Page 2 of 74
After playing around with recording, I'm going to have to try again later. I have to set up each amp model that I want to record because the presets are buzzy because the gain is usually set to max.

I'll upload what I've got, please excuse my playing... I get really nervous whenever I hit record

Uploading now, I'll edit this post in a few

EDIT:
Here it is Link

Recorded using just my fat strat, with just a really simple chugga chugga. One thing that was really bothering me was the was a .5 to 1 sec delay between playing and the monitor on the recording, really screwed me up.

The order of amps is
XXX
JSX
Rec
K-Stien
Dzl

It sounds better when each model is set up right but I don't have the patience right now.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Last edited by thefrigginbob at Aug 20, 2008,
Just direct input. I didn't bother setting up a mic because of the stock speaker.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
so directly to PC? Gotcha. I've got one of those Lightsnakes. I wish I could send it to you because I don't use it and it has a built in sound card to 'push' the signal and bring it to PC at 44htz and taking delay out.

when I record with my Canon camera (I know, not the greatest either) a 3 minute clip is like 3 Mgs but you lose the quality by the time I convert to Audacity and then back to MP3.

Ah I never really did direct recording before, I didn't know you needed such a thing

I'll see if I can make it smaller.

I don't really know how to make it smaller, usually I use garage band(which I'm more familiar with) but I'm trying this on reaper.

But I compressed it to a .rar so you can have an easier download.

Link
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Last edited by thefrigginbob at Aug 20, 2008,
I'm the guy who said the 30w wasn't very portable, but it seems my statement was taken a little more extreme then it was. It's definitely doable to carry it with one hand, but I'm not carrying this thing down the street. As far as one handed with a guitar and back-back, it depends where you're going. I wouldn't walk home from school with it (Then again, it was a 3 mile walk to my high school..) but it shouldn't be much of a problem to walk to a bus or car or something.

I'm guessing it's the latter since I would never walk down the street with a guitar and a nice, theft worthy looking combo amp (I don't feel comfortable walking the streets with anything valuable without a free hand....just in case), you'll probably be fine.
well, you don't need it, but unless you have a kick ass sound card it is hard for a PC and stock sound card to handle the signal, thus the delay. The Lightsnake and StealthPlugs have built in sound cards that make the conversions before it hits PC. Most folks can't seem to get them to work including me.

I think my Cannon actually records in .SDR (sound recorder) and then I have to Import into Audacity and then Export as MP3.

There are certainly other options. How long was recording? Maybe chop it up into smaller peices. I know....more work.

311zoso
How is the distortion on the amp? I'm in the market for a 10-15 watt practice amp and need something to play Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer type music. Can this amp do it decently (considering the price), or will I need to get a distortion pedal?
Quote by Brownie2
How is the distortion on the amp? I'm in the market for a 10-15 watt practice amp and need something to play Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer type music. Can this amp do it decently (considering the price), or will I need to get a distortion pedal?

You can dial in any distortion you want on the amp itself. It sounds great considering the amp is the price of a pedal.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/danyellenik/music/

The clip is in there, so people don't need to download it

Maybe put it in your first post? (link to my music so people can hear the clip without downloading because i know a lot of people have dialup and such)

You're welcome, I felt like being nice and converting it

EDIT: I should have boosted the signal a bit, it's kind of a quiet recording, oh well.

and I like the 6505 model the best

I might actually buy one of these 15 watters to play metal, if my classic 30 doesn't hit it with new tubes + a good OD
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Last edited by danyellenik at Aug 20, 2008,
I think I was one of the first to get a Peavey Vypyr 75, and I started a thread with my initial review and impressions on HCAF. It is up to 4 pages now.

Here is the direct link, for anyone looking for first real reports from owners, like myself:

** Deleted, per forum rules **
Last edited by Deuterium2H at Aug 20, 2008,
Quote by Deuterium2H
I think I was one of the first to get a Peavey Vypyr 75, and I started a thread with my initial review and impressions on HCAF. It is up to 4 pages now.

Here is the direct link, for anyone looking for first real reports from owners, like myself:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2069586&highlight=vypyr

Wow. Be careful dude. RULEs state no links to competing Forums. I would Edit that out asap. Then read the Rules. It may just be a review but becareful - didn't look yet so maybe just post your review here from scratch ....
DAMN! A Plexi, XXX, 6505, and JSX in one amp with loads of FX.

