Page 5 of 74
Quote by Shredx
I was gona order one from Gak today, but i phoned them 1st to see if they had any stock, and surprise surprise, they said they didnt. But what annoyed me was that they dont get an order from peavey till the end of october

Yeah i phone them today and they told me 22nd of october, i was pretty annoyed considering they advertise the product as if it is in stock right now!!

is that the uk release date then?
It could just be when they're scheduled for their next shipment from Peavey and not an actual release date as such.
I've been messing with the pre/post gain settings and have gotten much better results now. I must have had the post gain up, but I didn't think I would overlook that. Anyways, I've gotten some really nice rhythm tones out of it and some pretty good cleans. I'm still struggling to find a wicked metal lead tone. Anyone find any settings that scream?

I also want to point out, it takes a bit getting used to the controls and features. The Cube 30x is very simplistic compared to this thing. The more I mess with the Vypyr the more I like it. Cube 30x is a beast, but I think this Vypyr 75 will take it's spot soon.
Yeah, i mean all anyone needs to basically know is, does it beat the other similar priced modellers out there?

The tech 21 trademarks, the line 6 flextone III, Roland cubes, Vox valvetronix (not Line 6 Spiders cos they are significantly worse then all others mentioned.)
does anyone know why the hybrid combos are listed as tube on MF? and more importantly, why the SS ones are listed as hybrid?=/...btw, the SS ones are in stock there on MF except for the 100w...not that MF ships to the UK...but...just letting you guys know.;D
Just got shipment notification on the vypyr 75 from mus. friend.

Amp and a lucky 13 guitar strap, shoulda orderd some new dunlop strings too....I always forget.
only the current owners here (and across internet) can tell us if the current ones have preamp tubes.

to me, the 'transtube' marketing thing has always been confusing.

i tried to check Peavey forum site and it is down due to maintenance.

eitherway, i've seen several contridicitions on several sites.

The table with all of these Vypyr amps on the Peavey site is all i'm looking at right now. The two 'hybrid' amps say 'Real 6L6 power tubes' or something.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 3, 2008,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
only the current owner here (and across internet) can tell us if the current ones have preamp tubes.

to me, the 'transtube' marketing thing has always been confusing.

i tried to check Peavey forum site and it is down due to maintenance.

eitherway, i've seen several contridicitions on several sites.

The table with all of these Vypyr amps on the Peavey site is all i'm looking at right now. The two 'hybrid' amps say 'Real 6L6 power tubes' or something.

The 60 and 120 watt are "hybrid" and the rest are SS.

Musicians friend has plenty of items in the wrong places as well as many misspellings and wrong info.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob

Musicians friend has plenty of items in the wrong places as well as many misspellings and wrong info.

ha...tnx for clarification on hybrids.

actually, i knew that and have posted similar info as yours in this thread.

Quote by thefrigginbob

Yeah they are a different kind of hybrid to say the vox valvetronix line or the marshall avt and laney tubefusion. they only have preamp tubes whereas the vypyr has just poweramp tubes.

Having power tubes makes the amp definitely more 'tubey' than if it only had a preamp tube right?

all the new vypyrs have solid state preamps without any preamp tubes. Transtube technology just attempts to emulate tubage. and as far as tube emulation goes, peaveys transtube is one of the best out there imo
is the 75 watt version gonna be better than a cube 60. and how much are they in the uk cos i dont want to go over £250.

also ive heard of a 60 watt vypr.
how much?
and is it good?
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
the 60 watt hybrid is $450 US. Just got to guitarcenter.com or musiciansfriend.com and look and then make your currancy conversion.

as stated several times in this thread the 60 and 120 watt hybrids are not shipping yet and to my knowledge, no one on here has one yet as a result.

no clue on UK shipping but someone up above had some info on that. good luck.
^ worked out the price for the 60 watt based on the U.S pricing

its around £250.

Quote by _bacon_

^ thanks

but i didnt think they were out in the uk yet

Quote by _bacon_

Quote by WARLOCK123
^ thanks

but i didnt think they were out in the uk yet

I dont think they are, GAK seem to be getting them 22nd of October, and Tholman seem to have them listed for end of September
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
thats a relif cos im getting a new amp in november and its this or the cube 60

Quote by _bacon_

Quote by Sepulturick
Yeah they are a different kind of hybrid to say the vox valvetronix line or the marshall avt and laney tubefusion. they only have preamp tubes whereas the vypyr has just poweramp tubes.

Having power tubes makes the amp definitely more 'tubey' than if it only had a preamp tube right?

all the new vypyrs have solid state preamps without any preamp tubes. Transtube technology just attempts to emulate tubage. and as far as tube emulation goes, peaveys transtube is one of the best out there imo

wrong.

the tube Vypyrs have 1 12AX7 preamp tube, and 4 6L6 poweramp tubes.

So, IMO they arent 'Hybrids', they are modeling tube amps.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Quote by bjovi400
wrong.

Yep, according to here http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/cat/454/item/116748/number/03586730/Vypyr%26reg%3BTube60.cfm

Kinda strange that they are note advertising the 60 and 120 as full tube amps at most sites and are only listing the power tube.
Quote by icyfire
Yep, according to here http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/cat/454/item/116748/number/03586730/Vypyr%26reg%3BTube60.cfm

Kinda strange that they are note advertising the 60 and 120 as full tube amps at most sites and are only listing the power tube.

Yep.

It says it right thar on peavey.com
4 - 6L6s and 1 - 12AX7.

They changed/updated their web site. This is either the greatest marketing fowl up and someone needs to be fired, or - it is the greatest marketing campaigne and they knew all along they were going to do it this way.

I still say 4 power tubes for a 60 watt and 1 preamp tube doesn't seem right. Maybe the preamp is a combination of Transtube and the 1 12AX7. I will be interesting to see once it does hit the streets.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yep.

It says it right thar on peavey.com
4 - 6L6s and 1 - 12AX7.

They changed/updated their web site. This is either the greatest marketing fowl up and someone needs to be fired, or - it is the greatest marketing campaigne and they knew all along they were going to do it this way.

I still say 4 power tubes for a 60 watt and 1 preamp tube doesn't seem right. Maybe the preamp is a combination of Transtube and the 1 12AX7. I will be interesting to see once it does hit the streets.

thats what i think, because all the modeling is in the preamp, so they probably fit in one tube to give more tubeyness, lol, and packed the rest of the preamp with transtube. but still, 4 6l6!!! damn. is this thing gonna be loud or what?
Ibanez AEL 12-string

Ok, so I went to GC today to try out the 75w Vypyr...first off, let me say(and I believe someone has said it before, I'm just reinforcing what they said) IT IS FREAKING LOUD!!! Turn it up past one and it's waaaaaaaaaay past normal store volume level. It did take me a few minutes to figure all the controls out, but after that it was super easy to use. The only thing I didn't really figure out how to do is the whole presets thing(although I didn't really try to...I'm sure it's easy to do).XD You can get tons of different sounds out of this...what with all the amp models, effects w/ editing, separate channels for all the amp models, EQing, ect...any style you want...it's in there. I'm overall very impressed with it...just one more thing I wanna say. I noticed(or rather, I didn't notice) the power sponge didn't seem to do a whole lot.=/...of course I had to keep at very low volumes being in the store, but I woulda thought that having use less power woulda made it sound better at lower volumes...idk.

Hope this helped some people...I know it wasn't really organized. I hope organization was not what you came looking for in here though.XD
Last edited by Weavel33 at Sep 4, 2008,
^nice review - never played one. I really need to high tail it up to GC and see if they have one.

it is probably just me, because I know just about every amp (especially a newer one) doesn't always have specs on GC type web sites that match the manufacturer. Seems like info gets lost in the translation to marketing folks or whatever and it creates confusion.

ALSO - the Peavey Forums have been down for at least 3 days now if not 4. Has anyone else noticed this?

Here is the general chart that I post all of time.

http://www.peavey.com/products/Vypyr/index.cfm

PS...has this always been on their chart? What does that mean exactly?
"True analog preamp distortion."

??
The single pre amp tube is more than likely the phase inverter for the push pull power section. With the actual preamp being a solidstate moddler.
so...why do you think they left out the power sponge on the 60 and 120 models?=/ that doesn't make any sense to me. They would be more useful on amps with tubes, right?
Quote by Weavel33
so...why do you think they left out the power sponge on the 60 and 120 models?=/ that doesn't make any sense to me. They would be more useful on amps with tubes, right?

I'm guessing it wouldn't work with tubes? I don't know for sure, but I think it's not a real attenuator.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
oh...then what's the point of it? Does it "emulate" an attenuator?=/...seems kinda useless to me.
Quote by Weavel33
oh...then what's the point of it? Does it "emulate" an attenuator?=/...seems kinda useless to me.

