Page 4 of 74
So, Vypyr is able to edit the presets.
Is this a cool amp to reach some cool sounds, for example...is it good to change some setings and play other musics with similar distortions?

For example: Can you get a Led Zeppelin "Whole lotta love" distortion with it? can you get a "Lenny kravitz "Are you gonna go my way" distortion? sorry, can express myself very well in english.

All you owners of a vypyr, try posting some cool sounds of similar distortions from other artists....I know you must be thinking "look at this guy, i've got better things to do"...but It's the only way i can get in touch with this amplifier, by listening to your clips! :|

Thanks, you all!
Could someone please answer this one........

I'm looking at the 30 OR the 75 watt version, my biggest concern is the volume, I want something that will play nicely at a low volume, which one does it better, or are they both capable of it?

Does the power sponge work as advertized?

Can the 75 watt version play better at low volumes than the 30 watt because of the power sponge?

I want the foot pedal option so that eliminates the 15, leaving the 30 and the 75.
The usb would be worth the extra 100 bucks to me, but not if it wont play as well ast the 30 watt version at low volumes.
IMO a power sponge (attenuator?) on a modeler is just a gimmick. A worthless extra to increase it's perceived value.

To me they sound worse when on.
Last edited by 667 at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by rushisrighton
HOWEVER........... if someone can elaborate on the powersponge, please post!!!

I'd say the Vyper's should probably sound better at lower levels than they would when almost cranked.
if you are going to get one, i would wait for the 60 from what i've seen....

however, i don't think anyone has their hands on one of the Hybrids yet as i don't think they have hit the streets yet...

not sure exactly how the features stack up off top of head to all SS versions (like USB or said attenuator)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

however, i don't think anyone has there hands on one of the Hybrids yet as i don't think they have hit the streets yet...

not sure exactly how the features stack up off top of head to all SS versions (like USB or said attenuator)

http://www.peavey.com/products/Vypyr/index.cfm
Quote by 667

yeah, hey thanks. been thar.

seems to have been some confusion/change to that site too.

plus, i'm trying to get ppl to do some research on their own.....but hey
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

however, i don't think anyone has there hands on one of the Hybrids yet as i don't think they have hit the streets yet...

Not sure if you were replying to me, but if you were I believe you just hit it out in left field.

I think I have a valid qustion, do the 30 and the 75 compare volumewize or do I have to buy both just to do a mofo comparison?
well, maybe i wasn't following too closely rush is right on. (ps i'm a huge rush fan).

Edit: more of a general statement

the 30 and 75 watt versions are both pure solid state right? They are not hybrids, meaning they have no tubes/valves. So, I think either one can play softly. I have never played any of these so my comment can be disregarded. The 60 and 120 watt versions however do have tubes and can make a difference.

as mentioned the attenuator (power sponge) is mostly seen as a gimmick but some may have a different optinion. True attenuators affect tube amps that have power tubes and attenuators are not cheap - so to claim they have power flux means that they are doing something on a solid state circuit and i'm not sure how that pans out.

i guess that didn't help much but again, i'm not a vypyr expert as mentioned.

is a store near you that carries these...again i just think if you're going to do it get the hybrid but maybe someone can tell me diff.

Edit: they are new mofo

later
Dudes,

The PowerSponge feature works as advertised. It is effectively the same circuit as Peavey's "T-Dynamics" control on their earlier TransTube-based Transformer series.

The Vypyr uses their 3rd generation Transtube technology to model both the Preamp stage as well as the Poweramp stage. The PowerSponge acts as an attenuator on the Poweramp stage. It changes the dampening, resonance and presence characteristics of the power stage, so as to make the power stage act like it is being overloaded (simulating power tube compression), even if the volume is very low. It also simulates the interaction and dynamics of a saturated output transformer with the overloaded power stage.

The effect of the PowerSponge "attenuator" is very evident in the high headroom, clean amp models...and less so on the distorted/high gain models. Trust me, it works as advertised, and is definitely NOT a gimmick.

As far as the tube-based Vypyr models...I had no interest in those. I chose my Vypyr 75 because I wanted a versatile, plug & play modeling amp that was dedicated for bedroom/practice/rehearsal type of operation. IMHO, if you want a tube amp, get a 100% tube amp. I have a Marshall Vintage Modern as part of my main rig.

The tube-based Vypyrs will be noticeably louder then the closest solid-state version...so they are more geared for gigging out. But with that said, the Vypyr 75 is insanely loud, and is perfectly suited for gigging small to medium clubs.