I was gonna save up for a Bugera combo.

But now I want this (60 watt, hybrid version) instead.

GAH WHAT DO I DO?
^^ i wouldnt say that. those L6 Bogners sound pretty damn nice cranked.

^ i was savin up for a XXX 60w combo, but there really hard to find. im in the same situation, with the same amp lol

Im just gonna try them out before i buy them to see how they are. A few reasons i might get the Vypyr over the XXX is because there are no effects with the XXX at all, and hell, there is a XXX setting ON the Vypyr. lol

i just wanna try the Vypyr 60 hybrid out first
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Aug 20, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Wow. Be careful dude. RULEs state no links to competing Forums. I would Edit that out asap. Then read the Rules. It may just be a review but becareful - didn't look yet so maybe just post your review here from scratch ....

Thanks for the heads up. I edited my post to delete the link. However, you quoted me....and I can't edit your post.
Quote by MOLAAAK
so its essentially the line 6 bogner minus the suck?!

So far it seems pretty good, I have seen very few other people who bought one though. I like mine, it does exactly what I bought it for and more... its portable, its nice at low volumes and I can use headphones.

I REALLY wish I would had one of these when I started instead of the MG my Dad gave me(Can't blame him for trying though!)

I really think its a good choice for people who are starting out, it even has a built it tuner.

Thanks for taking the time to convert that danyellenik. I'm going to see if I can record a better clip tomorrow or if someone else has one then I'll put it on the first post.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I posted this last night in another thread. I believe it has 1 power tube. I also heard that the 60 and 120 hybrids are not shipping yet like the others. ??

---------------------
I believe it is the 60 and 120 watt versions that are the Hybrid ones. If I remember correctly they were the two have a gold face plate vs all black. has an MG look

says: Real 6L6 tube power

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Page-3....vey+amps&ipp=15

i hope they do well and help peavey's presence at GC for example.

Yeah i checked on sweetwater.com and they say these wont be available till October or so.

And You are correct in saying that the 60 and 120watt versions are hybrids. They have an all tube poweramp section. But use the transtube technology in the preamp, no tubes. But th TT technology is quite impressive so i think these things will sound quite decent.
Just curious.. What do you gain with a tube power amp? I can only really think of a little break-up if you push it hard, but I just don't know a ton about hybrids so I thought I would ask.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Idk if I want to get one of these or go tube
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

anybody know what tube brand it'll be? or likely be?

could u put a high quality tube in it to make it sound a bit different??
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Should I upgrade from my Spider III 15 to the Vypyr 30 as a practice amp? Or just wait for a nicer amp?
Guitars
Douglas WRL595, ESP LTD EC-50, 60's Partscaster
Amps
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Vet30
Pedals
Fender Starcaster Chorus ,MXR Classic Overdrive, Artec 8 Band Equalizer, Digitech Hardwire Delay
Quote by Don Tonberry
Should I upgrade from my Spider III 15 to the Vypyr 30 as a practice amp? Or just wait for a nicer amp?

Honestly its up to you. It really depends on how much you like what you have and why you are looking to upgrade. If you really hate your current amp and you don't have a lot of money you can sell your spider and buy one of these, but in the long run you will probably want something better.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Well I'm not a hybrid expert but 1 power tube isn't going to do all that much imo. We'll see when they come out. Similar hybrids I hear it adds a bit of color to the sound. I doubt the 120 for example is strictly running off 1 power tube. There has to be some solid state power dump i would thingk but wtf do i know.

Hard to guess on what power tube it will be. The Valvekings for example use whatever so you get what you get. Most get Ruby tubes I believe. 2 of them.

Again, I doubt swapping one power tube on one of these amps would do much but idk. I am curious about the amp settings and the headphone and built in tuner. Seems like it could work for a lot of people. If you are wanting to get a Spider this may be a great alternative. As long as they displace MGs and Ravens I'm happy.

this will be like a spider valve imo but not overpriced.

