Page 1 of 2
Discuss your favorite Delta Blues artists. Like Skip James and whatnot.

:stickpoke

doit
Thank ****ing god, a proper thread!

I've been digging Charley Patton a lot recently, his voice is the epitome of blues. He shows blues doesn't have to be a 12 bar pattern all the time with the same kinda lyrical pattern in every song which is pretty important when it comes to song writing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGsAh2jx6JA - Toon
Charley Patton has an insane vocal pattern. It modulates and swings so violently.

I acquired a bunch of random stuff the other day, but I can't for the life of me remember the names of the artists.
Lately I've been listening to Blind Willie Johnson. While he is from Texas, he still has that raw gospel delta blues sound to me. That was the sounds you heard coming from the church socials during the 50's and 60's in southern Mississippi.
Son House is my guy. So distinctive, passionate and raw. His life story is just as amazing as his music, too.
After his field recordings for Alan Lomax, all Lomax gave him was a bottle of coke, but Son House later seemed to shrug it off (probably due to his increased fame) saying "All he gave me was a bottle of coke. But it was good and cold."

I love me some Delta Blues, really any kind of acoustic blues.

Son House and Robert Johnson get the most listening time. I havent ever really listened to any Charley Patton, I have to get on that.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Blind Willie Johnson is my favorite delta bluesmen. Amazing slide player combined with a not-so-amazing yet extremely interesting voice. Like Jello Biafra in a way.

Jack my swag
I love Mississippi Fred McDowell. His slide work is so raw. It gives me chills to listen to sometimes.
Has anyone given Big Bill Broonzy a good listen? He's fantastic.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by oopich
I love Mississippi Fred McDowell. His slide work is so raw. It gives me chills to listen to sometimes.

His slide work is raw because he used a Rib Bone!
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Has anyone given Big Bill Broonzy a good listen? He's fantastic.

He's what is classified as Piedmont Blues or Country Blues (which is basically classified differently because of the lack of slide guitar). But yeah, he was awesome. His hands moved so damn fast!
Quote by ze monsta
He's what is classified as Piedmont Blues or Country Blues (which is basically classified differently because of the lack of slide guitar). But yeah, he was awesome. His hands moved so damn fast!

Yeah, I just figured it was close enough.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I haven't posted in blues and jazz in so long. I feel so guilty .

Anyways, I got a lot of delta blues and country blues the other day off of archive.org's 78rpm collection. It's free stuff because the copyrights are expired or something. CHeck it out, some awesome **** on there.

Also, how come no one ever told me how awesome Charley Patton is? (I know you did but I didn't listen...)
Quote by j_hunter_hkr
Son House is my guy. So distinctive, passionate and raw. His life story is just as amazing as his music, too.

+1, I completely agree. I also like Robert Johnson a lot. I need to find more Delta Blues, though, b/c those 2 are all I have.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Elmore James. His version of "The Sky is Crying" defines the blues; it's what I think of when I think of blues.
For those that don't know, Charlie Patton is damn near where everything started if you look at the recorded history of the blues.
Answer if you can

Anyway, I want to find some old Delta Blues vinyls. That would be teh awesome.
Quote by akack
Anyone love John Lee Hooker as much as I do?

No.

I love him more.
Quote by ze monsta
I think Goolz homolove for JLH is unmatched.

It's not homo.

It's masculine admiration taken to an extreme.

Get it right.

Boogie Chillun=
Quote by akack
Goolz has met his match then.

I can't stop listening to That's My Story.

Lies.
Quote by akack

Your fanboiizm cannot match mine.

And I'm feeling teh Mississippi Fred McDowell lately.
NO UT WINT!!!!

Mine is over 9000!!!!!

But anyway...

I don't have my computer, so I don't have access to all my bl00z
It's broke

Corrupted hard drive ftl.
No

But I have my old computer with half the music I had.
Half my Johnny Lee and all my Johnny Shines, Blind Willie Johnson, Skip James, Sonny Terry, Lightnin Hopkins, and Mississippi Fred McDowell are gone
Jurney makes me
Page 1 of 2