have a question about the E harmonic minor scale
Is it still in the key of e minor since e minor has only one sharp (F#)
E natural minor e f# g a b c d
E Harmonic minor e f# g a b c d#
E Melodic minor e f# g a b c# d#
I Also what Locrian mode Do I used for the key of Gm/Em?
G major scale g a b c d e f#
Would I use the F# Locrian scale for the key of E minor ?
Are their any other scales in the key of Eminor?
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Yes, it would still be in the key of Em. Harmonic and melodic minor are scales rather than keys.

There are plently of "minor" scales and modes which you can use. Dorian, Phrygian and Locrian are considered minor modes although locrian has a half-diminished chord blah blah blah. You could also use pentatonics.
so i should use a g major pentatonic
and a e minor one right?
Quote by Stress Cow
Quote by theocao
so i should use a g major pentatonic
and a e minor one right?

If you are in E minor, you are not playing the G major pentatonic. The harmony determines the mode (for lack of a better term than "mode")
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
well i went on guitar pro and it said that D major pentatonic had the same notes as e major
(only 1 sharp)
Quote by Stress Cow
Quote by theocao
well i went on guitar pro and it said that D major pentatonic had the same notes as e major
(only 1 sharp)

Are you saying D major pentatonic and E major pentatonic? Because D major pentatonic has a D natural and E major (not pentatonic) has a D#, so they obviously do not match up.

If the chords in your progression imply E Harmonic Minor (meaning the notes that make up the chords in your progression include the notes E F# G A B C D#), then you will use the E Harmonic Minor scale and the modes of the E Harmonic Minor scale for melodies and solos, which are different from the modes of the Major scale.
Last edited by PSM at Aug 22, 2008,
E harmonic minor e f# g a b c d#
D major pentatonic d e f# a b
I guess ican raise the D in the d major pentatonic a half step to make it d sharp
oh
you can do modes for a minor scale too o.o
Quote by Stress Cow
theocao, you need to continue studying. most of what you're saying sounds like confused gibberish.
no I meant make the D into a d sharp just the note D not the entire scale
D major pentatonic d e f# a b
D major pentatonic with the D note raise one half step D# e F# a b
Quote by Stress Cow
Quote by theocao
you can do modes for a minor scale too o.o

Yes. The modes of the natural minor scale are the same as the major scale modes, and the modes of harmonic and melodic minor are different altogether. In particular, the melodic minor modes come up a fair bit in jazz.
Quote by Donswald
theocao, you need to continue studying. most of what you're saying sounds like confused gibberish.
Why would you do this? If your going to spam, at least add a joke in, instead of an insult. That should be an MT rule, if its funny (and vagely related) its not spam.

Anyway. Mr T/S, I think you should keep it simple. Unless your playing the changes (this is where you play something different for each chord), try to use the same scale as the songs key. If its in minor, use minor scales (not X locrian).

Although I get what you mean about the D major pentatonic and raising its root, and it might sound simple in theory, but in practise its gonna be a pain in the arse.
Quote by demonofthenight
Why would you do this? If your going to spam, at least add a joke in, instead of an insult. That should be an MT rule, if its funny (and vagely related) its not spam.

I wasn't insulting him at all, in the least. I was giving him an honest response- that most of what he was saying didn't make sense, that he sounded confused, and that the best thing for him to do would be to just continuing studying the music theory faq. That's what it's meant for, right? To remedy confusion? Come on, I'm anything but a dick. I've never spammed or insulted anybody here.
Last edited by Donswald at Aug 23, 2008,
well when I raise the root of the d pentatonic it actually sounds good with the E harmonic minor but yea I'll just keep reading more theory
Quote by Stress Cow