Does anyone know what the best guitar for a grunge sound would be for under $500? Right now I have a Fat strat knockoff thats pretty good, so i dont want something extremely similar to it, like a MIM fat strat. But does anyone have any suggestions just to get me looking in the right direction? Thanks
Any guitar
Try to find a Fender HH Jaguar, you can get them new for about $650 new. My old guitar teacher used one when he was in a grunge band and his tone was spot on for what he was playing.

EDIT: Actually, I've always liked Jazzmasters as well. Try one of those.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Aug 20, 2008,
It depends more on your amp and effects than guitar. I can get a pretty good grunge sound through my Schecter Tempest Extreme, so you may wanna look at them. Don't feel you need to get a Jaguar or similiar just because Kurt Cobain played them; any decent axe can get a great grunge sound if you use the right amp and effects.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Try to get Fender Reissue 68' but MIJ model.. Get Distortion pedal, grab tube amp and you'll see..
for grunge?...k first go buy a really good guitar, take a dump on the pickups, forget all scales or music knowlage whatso ever, scream in a mic randomly and smash the guitar at the end like your hot ****...oh theyll know whoes the hot **** then....o wait...thats for punk...nnnnnnnever mind...*walks off*
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by captainoid
JagStang?

Those are bad,

a mustang though.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Tango616
for grunge?...k first go buy a really good guitar, take a dump on the pickups, forget all scales or music knowlage whatso ever, scream in a mic randomly and smash the guitar at the end like your hot ****...oh theyll know whoes the hot **** then....o wait...thats for punk...nnnnnnnever mind...*walks off*

Well aren't YOU just a melting pot of originality and cleverness?

On topic:
I'd go with whatever you have now and get a decent amp for grunge.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by Tango616

I dont think taking a dump on the pickups would make it sound worse, the **** might get in the way of playing the guitar until its wiped off but all it would do is make it smell bad.

Yes, I love being a smart@$$
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I'd look at tube amps and get a good distortion pedal.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Anything that isn't a telecaster. Unless you're going for late STP or something. Basically something with no twang or the ability to have no twang.
Quote by Tango616

Dude. Keep pretending grunge wasnt important and awesome and well pretend youre not here.

Anddddd./

DONE!
Quote by statixguitar53
when in doubt, buy an elephant testicle

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
Quote by Slaytanic6606
Well aren't YOU just a melting pot of originality and cleverness?

What sort of grunge tones are you talking? Mike McCready used a strat - maybe all you need is a pickup swap (depending on the amp though). Dean DeLeo of STP used LP standards (obviously out of your price range), J Mascis used jazzmasters and telecasters.

Any specific tone you're after?
well i was just thinking kurt cobain kind of tone, but i think i've realized that grunge is more how you play and less what kind of equipment you have. (just to be sure however..) now im thinking i might go for a epiphone les paul, would that produce quality tones? I've heard that they are very versatile. thanks for all the responses
just about any guitar.

i'd recomend a Epiphone G-400, although play them till you find the right one because they seem to have gone all to hell since they quit making them in Korea. I'll give you a link to a sound clip of my G-400 if you want.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Quote by Dartman007
well i was just thinking kurt cobain kind of tone, but i think i've realized that grunge is more how you play and less what kind of equipment you have. (just to be sure however..) now im thinking i might go for a epiphone les paul, would that produce quality tones? I've heard that they are very versatile. thanks for all the responses

do you like "Come Clean" era Puddle of Mudd. They used a les paul.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Any guitar youve got now, just get some sort of distortion and turn set your setting to this

bass - 6
mid - 7
treble - 8/9

Well that's what I use and even for a line 6 spider it sounds ok
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
I have an Epi LP Studio and it can do everything from ska to death metal, and would be just about perfect for grunge (if you have an appropriate amp). I don't know how they play out of the box because mine was setup before I bought it, but it plays better then $1,200 Fenders I've played.
Quote by musicianamedave
I tell them that I'm happy with my current church, the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Then I ask them if they would like to be touched by his noodly appendage.

Quote by filthandfury

YES.
Like a russian doll, with balls.

I love The Pit.
I think grunge is all about the pedals and amps and the distortion. I don't think the guitar matters, but if you want to be like the god of grunge go buy a fender strat.