Hey wats up guys. sorry but im sure there are a billion posts like this but i couldnt find them so.. Pretty soon im plannin on either building a new guitar or just buying one. i was wondering if it is more cost efficient to make a guitar from scratch than to just buy one. also if someone could help me out with parts and other stuff ill need for a build that would be GREAT

Thanks guys your always a lot of help
depends how you want to do it.
Do you want to get pieces of wood and cut everything your self?
or do you want to go on ebay and get a bunch of parts of guitars and put them togeather?
or do you want some sort of kit and build it with some modifications if you want?
If you don't have any tools it's much more cost-efficient to buy the parts pre-cut and sanded - if you have access to the tools and the expertise it's a hell of alot cheaper to buy some wood and go from there.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yeah tools are a huge hole in the pocket, and also it depends on the wood you use, figured tops, rosewood necks, expensive hardware etc can get very expensive.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
ya i dont really have any of the tools that i would need. i was gunna just assemble some parts i buy but i dont know what that would cost me.
i was thinkin of doing a H-S-H with coil splitters 2 volume 2 tone and a 3 way toggle but i dont know what kind of wood i would get or much else if any one would know how much that would roughly cost that would be great
it will not be more cost effective than buying a guitar. it will allow u to completely customize the hell out of it and make it exactly what u want though.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
ya thats wat i was thinking was gonna happen.. watever i guess i should start shoppin LOL.
ya but just wondering wat does a build from scratch cost for an ok guitar?
Quote by Tyrus97
ya thats wat i was thinking was gonna happen.. watever i guess i should start shoppin LOL.
ya but just wondering wat does a build from scratch cost for an ok guitar?

ok as in fender squier or ok as in PRS?!?
haha ya well i already have that newbie junk guitar that everyone buys for there first so hahah.... ya ive been lookin at an Epiphone les paul or a telecaster for my next.. so somethin like that. not like 1500 dollars. but like 900-1000
depends on where your buying parts from to. Ebay has the cheapest parts. Im in the process of building a guitar. the parts all together cost around the 200 mark. But i've used cheapish parts. I got a cheap $40 floyd rose and the pickups were around $15 all up. although if you want a normal bridge it will probably be less than that. but the pickups will certainly be a lot more than that. Id say $500 at the most?