I have had my Vypyr for a little over 3 weeks now, and my enthusiasm for it's incredible tone and versatility has only grown. It is an amazing amp, and IMHO the absolute best "modeling" amp available on the market in it's price category (and even higher), period. I have owned almost every digital modeling amp that has been made, starting way back with the original Line 6 AxSYS 212. It smokes them all...with the possible exception of the original Vox Valvetronix "Blue" (which I still own). And that is not really a fair comparison, anyhow, as my Valvetronix AD120VTH is NOT in the same price category as the Vypyr 75 (it cost 3 x as much).

As far as the current Line 6 Spiders, Roland Cubes, and Vox Valvetronix "Chrome" and "Black" series, the Vypyr is superior on all fronts; tone, dynamics, response and "feel" of an all tube amp. It has the ability to due spanky cleans (Fender Twin, Deluxe, Bad Cat and Vox AC30) as well as teh brootalz, and everything in between. Lastly, the onboard effects are all top notch. In keeping with it's simple, Plug & Play philosophy, there is not much depth of editing avail. to the effects...but what is there sounds great as it is. For example, the digital delay has only two parameters which can be tweaked...feedback (repeats) and level. Nevertheless, the sound of the delay itself is very lush. Same for the excellent digital reverb.
I'm going to try them when I go to denmark street on monday, and If I like it I'll get the 15watt version just so i can take it anywhere.

and if I really like it I'll consider selling my spider, and getting the 75watt version.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
How much would this Vypyr be?I'm looking for a 30 watter.Hopefully around the range of a roland Cube 30
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
I bought a cube 30x but it was broken when it arrived, i have the chance to get my money back and was wondering weather it was worth it to swap to the vypyr 30. Im not sure if i could get the chance to try it though because my guitar shop is complete crap.
i'm planning on buying the 60w version when it comes out. but i've had this cube for a year now, and i'm a little iffy upgrading to another modeling amp when i have no other serious equipment. i plan to do some sort of gigs or shows with this amp in the new future and i'm buying it for it's versatility. should i buy it?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by ugmung
i'm planning on buying the 60w version when it comes out. but i've had this cube for a year now, and i'm a little iffy upgrading to another modeling amp when i have no other serious equipment. i plan to do some sort of gigs or shows with this amp in the new future and i'm buying it for it's versatility. should i buy it?

I miss your Duck avatar

If you want excellent high gain tones + the versatility to do everything else then it's a good buy if you consider your other options in that range. I liked it quite a bit more than the cube. If you want versatility, modeling is the way to go.

I'm not sure how it will be for gigging though, you will absolutely have to have the foot switch. I don't even know if you need to get the hybrid 60, you might want to look at the 75 watt to save a little money.

Another down side is the quality, I've had a few problems with both of my 15 watt models. So buying locally is a good idea so you can return easily if there is something wrong.

Of course try it before you commit to it.

Deuterium2H really nails it... it really sets the new standard for practice amps.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
i need a clip for 'teh brut0lz' haha
It'd be very much appreciated
My Gear
-Dean ML Xt w/ Dimebuckers+Pearlygates. Tune-o-matic bridge
-Amp: Vypyr 75
style: Thrash,Melodic Death, Metalcore, Neoclassical Dark Wave,
^ me too

i have another question tho

The 'PowerSponge' is basically an attenuator rite?...well then how come its only on the SS models?? Wouldnt you think it would only come on the tube models since...uh well they're tube??
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by thefrigginbob
I miss your Duck avatar

If you want excellent high gain tones + the versatility to do everything else then it's a good buy if you consider your other options in that range. I liked it quite a bit more than the cube. If you want versatility, modeling is the way to go.

I'm not sure how it will be for gigging though, you will absolutely have to have the foot switch. I don't even know if you need to get the hybrid 60, you might want to look at the 75 watt to save a little money.

Another down side is the quality, I've had a few problems with both of my 15 watt models. So buying locally is a good idea so you can return easily if there is something wrong.

Of course try it before you commit to it.