Most of us will agree i think
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Lol Peavey is gona make a ton of money off UG, I'm going to get the 30w or a Crate V18
Quote by Le_Bunny

thanks a lot thefrigginbob for the sound clip I think it sounds great!
also thanks to danyellenik for his effort too.
Thanks guys.
Current Equipment:
Epiphone Les Paul Gothic
Blackstar Ht-5
Bad Monkey
I think I will get one myself.
I believe 75watter seems better to me cause of the usb interface and the power sponge.
What would you do if you wanted a bedroom amp and lots of gain? Get the 75 watter with the attenuator? Or the 30 watter and low volumes?
Which one will have better sound at lower volumes?
Current Equipment:
Epiphone Les Paul Gothic
Blackstar Ht-5
Bad Monkey
They are both going to sound the same at a lower volumes.

With solid state amps you don't need to 'drive' the tubes to get that creamy sound, so that means you don't turn it up to make it sound better. The only thing the 75 watt is going to give you is it will be able to go louder without starting to clip.

I would go with the 30 and get the Sanpera I or II to play around with the looper and ease of using effects. It's really up to you though, I don't know how important the usb interface is to you, but the direct line out works fine for me(I started using a splitter so I can send a signal to the computer and use my headphones as a monitor so I don't have to deal with the delay)

Edit:
Well after looking I think I was wrong to assume these acted like regular SS amps. I still don't fully understand the need for a power sponge these... but hey maybe it does sound better cranked, mine sure doesn't...
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Last edited by thefrigginbob at Aug 21, 2008,
thanks man you've been a great help
Current Equipment:
Epiphone Les Paul Gothic
Blackstar Ht-5
Bad Monkey
I wish I knew more about the technology. Take what I say with a grain of salt, because I am just getting into this Transtube stuff. Good luck with the amp though
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
I played the 75 watt at GC today and I liked it a lot. No, not perfect, but it was good. Distortion was better than the cleans IMO. A bit confusing, however. But the pitch shifter effect made everything I played sound like 2 harmonized guitars. It was sweet.
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
Just curious, What did you find to be confusing?

Out of the box I had the controls figured out in a few minutes, but then again that was in the comfort of my home not a noisy guitar shop.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
I think I'll get the Vypyr, and then in a couple years start saving for my dream amp

(Dsl 401 or Screamer 50)
Quote by Le_Bunny

Quote by thefrigginbob
Just curious, What did you find to be confusing?

Out of the box I had the controls figured out in a few minutes, but then again that was in the comfort of my home not a noisy guitar shop.

Well, I was in an insulated room so the people at the store weren't bothering me :P

Anyway, it was just the push-pull knob stuff and how the high/mid/low controls seemed to add effects. I'm sure I could figure it out with a manual, or with more time. I only had a half hour with it. Not to mention, I've been feeling a little under-the-weather today and so my brain's a little slow today too. Been exhausted all day.
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by hotsnakes
Well, I was in an insulated room so the people at the store weren't bothering me :P

Anyway, it was just the push-pull knob stuff and how the high/mid/low controls seemed to add effects. I'm sure I could figure it out with a manual, or with more time. I only had a half hour with it. Not to mention, I've been feeling a little under-the-weather today and so my brain's a little slow today too. Been exhausted all day.

Ah, well when you click the "effect" knob it goes to edit mode, Pre and Low are used for parameter 1 and 2 of the effect, Mid and High are for Delay Controls, and Post is used for reverb. Click the "Effect" knob again to return to the eq.

I hear you though, its hard to concentrate on tweaking an amp when you don't feel well. I was just curious.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
there could be other advantages to having the USB interface besides direct recording and bypassing sound card latencies. From what I hear, they will also be releasing firmware updates to the modeling, and incorporating some additional functionality with Reaper. I don't know if that would work without the USB interface.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by thefrigginbob
Ah, well when you click the "effect" knob it goes to edit mode, Pre and Low are used for parameter 1 and 2 of the effect, Mid and High are for Delay Controls, and Post is used for reverb. Click the "Effect" knob again to return to the eq.

I hear you though, its hard to concentrate on tweaking an amp when you don't feel well. I was just curious.

Yeah, the cold is a bitch. Plus it's been storming all day (we have that tropical storm Fay here in Florida).
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75