I was wondering how much work putting an Evo bridge humbucker in my FSR MIM Strat. Obviously the holes are for single coil only right now, and the pick guard is a pearl white. I also noticed that the bridge single coil in horizontal. What does this do and does my new humbucker have to be placed the same way? Thanks.
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order"
- Douglas Adams
Well you would probably have to do a bit of routing in the guitar body as well as get a new pickguard. It wouldn't have to be angled like your current bridge pickup though. If you haven't worked on a guitar before, I advise you to get someone who knows what they're doing to do it for you.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
Well you would probably have to do a bit of routing in the guitar body as well as get a new pickguard. It wouldn't have to be angled like your current bridge pickup though. If you haven't worked on a guitar before, I advise you to get someone who knows what they're doing to do it for you.

all strats i've ever taken the pickguard off of have had the bridge routed for a humbucker.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Strates are already routed for HSH, so you just have to get a new pickguard and rewire.
Quote by Pyrofretnic
Strates are already routed for HSH, so you just have to get a new pickguard and rewire.

It's genius!

Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by forsaknazrael
^It depends. A lot of MIM Fenders do, not all MIA Fenders do.

That said, an Evo in a Strat sounds like a bad idea: lots and lots of treble....

Really? Why's that? I mean I have a Hot Rails but I know thats not really the pickup I want in there...
- Douglas Adams
Well, I own a Carvin Legacy, and being a big Steve Vai fan I wanted a bit of his sound and I knew Evo's were hot, but I seems like I didn't put much thought into it...

Lets see, the band I'm in covers Weezer, Coldplay, Barenaked Ladies, heavy soft rock to rock type of stuff. But I also like blues in which case the plan was to keep the tex mex neck and middle single coil pickups in. My amp can do up to Iron Maiden so I don't really want a metal sound. Too difficult for me to play anyway. But my single coil now sounds way too thin, it's got a nice midrange punch but sucks with any sort of distortion. I'm looking for a pickup that will give me a beautiful lead sound and all formentioned stuff.

I'm asking a lot, I guess
- Douglas Adams
Well, in a nut shell, sounds to me like you need something fatter, and that can handle rock well.

I would check under your pickguard, to make sure it's got a humbucker route. Then, I would check out a Seymour Duncan TB-11 Custom Custom.

A lot of people use the neck for leads, btw. Perhaps try that, for your smooth leads, too.
I was a Vai fan and put 2 Evos in my Japanese strat long ago, it's being retransformed right now by my guitar tech (ok, my dad... lol) and I'm putting a hot rail in there. Evos don't make you sound like Steve Vai, for that I'ld say good tube amp, boss DS-1 and pretty high end rack delay units. His tone is awesome, but when you don't play Vai stuff, it's pretty useless
Thread starter, what you need is a DiMarzio BREED (steve vai also has these on his guitars)

They have smooth shaved treble, and tons of mids and bass... just what you need to fatten the sound of a strat up a great deal. I have one in my strat in the bridge position and it sounds really rich and thick.

The Evo pickups are going to sound really ice picky and shrill in a strat because the pickup itself is EQ'ed with a ton of treble and a stratocaster is a bright guitar. I'd very strongly advise against it.

Go for the BREED One of the warmest humbuckers there is.
Quote by Business
I was a Vai fan and put 2 Evos in my Japanese strat long ago, it's being retransformed right now by my guitar tech (ok, my dad... lol) and I'm putting a hot rail in there. Evos don't make you sound like Steve Vai, for that I'ld say good tube amp, boss DS-1 and pretty high end rack delay units. His tone is awesome, but when you don't play Vai stuff, it's pretty useless

His DS-1 is also Keeley modded, btw...
I'd be inclined to go with a Breed here too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com