I play a lot of clapton, and blues. I'm looking for an amp at 400 bucks that's good for those types of music. Have a line 6 spider 3 120 Wtt, but i aint happy. What's the best for the buck?
Thanks
fender frontman..im not really sure if its under 400..
but its cheaper than a normal fender
...signature...
mmm... maybe a fender blues jr? $480 on musiciansfriend if you're willing to stretch a bit, or you can find one used

EDIT: NOOO, don't go for the frontman
Gear:
.Fender Classic Series '70s Stratocaster
.Peavey Classic 30
.Xotic BB Preamp
.MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
.Vox V847A Wah
.Boss RC-2 Loop Station
.Washburn WI-24 (first guitar )
Quote by Windwaker
a Peavey valveking?

thats what i use and i play country, rock, blues and clapton
Fender Standard Stratocaster w/ Hot Noiseless Pickups
G&L Asat Special Semi Hollow
Alvarez Artist AD80SSB Acoustic
Peavey Valve King 112
Roland Micro Cube
Nobel ODR-1 Pedal
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss CH-2
Boss FZ-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah
I Just got a Peavey amp and it's coming tomorrow (20 watts for $69.00) except I'm just starting bass.
little giant/blues jr/epi vj

maybe one of the low watt crate amps is low priced enough, they're pretty sweet too.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
epi valve jr
Gear:

2007 Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (MIA)

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

Yamaha Acoustic

Member of the Eric Johnson Worshippers Club.
I got a used fender blues jr for $325. It's really great and seems like it would fit your style.
the valveking would be able to do anything for the most part and it will do you style very well
i wouldnt go with the blackheart but maybe the fender's
I would NOT play the crate though, ive had many bad experiences with them, they dont do anything that well.
just try out many amps though
used classic 30. used blues junior. epiphone valve junior. black heart little giant
Do not get a Valveking.

Anything else is fair game from my perspective. Use your ears.
Perhaps check out the new Peavey Vyper range or a Peavey classic 30
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Quote by strat_7
epi valve jr

I agree, if I had to do this again and only had $400 I'd get a VJ head/cab and the best used multi I could get for $150 or maybe a Fulltone OCD.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Carvin Vintage16

Found that I was wondering if it was any good. Looks good by specifications. Never heard Carvin come up on this website either.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
first, go to your local guitar store and test out the amps everyone here has mentioned, choose one that you really like, go to craigslist and get a deal.

my suggestion be Peavey classic 30, or a Fender Hot rod deville if you can find one used
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
A used classic 30 seems right up your alley.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
used peavey classic 30 sounds perfect for you.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

I think it's funny that some suggest a classic 30 and a Blues Jr. in the same sentance. Those two amps sound so different. A blues Jr. is very bright, with a lot of treble. If you're playing a humbucker guitar, or will be sticking to the neck pickup on a strat, I think a Blues Jr sounds phenominal, but if you go anywhere near it with the bridge pickup on a strat, you'll curl the paint on your walls and wine glasses will crack 2 houses away.

A classic 30 has a darker (but not Vox dark) tone, which I consider much more neutral, though I'd put it on the dark side of neutral. A classic 30 with an EQ is a more versatile amp than a Blues JR. in my opinion, especially if you want some gain. I feel that the blues Jr doesn't have enough gain to really get to that Cream kind of sound.
Quote by Jim85IROC
I think it's funny that some suggest a classic 30 and a Blues Jr. in the same sentance. Those two amps sound so different. A blues Jr. is very bright, with a lot of treble. If you're playing a humbucker guitar, or will be sticking to the neck pickup on a strat, I think a Blues Jr sounds phenominal, but if you go anywhere near it with the bridge pickup on a strat, you'll curl the paint on your walls and wine glasses will crack 2 houses away.

A classic 30 has a darker (but not Vox dark) tone, which I consider much more neutral, though I'd put it on the dark side of neutral. A classic 30 with an EQ is a more versatile amp than a Blues JR. in my opinion, especially if you want some gain. I feel that the blues Jr doesn't have enough gain to really get to that Cream kind of sound.

It's true but both are decent amps for blues, it just depends what you want.
Quote by mcrfobtai
It's true but both are decent amps for blues, it just depends what you want.

I agree with you. Jim's descriptions were pretty spot on but they are both great amps that do similar things at similar price range therefore I often use them in the same sentance in certain contexts. Now, I dare someone to do a Blues Jr VS Classic 30 thread.

...oh, nevermind. Later.