Deuterium2H really nails it... it really sets the new standard for practice amps.

yeah, i meant to trick my buddies at the legion and act like a noob and see if they'd fall for it. and then i lost the damn avatar.

but i would figure that the tube one would be better for louder volumes?
i don't need the tube, i would be fine with the 75w one, but idk...
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
All I'm saying is give the 75 watt a try, I'm still not sure the tube hybrid models are going to worth the extra cash. No one really knows yet though

Best thing to do is wait for the tube model to come out and try them side by side for yourself. Right now it's all speculation.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
All I'm saying is give the 75 watt a try, I'm still not sure the tube hybrid models are going to worth the extra cash. No one really knows yet though

Best thing to do is wait for the tube model to come out and try them side by side for yourself. Right now it's all speculation.

yeah, i'm just waiting for them to come out. i'm not in a huge hurry to get rid of my cube just yet.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Does anyone know where I can find the measurements for the Vypyr 75? I'm making an amp stand and want to base it's size off of the Vypyr's.;D

Thanks
Last edited by Weavel33 at Aug 31, 2008,
Quote by Weavel33
Does anyone know where I can find the measurements for the Vypyr 75? I'm making an amp stand and want to base it's size off of the Vypyr's.;D

Thanks

why don't you just wait until you get one?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
cause...that'll be a few months.=P I'm so bored, I need something to do to prepare.XD
Quote by Weavel33
cause...that'll be a few months.=P I'm so bored, I need something to do to prepare.XD

lol. i wouldn't want to risk anything.
but all the amps are different sizes, which amp model are you looking at getting?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Quote by Weavel33

Thanks

Email like musiciansfriend or harmony central.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by ugmung
lol. i wouldn't want to risk anything.
but all the amps are different sizes, which amp model are you looking at getting?

The 75w...why else would I want the measurements for that particular one?XD
when are they coming out?

will they be better than the cube 60
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
Quote by Weavel33
The 75w...why else would I want the measurements for that particular one?XD

ah, i didn't see that part in your first post.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
I just played the 30 watt version and I was very impressed. The mid gain and clean stuff was pretty good sounding, at least as good as VOx ADVTs and the high gain was great too. A bit noisy, but I didn't have much time with it.
sorry for repost but does anyone know the exact release date and price in the UK
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
Quote by WARLOCK123
sorry for repost but does anyone know the exact release date and price in the UK

I'm gonna call GAK in the next few days as they have the products up on their website but a notorious for never displaying whether an item is in stock or not.
My local guitar center just got these, I didn't have much time to try it out, so how is the distortion compared to the Spider?

BTW this thing is really freakin loud (tried the 30w).
Quote by Turkeyburger
It's not cool to make fun of people with disabilities.....

(Being Norwegian is a disability)

Quote by BK202

As soon as I see some high gain clips, i will make the long trek to guitar center and try it out, and most likely buy the 75w.
My Gear
-Dean ML Xt w/ Dimebuckers+Pearlygates. Tune-o-matic bridge
-Amp: Vypyr 75
style: Thrash,Melodic Death, Metalcore, Neoclassical Dark Wave,
I just got mine Vypyr 75w today, but I'm having a really hard time with it. It has a lot more features than my Cube 30x. I just wanted to get a cool little upgrade but it's not turning out so well. I wonder if there is something wrong with the one I have.

I tried using the Power Sponge knob but it doesn't seem to do anything, I turn it min to max and there is no noticeable change to the volume. The amp is incredibly loud, I can barely turn it to 1 before it's ridiculous. I'm not used to this coming from my Cube 30x. I understand it's 75w but when 2 is cracking windows that's pretty crazy. I can turn my Cube 30 up half way before it starts to get too loud.

I'm also having a hard time dialing in some nice tones. I don't like the way the delay works on it at all. It seemed on my Cube 30x I could just spin the knob a little bit and get pretty nice delay out of it. I've heard a few clips of the vypyr floating around the internet and it sounded really nice. It seemed that all the amp models were actually usable unlike my Cube 30x where only a couple of the models actually sounded good.

Oh well, I'm going to keep messing with it before I give up on it. I wanted it to be great, it sounded great from the few clips I heard and I thought it would be a nice upgrade to my Cube 30x. Maybe I just have a dud or something. I heard there's a few people having issues with theirs.

If anyone has some sweet settings could you post them up. Also, what is your pre/post gain and master volume settings at for bedroom practice?
If it is too loud just turn down the post gain knob. I don't really know how the powersponge works, so I can't help you there.

Here's what I do to find a nice setting.

1)Play the different amp models on their default to find the voicing that you want
2)Turn off all effects
3)Set the EQ to 12 o'clock
4)Set your gain to where you want it
5)tweak the eq depending on what you need more/less of
6)Then add whichever effects you want

I don't understand what about the delay controls you are having a problem with. Feedback is how much you want it to repeat each note and level controls how strong the effect is.

What are you trying to play?
What doesn't sound good?
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
I was gona order one from Gak today, but i phoned them 1st to see if they had any stock, and surprise surprise, they said they didnt. But what annoyed me was that they dont get an order from peavey till the end of october
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
^ Ah right, thanks for that. Thomann are getting a delivery late september according to their site though.