Alright guys, the story is as follows:
A while ago at the local music shop, I played an Ibanez S320 and was completely blown away by its body, its versatility, and the comfort of it all. But I was dead broke so I didn't purchase it. Recently a white Schecter C-1 caught my eye at the store and I've been playing it at my lessons. Last Friday the store had a half-off all guitars sale (making the C-1 $324), so I went with it. The guy at the front knew that I had had my sights set on an S and said that i could bring it back in 10 days if i didn't like it and they would order in an S. But this Schecter is starting to grow on me, and I just don't know. So I'd like to hear your guys' opinions. Thanks.

-Nick
as an existing S owner.. i have mixed views on this, as a S vs the C-1, i'd go with the S any day.
but as a standalone guitar... the build quality and reliability lets it down. especially if you're going to really use that trem.
i would consider some other options before you settle.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
I couldn't care less about the trem. Its the feel I'm going for. Are Ibanez SZ'z as thin or close to being the size of the S? (I'm a fan of string-thru)
well i love my c-1 classic with passion but i haven't played the ibanez, but c-1 classic is definaly a reliable and versatile guitar
my gear
Cube 30
sammick strat rip off
schecter C-1 classic diamond series
Peavey JSX combo
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
A.G.E > grunge
Actually no, forget that question. I don't want to stray away from the point here. Its either the C-1 or the S. What did you mean by the build quality and reliability lets it down? Any examples?
well after a few months of owning my S series (an S470DXQM, see profile for pics) the metal on the locking nut was worn and it wouldn't lock properly... the trem was malfunctioning frequently...
i can't use it at all now because the arm holder thing snapped off completely.
i'm not the only person with horror stories of this kind of thing.

edit: all that said, i'd still rather have this than a C-1, the body shape, the variability and flexibility of tones from the S pretty much cancels out the metal materials problems, in my opinion anyway.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Last edited by danielrobbyshor at Aug 20, 2008,
Yeah I don't plan on using the trem much. Just to keep it in tune. Btw, is tuning it a pain in the ass?
no, not at all. once its all set up properly, it will stay in tune pretty perfectly.
Quote by david_highland

Quote by Grundy0
Quote by IMcrazy369
Yeah I don't plan on using the trem much. Just to keep it in tune. Btw, is tuning it a pain in the ass?

As with most locking trems, restringing and changing tunings is a bit annoying to do but you'll get used to it after a while.

Personally, I'd go for the Ibanez S since I much prefer the neck but that's personal opinion. As for the ZR trem, although I do not own one (hence cannot argue with danielrobbyshor's claim), generally has great reviews. While I've heard similar cases like his, they aren't too common to warrant ZR being bad!

You could take advantage of your 0.5 deal thing and get the Schecter, and save up later for the Ibanez S since it's much cheaper than the Shecter.
i have the c-1 elite string thru. i cant compare it to the ibby because ive never played one but i can say that the schecter, has really surprised me. at first i thought schecter was just the flavor of the month so to speak when i started visiting ug. but since i finally bought one i have really come to like it. and with a set neck mahogany body its worth up grading. i had in the past played some lower end schecters that had imo crappy feel to their necks but the c-1 neck feels about the same to me as an ibanez arc model. not as fast as a jackson neck or an rg, but not like a base ball bat either. idk if the c-1 is better or worse than the s model ibanez, if the c-1 is growing on you already then you better go play that s model b-4 you end up keeping that schecter
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
So long as the ZR trem doesn't crap out on you, it's functionality is probably the best on the market. A real Floyd Rose locking nut REALLY helps it out too. I find the Ibanez to play much better than the C-1, but I would also agree that the C-1 feels better built in my hands.
I would personally go with the Nez S470DXQM out of the whole S series tbh, but it might be worth a pickup change in the future, where as the schecter has duncans? (correct me if im wrong)

But it is your decision, I'd play an S quickly to compare, then you can decide yourself.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I tried them both, and liked them both. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
Quote by Shredx
I would personally go with the Nez S470DXQM out of the whole S series tbh, but it might be worth a pickup change in the future, where as the schecter has duncans? (correct me if im wrong)

But it is your decision, I'd play an S quickly to compare, then you can decide yourself.

I'd actually probably just go with the S320. Though I like the pickup configuration on the S470, I've gotten used to just having 2 humbuckers. Btw, the Schecter came with 'Duncan Designed''s. lol.

My C-1 doesn't have a push-pull coil tap so my cleans aren't spectacular, how are the cleans on the S?
I don't know tbh, but generally from the ones I've played with 5 way selecter switch's have been pretty good. The S presteige I played on had great cleans.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
i was considering buying a s320 used from my friend for 400 before i decided to spend a little more and find a les paul to go with. over all alot better for my music style that i play. my friend never played any metal and mostly played clean/slightly distorted (rock mostly) so it does sound good clean. neck is very thin (fast?) and didnt stick at all. only gripe i had with it is that it was VERY uncomfertable to play sitting down. i hated that so it was ultimately the reason i chose to look elsewhere for a guitar.
Sounds like you want to change your mind and you need someone to convince you it's worth it. Go with the S320 man.
Quote by Slackboy72
Sounds like you want to change your mind and you need someone to convince you it's worth it. Go with the S320 man.

Haha. You're exactly right. Thanks dude.
I would normally reccomed the S.

I hate schecter guitars.

BUT, since you have played them both, and you personally like the schecter, then by all means keep it.

Dont come us asking what to do, if you like it, then keep it man.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator