Not the best title, but its near enough 4 am, and I need advice!

Now its nearing the end of another glorious british summer, and all them collegey eductated people are dissapearing off to university, this includes the drummer and guitarist/vocalist from my band, the latter is staying in birmingham however.

The drummer is off to sheffield and as such the band is on hiatus until further notice after August 30th (Our last booked gig).

However,a while ago Paul (guitarist/vocalist, it just seems rude not giving his name,like he's some kind of object) and I had an idea for a side project, focusing more on our less straight forward rock influences, such as NIN/DFA1979/little bit of Ministry and all that jazz, with just him,I and a drum machine.

Now for this project I wanna be able to have some cool sort of synthy, but not exactly synth, just sort of, strange nosies, but not novelty sounding ones, stuff that can be used to add to a bass line not take over it, its hard to explain. But something to keep it from sounding totally like just a bass, something experimental sounding that I can play around with...

To help with my budget Im gonna sell one of my basses and just save basically, but I need some ideas, I mean a bass whammy I think would be great, but I dont have 700 quid, and you guys have much more knowledge than me, so what dyu all suggest?

cheers in advance
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
envelope filters, auto wah, and echo.

oh yeah.

then do simple, catchy main riffs with complex fills.

think funky, sound chunky.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Well obviously you want distortion.

Beyond that it's really up to your taste. The DFA sound is just chorus before the distortion and a guitar wah for odd bits.

I tend to play this sort of thing on synths rather than bass - using dissonant sounding chords and envelope filter usually does it for me. I think the important thing is not to get carried away turning your sound into effects mush and thinking about what you're playing.
Something I'd like to do actually is get a delay or something with an expression pedal so you can let it all go to hell then bring it back together.
To smb, yeah the turning my sound into just effects is something I want to avoid, distortion I figured, got the boss odb-3 but got my eye on the lorenzo hyperdrive, tried it a while ago, and was pretty tasty and a lot more usuable than the boss, much more subtleties in my opinion....and a chorus, hmm, got a cheap bass chorus, but its pretty lame, what would you recommend, as its an effect I like.

EDIT: Delay Ive never really messed with, but Im interested in,am I wrong in thinking you can sue guitar delay on a bass without it going all wonky? and again,a pedal recomendation would be appreciated

you've all done very well
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Last edited by skippy_moogoose at Aug 19, 2008,
Cheers miss G
dyu know how much low end dyu lose from a whammy? I realise there's a thread about that, but when I looked no-one had answered that question

Ive been told by friends the micro synth is great on its own but with other pedals sounds bleurgh
Quote by the humanity
no idea, but if you want make a bass sound like something different maybe losing low end isn't a bad thing?

the micro synth seems like it would be amazing
good point with the whammy

I play a short-scale anyway,so Im already not a true bassist, what do I care about losing low end, hell, I should go buy a big muff!!

in all seriouness, I probabaly will try a whammy,could be fun, thanks for the tip, and your geddy lee is a nice addition to your collection btw!!
Quote by the humanity
low end is important for synth pop, imo.

I think the boss will do ya fine.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Build ya a little rack mount synth system with synth modules

http://www.synthesizers.com/cabinets.html#qcr8

http://www.synthesizers.com/

Get an oscillator, and ring mod, Filter, a noise gen would be cool maybe a reverb, lots of options, but make sure u get the instrument Interface module, so u can use guitar/bass/vocals instead of a key controller.

(EDIT) I didnt read the entire first post maybe this isnt the best idea for you...Idk

Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club.
Last edited by orion91 at Aug 20, 2008,
Dual-amp. Have one signal super fuzzy synthy and blend it with a smooth bass tone for t3h lulz
[IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/Fuzzycows5157/canada.bmp[/IMG]
Splitter box or pedal with two outputs

Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club.
I believe it's called an A+Y+B pedal.

or something like that.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Flanger and tapping harmonics makes for some swirling, unearthly sounds that you can let ring while playing other stuff (if you tap open harmonics or can hold the appropriate fret while still playing).
Quote by orion91
Splitter box or pedal with two outputs

so i could use my boss tu-2 to bi-amp? it has a bypass and an output.

on topic, add a bit of delay and play around in chordal structures. ei: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NQARh9exKQ

i personally think it sounds amazing
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Get a synth and/or softsynth that can process external audio (absynth, ms2000, etc.)

a good fuzz pedal is always nice for quick evil grit
what delay pedals should I look at?
Quote by the humanity
I have an Ibanez SB7, its pretty cheap, you should check it out.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by skippy_moogoose
what delay pedals should I look at?

I have been really impressed with the clarity of the MXR Carbon Copy. It doesn't have some of the options that the Boss DD series of delays have, but the sound quality is much better in my opinion.
cheers jiimy, Ill check both out
Quote by the humanity
pitch shifter and octaver...makes weird ass sounds when paired with distortion