i was wondering what the best half stack would be for an intermediate player getting into more gigging. (preferrably in the $500-$1000 price range)

thanks
probably a nice tube combo amp

what genre's do you play

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
probably a nice tube combo amp

what genre's do you play

anywhere from rock to light metal
i would get a peavey classic 30 and push it with an overdrive if you cant get the tones you want

you dont need a halfstack, they are really only for show. combos can get you better tones for the price.

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Go for the Randall Hald Stack may be around ur price range and they sound sweet and good for the genre u play!
i stll think you should pass on the half stack

09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Go combo 2x12 120-175watts i know theres alot of Line6 Spider haters but i have one and its great just register it get that warranty straight...

just remember this 2x12 120w = 60w driving each speaker 4x12 120w = 30w driving each speaker ( imagine they are lightbulbs ) 4 dim lightbulbs or 2 really bright ones....

also most "cabs" are closed back creating a warmer/bassier tone ( which can hurt VOLUME when playing palm mutes and stuff ) while most combos have open back which really project sound, in a different way ( more defined mids highs ) GOOD LUCK Have Fun gettin LOUD in the guitar store...
It is a common misconception that you need a half or full stack for gigging.

The reality is that all venues you play will have a decent P.A system. With a quality instrument microphone you can mic even the smallest of amplifiers to be loud enough for a gig or show. With the microphone, your amp only needs to be loud enough so you can hear yourself on stage.

Ideally you could get a smaller tube combo and a good instrument micriphone. WIth a small tube combo you could push the volume getting nice power tube saturation without driving yourself or the crowd deaf. You will benefi far more tone wise as well.
Gear:

07 Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany
90-91 Fender MIJ '62 Reissue Strat
Fender Acoustic/Electric
Marshall TSL601 Combo
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Boss Tu-2
Quote by HATe410
Go combo 2x12 120-175watts i know theres alot of Line6 Spider haters but i have one and its great just register it get that warranty straight...

just remember this 2x12 120w = 60w driving each speaker 4x12 120w = 30w driving each speaker ( imagine they are lightbulbs ) 4 dim lightbulbs or 2 really bright ones....

also most "cabs" are closed back creating a warmer/bassier tone ( which can hurt VOLUME when playing palm mutes and stuff ) while most combos have open back which really project sound, in a different way ( more defined mids highs ) GOOD LUCK Have Fun gettin LOUD in the guitar store...

This post is so full of fail its funny...

Please dont listen to this guy

Edit: And make sure to check out a Traynor YCV50Blue. Does hard rock to light metal very good. Very Marshally sound.. Pretty damn good cleans too!!
Last edited by stangconv at Aug 20, 2008,
The only thing I prefer over the half stack is that he could always mimatch. Say he baught a Randall head and cab, but then wants to sell the head, he can still use the Randall cab with the next head he chooses to purchase.

Other than that, you don't NEED a half stack. Go to a shop and check out all the combos. You looking for used? You might be able to find some nice combos if you check it out. I've seen the Screamer 50's go for around that price, and a descent amount of Mesa combo's.