I noticed a problem with my guitar last night which is a bit odd and wondered if it was one of those easily recognisable issues that everyone knew about except me... The guitar is a peavey predator which is tiding me over until I choose a new guitar. I plugged it in to the old park valve amp last night and with any gain at all it sounded really bad. I'm not sure how to describe it but it the sound was all over the shop, way too distorted and really messy. The cleans all sounded fine but it all went south when gain was added. I plugged it back in the the v-amp2 I've been using and the cleans again sounded good but any settings with any gain and again it all turned bad. This was a bit of a relief as it strikes me that the problem is in the guitar and not the amp.

Changing pickups makes no odds and neither does mucking about with the volume (except in the sense that it reduces the gain and therefore the problem to a degree) and neither does changing the tone.

Recently I took the whole thing apart (the guitar) and shielded it, sorted out all the grounds and put in a capacitor... basically following these instructions. The difference was incredible in terms of silencing the previously awful sounding background hum and the guitar actually sounded listenable again. It stayed like this for 3-4 weeks and then I noticed the problem since I came back from holiday. I took the guitar with me and played on mostly cleans through the v-amp and I first noticed the problem last night. It could have existed before that without me noticing as I wasn't using much gain. The guitar hasn't taken any knocks (unless the kids knocked it over and didn't tell me ).

So, any ideas? My guess is that some bit of wiring may have come adrift (although I'm no amatuer solderer so it should be ok) or maybe some of the shielding has come adrift or maybe the cap has simply died or something else. Is high gain = sh*t distorted all over the shop sound a classic symptom of something (other than a cr*p guitar)?

Thanks,

Mark
Last edited by dernian at Aug 20, 2008,
It's far more likely to be a problem with you EQing your amp incorrectly than your guitar. A lack of shielding or bad wiring would lead to a little hiss, potentially, but not bad distortion, as the guitar isn't doing any of the distortion itself.
Quote by webbtje
It's far more likely to be a problem with you EQing your amp incorrectly than your guitar. A lack of shielding or bad wiring would lead to a little hiss, potentially, but not bad distortion, as the guitar isn't doing any of the distortion itself.

I thought that but the presets on the v-amp2 sound pretty bad whereas they all sounded fine before and I haven't mucked about with them. It may be the case that I've simply become too used to the cleans but I've never had a bad sound come out of my park amp before now, no matter what I did to it.

I understand what you mean about the guitar not doing any of the distortion though - it's clearly just inducing the same signal regardless of the amp settings. I thought though that the problems may well be there all the time and I'm not spotting it on clean as I'm pretty green with guitars and playing and the gain amplifies the problem making it obvious even to me.

I've got an old even crappier guitar kicking about somewhere I'll try with the park and the v-amp tonight.
Last edited by dernian at Aug 20, 2008,
I'd say try to play through another amp first, even if it means popping into the nearest music shop. I really don't think the problem is with the guitar. Check everything though, it could always be a faulty cable or pedal.
Quote by webbtje
I'd say try to play through another amp first, even if it means popping into the nearest music shop. I really don't think the problem is with the guitar. Check everything though, it could always be a faulty cable or pedal.

No pedals but the cable is a thought - didn't think of that and I've got spares... cheers.
could be tubes if your amp uses them
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by acdc51502112
could be tubes if your amp uses them
...sounds as bad just using the v-amp2 thing no which is why I thought it was the guitar.
if all the tubes have crapped out it wouldn't matter, and also the biggest change would be if you changed the V1
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by acdc51502112
if all the tubes have crapped out it wouldn't matter, and also the biggest change would be if you changed the V1
The v-amp 2 is an amp modeller that I use with headphones as an alternative to the park valve amp when the kids are asleep. So when I mean that I get the problem with the v-amp 2 I mean I'm not even using the valve amp - it's switched off and not part of the equation. Therefore I'm experiencing the same problem with what is effectively two different and seperate amps. This is why I thought it was the guitar. Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,

Mark