I'd guess so, but if it works, why not? I've heard it works somewhat? Or maybe it's that SS amps and tube amps use different attenuators (the hybrid Vypyrs are tube amps for this purpose since they have an all tube poweramp).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Someone else posted some info in this thread last week or so about the Power Sponge and he claimed it works.

The reason it won't work on the 60 and 120 power tube versions is because the power tubes are loading the speaker with signal directly and the only way to affect that is with a traditional attenuator (general statement). If the power section of the amp is Solid State then solution becomes more like this 'power sponge' thing but I don't know if that is software or Transtube or circuits that are creating the sense of power draw.

Now, I would think a true attenuator would work fine for the 60 and 100 because the peavey web site says they have 4 - 6L6 power tubes.
Quote by bjovi400
wrong.

i stand corrected, although pretty sure peavey never mentioned the preamp tube when i first started looking into these amps.

also looking at your sig, you think you are a peavey expert? you just come across as a massive twat.

If the vypyrs are anything like the new model bandits, they will be among the worst amps of all time.
There was confusion on launch of this amp due to incorrect tube counts and specs and it caused a lot of questions and uncertainty imo.

Putting one Preamp tube in the preamp section of a solid state amp that has 'Transtube' modeling does not IMO make it a 'tube modeller'. IMO that is part gimmick but I've been proven wrong before. Conversely, having only 1 preamp tube in the 60 and 120 versions does not make sense either. The verdict is still out.

I was not a fan of the Bandit but I don't think that would make it the worst amp ever

lots of ppl swear by transtube.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 6, 2008,
Quote by Sepulturick
i stand corrected, although pretty sure peavey never mentioned the preamp tube when i first started looking into these amps.

also looking at your sig, you think you are a peavey expert? you just come across as a massive twat.

If the vypyrs are anything like the new model bandits, they will be among the worst amps of all time.

um no, im in no way considering my self a 'Peavey Expert'. I just happen to know more about the XXX, 5150/6505, and JSX than the average noob who comes on here so i take it upon my self to help people out who have no idea what those amps are aside from the names. Its also cut down on the million threads a day on the same damn subject.

Dont start with me bro. lol
Ibanez AEL 12-string

the bandits are probably one of the best sounding SS in that price range :/
My Gear
-Dean ML Xt w/ Dimebuckers+Pearlygates. Tune-o-matic bridge
-Amp: Vypyr 75
style: Thrash,Melodic Death, Metalcore, Neoclassical Dark Wave,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Putting one Preamp tube in the preamp section of a solid state amp that has 'Transtube' modeling does not IMO make it a 'tube modeller'. IMO that is part gimmick but I've been proven wrong before. Conversely, having only 1 preamp tube in the 60 and 120 versions does not make sense either. The verdict is still out.

That's what I thought. The preamp tube sound like a gimmick to me considering all of the work is being put on the analog distortion circuit.

Generally an amp will have at least 2 preamp tubes to send a high enough signal to the power amp. So that would mean the signal is probably being run to the analog circuit then to the preamp tube then to the poweramp. What you gain from this is arguable... You could say that it adds a little bit of the soft "tube clipping" or or you could say that it would be so light that there would be very little sound difference at all.

Wouldn't a "tube modeler" be considered a hybrid anyways?
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
That single preamp tube is probably the phase inverter before the power tubes. The phase inverter is needed for a push pull style power amp. Many tube amps have 2 preamp type tubes in them one is the pre amp the other is the phase inverter for the push pull power amp an example would be a simple single channel marshal 18watt clone. 1, 12xa7 for the preamp 1, 12ax7 for the phase inverter and 2, EL84s for the power amp.
^good explanation Stujomo and i've read that from you before so thanks

^^thefrigginbob - exactly! That is why Hybrid amps have always been so confusing to me.

So I guess the 60 and 120 are 'all tube amps' even though Transtube is doing most of the preamp distortion?

So I guess the rest of them are solid state amps that have 'true analog preamp distortion' due phase inverter tube and Transtube is doing most of the preamp distortion?

PS - I realize there is a definition in the Stickies.
As I understand the 60 and 120 are hybrids they have a tube power section and phase inverter with solidstate preamp that does the modeling and effects. The others are solidstate amps no tubes at all.
Quote by stujomo
As I understand the 60 and 120 are hybrids they have a tube power section and phase inverter with solidstate preamp that does the modeling and effects. The others are solidstate amps no tubes at all.

That's correct.

I think you are also right about the phase inverter, I didn't think about that.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