheers,
Dan
I bet it was fun cleaning up the kitchen afterward.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Quote by zeroyon
I bet it was fun cleaning up the kitchen afterward.

Haha... it wasn't bad actually. It was a solid floor, so a quick sweep did the job.