So I have been playing for over years now. I had lessons about 2 times but stopped because the teacher was not really a teacher...First time I saw him he just inspected my bass (s squire p bass at the time) and he took care of a bowing neck. Second time I went, I told him I want to learn Deal With the Preacher by Bad Company. He got out the sheet music and put it in front of me. He knew that I did not know how to read music, but he told me to figure it out. I asked help from him and he would give it, but was angry when I asked. So I gave up on that. Now that you know a little bit about my background, let's go to the problem...

I have developed a good technique and can play some songs that can be considered difficult, but my weakness lies in witting. I am not talking about writting riffs or anything like that, I mean just a little solo piece I guess you could call it.I just get off to a start and decide I do not like it and keep starting over. I am here now trying to write, I have little ideas, but I can not expand off of them.

Any suggestions?
Awh man, I have the same problem, usually I'll just have my guitarist record a chord progression and I'll try and improvise over that.

Edit: Usually I'll improvise in the pentatonic scales when I don't have a backing track even if it is just straight up and down the scale.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
I had the same problem as you in that I was self taught from tabs. What really helped me was learning some scales and a little music theory. This site has all different scales that you can play. What I did, and what I think most people do, is just play those until you are familiar with them then just vary further and further from them until you have riffs. From there I just try to find ways of linking things together by what sounds good and flows.

I also jam a lot with my friend who is an excellent drummer and that is another great way to write.

http://www.bassmasta.net/b/bass_lessons/
Quote by max355
Hating the 49rs is like hating the retarded kid in class.

The Cowboys, weed, and bass. My three loves
zachissupercool is correct. listen to him.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
start learning like five new songs a day and all the new information going through your brain will start interacting and make you see things in different ways. and your welcome for me not badmouthing you for being a bass player when you are very well set up for a third degree burn.
PS what ever you do make it funky i mean like the stinky nasty funk that has to be said twice like "funk, funk" just to be comprehended start learning george clinton and cameo bass lines
Last edited by MichaelOfCanton at Aug 19, 2008,
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
start learning like five new songs a day and all the new information going through your brain will start interacting and make you see things in different ways. and your welcome for me not badmouthing you for being a bass player when you are very well set up for a third degree burn.

why am I "set up"?
Quote by MichaelOfCanton

oh, I know exactly what to do with guitarists like you...

I suggest running, boy.

:p

just kidding.

but seriously, we have bigger instruments.

34 inches of instrument.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by IRONxPANTERA
why am I "set up"?

I dont park in handicapped spaces and i dont make fun of bassists. do not ask me to park in the spot up front.
Quote by the humanity
oh, I know exactly what to do with guitarists like you...

I suggest running, boy.

:p

just kidding.

but seriously, we have bigger instruments.

34 inches of instrument.

i could put a beatin on you in a rock off with a ukelele and a kazoo
I'll use a nose flute and a washboard.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

zach said it all, man. scales. learn them.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

first learn the natural major and minor scales then learn the modes of each.
After that learn the pentatonics and be sure to practice all of them ALOT.
Before you know it, you'll be able to tell what scale such and such bassist is using for whatever song he's playing and it'll be much easier to write your own stuff.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
I'm sure there's the major and minor scales for bass tabbed somewhere in the misc section on this sight. Just learn those first, and practice until you can buy Hal leonards Bass method or Bass guitar for dummies.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
I actually had the same problem. I could play solos from other songs but I couldn’t make up my own but I have recently got over this problem this is how:
I have used other solos from songs and changed them to fit the song I have made up. I know that because I am using other song that it is not my work but it is only to learn. Also try some scales get use to them then match scales to other scales and you’ve got a simple solo.
Last edited by Brendan11 at Aug 19, 2008,