I came up with a chord progression and I'm using it as an intro and verse to a song I'm writing. Now what I want to know is how I find out what key it is in so that I know what I can use for the chorus and bridge.
its usually the first note u play
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
I look at the first four chords or so and write down each note in each chord
and base it off that.
For example, if F# was the only accidental you saw, it is likely to be in G Major/E Minor
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Last edited by Dwardom at Aug 20, 2008,
Quote by Dwardom
I look at the first four chords or so and write down each note in each chord
and base it off that.
For example, if F# was the only accidental you saw, it is likely to be in G Major/Bb Minor

wouldnt is be Gmajor/E minor?
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
wouldnt is be Gmajor/E minor?

Fixed.
I just noticed.
If it was Bb Major it would share the notes of G Minor.
Just got reversed. My mistake.
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
*Does math for all to see*
C#m7=C,Eb,G,Bb
Amaj7=A,C#,E,G
Gmaj7=G,B,D,F
B7=B,D#,F#,A
There are three accidentals here
C#,D#,A#/Db,Eb,Bb
I don't think it's enough information.
Any fellow UGers wanna help me out?

EDIT: Is it Bmajor or G#minor?
Last edited by Dwardom at Aug 20, 2008,
Well I have no idea, it has E F# G G# A B C C# D and D# in it

EDIT:

Gmaj7=G,B,D,F#
rawr

I'll let you do it.

It's E major/C#Minor
It is most likely E major
Quote by Dwardom

I'll let you do it.

It's E major/C#Minor
It is most likely E major

+ a shitload of notes and not having an E major chord in there? C# minor MIGHT fit, seeing as though there's a C# minor chord in there, though there is a lot of notes in there (The only notes NOT in there are F and A#)

I have no clue WHAT key you would put this as, Ignore the 7's and you have :C#m, A maj, G maj, B maj, Other than the B major everything would be right for the key of C#m, I'd say C#m is the closest key to play in (C#, D#, E, F#, G#, A, B, C#).
rawr
I just checked and everything fits in E major except for the 3rd chord. Wouldn't the G need to be sharped?
Quote by Zycho
I just checked and everything fits in E major except for the 3rd chord. Wouldn't the G need to be sharped?

Not necessarily.
For the sake of simple intervals, it works as a natural note.
Quote by Dwardom
Not necessarily.
For the sake of simple intervals, it works as a natural note.

So even though one of the chords is a little off I'll still be safe in the key of E major?
Quote by Zycho

Everything would be diatonic then, Yes.

If you like the way it sounds though, Just keep it that way, I'd say C#minor would be the best key to play in, still.

Sometimes having chords out of key sounds good, If it's appealing to you, don't change it.
rawr
Alright, thanks a lot guys, key signatures make a lot more sense now.