like this one. http://www.fender.com/customshop/instruments/search.php?partno=0150066800

or john mayer's strat.....the one in this vid. you get a good look at about 2:36

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEgUUTkqRRQ

thanks!
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
...Beat it up?

I saw one of those how its made type shows and they were at the fender factory and they pretty much hit them with miniature flail things to put dents and scratches on them.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
play it.

not to bash guitar relicing, but i'm sick and tired of everyone 'cheating' their way into thinking they have a "vintage" guitar.

"well, it's all banged up, it looks old, therefore it has to be vintage!"

NO.

play the damn thing, sh!t will happen to it, and there will be stories behind every ding and scratch. that's what makes a guitar vintage.
------

Shwiggity.
Lol.....is that really how they make them in the custom shop? how do they get it so exact?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
its called "relic"...ing...google it...ive got to agree with the "use it" idea though...no point in ****ing up a decent guitar unless youve got something behind it
Send me your guitar and I'll send it back so beat up, it'll look like a relatively new low end Ibanez RG.
I get very tense around apples...Well, I get very tense generally. I think I've fallen into the trap of blaming fruit.

Jeff

Peavey Studio Pro 112 for sale. Anyone want it?
Time.

Or if you prefer the easy route, just invite over some friends and get some sharp and heavy things and attack it.
Gear:
Schecter 006 Elite
Dean VX
Some Memphis 3/4th Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w
Quote by xgregoryx
+1 on the use it idea.

either that or just wear it and run around the house with it on, it'll smack into everything and look aged, AND you will have a story behind it. lol

+infinity!

awesome idea.
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
I masturbationed on my bus driver.
Quote by bob farrell
This man speaks the truth. Pleez to be videoing your horrific death kthxbai.
play it till it wears out.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
You know what I'm tired of? People who can't accept that some people just like the look of a beat up guitar.

"Play it", well some people takes care of their guitars. Their guitars wouldn't have that beat up look even if they played it 24-7.

So if someone wants a guitar with beat up looks, fake relic it. It wont look like that by just playing it if you're not a clumsy person or a person who doesnt take care of your guitar.
Empty tankard! Empty Tankard!
Respray it with nitro laquer, then play it. Modern guitar finishes won't wear down easily.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Drag it along a gravel drive, then bash it against the floor a bit. If you really want to , put it in a fire for a few minutes. Just make sure you take the pickups out first...
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by deftonesordie
play it.

not to bash guitar relicing, but i'm sick and tired of everyone 'cheating' their way into thinking they have a "vintage" guitar.

NO.

play the damn thing, sh!t will happen to it, and there will be stories behind every ding and scratch. that's what makes a guitar vintage.

Here was me thinking that a guitar being 25+ (or 30 according to some people) years old is what made it vintage...not the condition of the paint.

Anyways, as stated, a modern guitar with a Poly finish won't wear down like SRV's guitars etc. You can either pick up something like a Highway One which has a Nitro finish (and are excellent guitars, btw), attempt a custom build with a nitro finish or buy an old guitar which has a nitro finish.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
take off the neck, get a bag of woodchips and just start hitting it with it, and then rubbing in the woodchips

then set it on fire and cook marshmellows
Get a chain, and whack it.
Thats what TG Mag told me.

take everything off first.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Quote by xgregoryx
or just lend it to untrustworthy friends for short amounts of time.

Hahaha...thats a good and reliable way to bash a guitar.

Anywho, If you take it anywhere just slap a strap on it and sling it in the car, I've gotton a few dents in guitars from transporting that way. And just walking around the house with the guitar in general.

EDIT: Don't actually sling the guitar into the vehicle...but transporting with out a case is a sure fire way to get dents and scratches.

Cheers!
Surf Rock the World

'Shark Bait'
Coming soon.
Last edited by RazzRocket at Aug 20, 2008,
Wow Fender even have a "Closet Classic" custom shop model that looks like its been left in a closet unplayed for 50 years.

I guess the only way to beat your guitar up is to play it and gig with it alot I guess.
How long does poly finish hold up? Like if I played my black MIM tele on a daily basis for the next 10 years, would it wear under the forearm at all? I've had it for a year and it hasn't even lost any shine.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

I don't know exactly how to go about this, but when Slash got a new Les Paul some years ago, he had it stripped down and re-finished. So, there's gonna be some guy you can take it to, maybe if you asked in a local guitar store?

Also, Gilby Clarke states that to get a really cool worn effect on a les paul of his, his guitar tech set fire to it
I heard somewhere that John Mayer's black relic strat was actually relic'd not just an old guitar. So there you go. I think I heard it from the MyStupidMouth forum, which is basically a john mayer forum.

Yeah I like that relic strat of his as well.
This thread is funny as! haha +100000 for the whole thread. I like the but about ''his guitar tech set fire to it'' I wouldn't be able to watch my guitar burn, the only guitar that deserves that is a V
my mustang is only 4 months old and it already have wear marks all over.
but my tele is 2yrs old and no marks at all so it maybe how good of a paint job it was given, natural wear that is

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Last edited by Nagashiro at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by Nagashiro
my mustang is only 4 months old and it already have wear marks all over.
but my tele is 2yrs old and no marks at all so it maybe how good of a paint job it was given, natural wear that is

I can't believe how tough the finish on my MIM tele is, I often walk around the house with it strapped on, just strumming unplugged, and I walked it into a doorway yesterday. Took a chunk out of the door frame, can't find a mark on the guitar.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Quote by deftonesordie

THIS.
If you want it to look old "NOW" be ruthless with it, don't do a relicing job, cos that can end up looking fake, just be very uncareful with it, be fine with dropping it, banging it, whatever, this, unintentionally, has worked on my red squier, it now looks pretty old (I wet+dry'd the finish cos originally I was going to respray it, but i decided against so I now just have a real thin finish, thus, easier wear).

However if you do plan to do a relicing job, please do it well, make sure it doesn't end up looking how the Joe Strummer fender tele looks, cos in person, that looks very fake.
I saw a relicing video that said to heat up the paint with a hair dryer and then spray it with compressed air canisters to get the checking and cracks in the finish. I never plan on doing that, but I thought it was a good idea if you're into the relic look.
When I play, I usually end up rolling around on top of my pedalboard amidst a drenching wave of feedback, hitting things against the guitar (mic stands, slides, drumsticks...)

do that.
Quote by Mecler
I saw a relicing video that said to heat up the paint with a hair dryer and then spray it with compressed air canisters to get the checking and cracks in the finish. I never plan on doing that, but I thought it was a good idea if you're into the relic look.

That's an awesome idea, I'll hafta try that if I build a reliced Saga Telecaster next, I think the problem is that relic guitars don't tend to have much of the "don't be careful with it: drop it and a bit of the paint chips off" type of damage to them, they're mostly wear, which I would probably try doing by VERY CAREFULLY sanding down the clear topcoat, and then just rubbing the hell out of the paint underneath. I would also suggest emailing the guy from guitarattack.com because it seems like he's gotten great results with making relic guitars.
MIJ Jackson Kelly
Fender Frontman 15G
^+1 to the guitarattack guy. great website, great guy, and he responds to emails within 24 hours!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by deftonesordie
play it.

NO.

this man knows what he's saying... to beat up a guitar you play it til your 30....
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
relicing didn't start out as a technique for making fake vintage guitars, it was first used to age sections of guitars to hide obvious repairs, so when they glue the headstock back on an old les paul the fresh paint on the neck doesn't give it away.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
How long does poly finish hold up? Like if I played my black MIM tele on a daily basis for the next 10 years, would it wear under the forearm at all? I've had it for a year and it hasn't even lost any shine.

I'm wondering about this aswell, I've had my MIM Strat for about.. 2 or 3 years, and there is still absolutely no signs of wear in the finnish.
HI
Off topic, but I always thought the paint of on John Mayer's Strat has sort of gone the same way as Rory Gallagher's...

And Rory's...

Rory got that 'paintjob' by getting it stolen, and finding it in a ditch in the rain.
Cam Sampbell's my hero