I have recently started playing double bass but the teacher is only teaching me classical sh**. I want to know what songs I can learn that are in the jazz or rock genre. Any suggestions would be good.
mr. Krinkle.

and some rockabilly or psychobilly.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Classical will get you farther in music than aimlessly playing metallica riffs over and over your double bass...
but take some inspiration from Aplocalyptica if you want.
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Quote by Dwardom
Classical will get you farther in music than aimlessly playing metallica riffs over and over your double bass...
but take some inspiration from Aplocalyptica if you want.

haha +1 nothing is more awesome than a mesh of influences in a song, such as classical (symphony x anyone)
Take 5 is a nice jazz combo piece and it's pretty simple to.

Link to the song.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Last edited by Victory2134 at Aug 20, 2008,
Duke Ellington and Charles Mingus are two names you should look up for some killer bass parts

even though Duke didn't play bass his arrangements are still solid
Traben Array Custom 5-String
Acoustic 170 Combo
Line 6 Bass Pod

Quote by Victory2134
Take 5 is a nice jazz combo piece and it's pretty simple to.

Link to the song.

i like that song. its fun. we play it on jazz band but they want me to learn how to play the fretless bass even though i play left handed with a righty and i cant see the frets. hmm if your recommending take 5. than i recommend he should just get a jazz book from his local guitar store.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Quote by matosh.lee
i like that song. its fun. we play it on jazz band but they want me to learn how to play the fretless bass even though i play left handed with a righty and i cant see the frets. hmm if your recommending take 5. than i recommend he should just get a jazz book from his local guitar store.

Yeah, that too.
My school doesn't have a jazz band .
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
El fin te Vi, its arranged for two basses in either last months or the month befores bass player magazine, if you can play the clarinet part, you get a cookie.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Try Lovecats by The Cure. Simple but very very cool.
Find some John Hatton (Brian Setzer Orchestra), Lee Rocker(Stray Cats), Kim Nekroman (Nekromantix), Jimbo Wallace (Reverend Horton Heat), etc., if you want some good rockabilly/psychobilly.

Those genres are really good for upright bass.

Also, Mr. Krinkle and Over The Falls (both by Primus, Les Claypool is a badass) have double bass parts.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs