Poll: Favourite Scale, How many keys do you know?
Poll Options
View poll results: Favourite Scale, How many keys do you know?
One
3 7%
Two
0 0%
Three
3 7%
Four
0 0%
Five
1 2%
Six-Eight
2 5%
Eight-Ten
0 0%
ALL
32 78%
Voters: 41.
I just realized that not many guitarists know how to solo in each key, personally I would never limit myself that way, but I'm just wondering what every one else thinks? Most guitarists I know stick to a few keys at the most.

EDIT: Also it would be nice to know your favorite scales you normally use as well.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Last edited by DSchmitty at Aug 20, 2008,
just transpose the blues scale all over the place.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
I just move the scales all over the place too, so i can solo in any key, but most commonly i'm in Am, Bm and Em.

And i'd say that my favourite scale is the Hungarian Minor scale, also called the gypsy scale. my guitar teacher taught me it
i play a sax so i have to know my scales (well it makes it easier) i generally stick to A minor :p D minor or A major dont really play in flat keys cause i cant think in flats well not fluently
Quote by danielrobbyshor
just transpose the blues scale all over the place.

I second that.
I can't stand to being limited to just one or two scales, I have to know them all kind of thing, but I guess everyone is different.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

Scales: Pentatonic, Blues, Major, Natural Minor, Melodic Minor, Harmonic Minor, Ionian/Dorian/Phrygian/Lydian/Mixolydian/Aeolian/Locrian.
Keys: All.
Last edited by ChrisN at Aug 20, 2008,
Quote by ChrisN
Scales: Pentatonic, Blues, Major, Natural Minor, Melodic Minor, Harmonic Minor, Ionian/Dorian/Phrygian/Lydian/Mixolydian/Aeolian/Locrian. Keys: All.

Wow that's quite impressive, especially that you have all the modes down as well.
Live Rig:
Mark IV Combo
Jackson SLSMG Soloist

mixo, blues, pentatonic, natural minor and ionian - I think I use them the most as do most other pleople

It's not that hard to solo with all the scales if you just memorize the notes and where the root is
Last edited by kai29 at Aug 20, 2008,
know the maj and min pentatonic, natural maj and min all modes, a little of harmonic minor.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
I know minor pentatonic/blues pretty much around the neck. But I know it BEST at Am and Bm. I'm pretty 1-dimensional and that's my greatest downfall
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

as soon as you know a scale in one key on guitar. you know it in all keys

you should try learning scales on a piano, thats when it gets impressive
Quote by DSchmitty
Wow that's quite impressive, especially that you have all the modes down as well.
Well I have been playing for 11 and a half years. To be fair I should probably know more.
All??

my fave scale is pentatonic blues . and i know major, minor, dorian, and mixlydonian but not around the whole neck.
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
My favourite is the Hexatonic Blues Scale, if there's such thing. It's just mixing the blues scale with the hexatonic, gives a cool sound.

And I know it everywhere. Hell, I can play it on a woman!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Bowe
as soon as you know a scale in one key on guitar. you know it in all keys

you should try learning scales on a piano, thats when it gets impressive

+1

if you can't play a scale in every key across the whole fretboard then you haven't learned it yet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You don't really need to know entire keys note by note, you just need to know the root and the different shapes of scale/ how the scale sounds.
my fave is probably A or C natural minor. I know a few least favourite is the scale im trying to get my head around at the moment major blues, sounds weird but its good to have a few more scales under ur belt :P
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I voted all but it's a loaded question to me.

If you know how to play in one key then you can play in any key. It's just a matter of shifting positions. In fact, you should move around and experience new keys and new sounds.

My fav? Whatever sounds good at the moment, I don't think about scales and keys.
Put your knowledge to the test. I put a free Minor Key Jam Track on my website. It starts in C minor and moves through all 12 keys. Hours of fun!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Storm Stenvold
~ http://www.guitarteacher.com
~ See It, Hear It, Play It!
~ Free Video Guitar Lessons, Jam Tracks + More!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I honestly dont really "know" any scales. I mean I know I can play Minor Pentatonic and Blues Scales but I dont actually know them. Keys, forget about it, I have no clue what to tell you about them, I get talking to guitarist and I get lost when they start talking about scales and keys and really anything only guitarists know.

I play in all types of scales and keys, but I dont know anything about them, sadly all I really do is play from listening and tabs. I have been playing about 6 Years and most say im pretty good but I just play from the heart, self taught type of thing. I know im limited and im trying to understand this stuff, but it is hard when you learned to play guitar by teaching yourself from listening to old Cream records and teaching yourself to read tablature.

I play basically the same type of scales Clapton plays, even when I do my own material it is very remniscent of Clapton. So: Minor/ Major Pentatonic, Blues.
Major and Minor. All keys.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Scales: Minor, Major, Harmonic Minor, D Major/Minor, Phrygian, Lydian, Dorian

Keys: All

I've been playing for about 3 years so I guess music theory is O.K.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by steven seagull
+1

if you can't play a scale in every key across the whole fretboard then you haven't learned it yet.

+2. It's not THAT difficult on the piano though.

What I know: all modes, the pentas, blues, melodic + harmonic minor.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I know all the modes and the pent. scales in all keys. I do favor some keys though, such as C, A, E and G. For some reason, I tend to avoid F Minor.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by ChrisN
Well I have been playing for 11 and a half years. To be fair I should probably know more.
If you don't use them, you might find augmented (all-wholenote-intervals) and diminished (alternate whole-half-whole-half) scales to be really useful.

As for knowing all the modes, if true this is very impressive. Quick, is the IV chord of the Phrygian mode major or minor? Does the VI chord in Locrian involve an add9? Which chords in Lydian mode have a flatted 5th? Nobody is going to learn answers to such questions (much less have these chords seem natural to them) playing blues or metal...
Quote by Kartman
I know all the modes and the pent. scales in all keys. I do favor some keys though, such as C, A, E and G. For some reason, I tend to avoid F Minor.

Maybe you'll like F# minor, after all you liked A major.