Hi,

Ive been playing electric for a few years, and i am currently looking for my first acoustic. am looking for something around the £200 mark that has a good loud and full sound.

i tried a Yamaha (forgot the model) in a store a while back and it was great, it was priced at 200 but IMO sounded and played better than some guitars costing £400+ is Yamaha a good brand to start looking at.. what other makes/models should i try out?

Thanks for the input, is appreciated.
i have a yamaha and my friend with a very expensive martin thinks its a great guitar.
Gear:

2007 Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (MIA)

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

Yamaha Acoustic

Member of the Eric Johnson Worshippers Club.
Just for example.. could anyone here compare the quality of a;

Washburn D-46S

to the similarly priced

Yamaha FG730S?

just wondering because ive heard before the yamahas are the ones to go for in this price range
On reputation alone I'd go with the Yamaha. I've played only a few and sparingly, but Washburns are just OK, Yamaha though makes other vary nice (and inexpensive) instruments.

If you are transitioning from electric guitar I'd recommend you look at Ovations (not the Audition line, but real Ovations). They have slim electric style necks and more shallow bodies. The newer models sound better than they did 10-15 years ago.
Discolored skin gives me away.
Quote by jcthomasva
On reputation alone I'd go with the Yamaha. I've played only a few and sparingly, but Washburns are just OK, Yamaha though makes other vary nice (and inexpensive) instruments.

If you are transitioning from electric guitar I'd recommend you look at Ovations (not the Audition line, but real Ovations). They have slim electric style necks and more shallow bodies. The newer models sound better than they did 10-15 years ago.

Thanks for that will have a look at ovations, although I don't like thin necks, Im more used to lespaul/sg necks so I'm ok with acoustic style necks.

Any other names to look out for? Thanks
also... I was wondering if there is a difference to a 'folk' style guitar.. (This is what yamaha class theirs as)

And a drednought style?
Dreadnought refers to a size, although there are not any real standards that the manufacturers adhere to so there is some variation between Company A's dreadnought and Company B's. Dreadnoughts are usually larger bodied.

A folk guitar = an acoustic guitar. When people talk about "folk guitar" they are usually discussing a playing style, not an instrument. If and when anyone calls the instrument in question a "folk guitar" its to distinguish it from a "classical guitar" which is technically also acoustic, but strung with nylon strings and not steel. This saves them the trouble of having to call it a "steel-string acoustic guitar". :-)

Take a gander at this link:
http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/guitars/acoustic/buying-guide.php

I can't really recommend any other brands, but you've got plenty of options at your price-point. Other brands to consider are Takamine, Alvarez, Fender, Epiphone, Dean, Ibanez (who make excellent electric guitars)...the list goes on.
Discolored skin gives me away.