Even though I don't have a record contract, am in a band that's going nowhere and realise that "Making it" is basically impossible, I still dream of being a good ol' fashioned Rock star. But, annoyingly, I have all this weird stuff inside my head goin on.

Let me explain; I love rock and roll, like Rolling Stones, old Aerosmith, Guns N Roses etc. I know that this would be the music that I would want to base a career on, but I also want to experiment with all other kinds of stuff, like industrial, really decadent stuff as well as just the same old simple straight ahead rock. Anyone else feel like this? It makes my head spin, cos I know I need to get this stuff out somehow, but that I won't want to do it full time
Stop focussing on genre and image and start focussing on music. Instead of trying to write in a specific genre, just write whatever you feel like. If it conforms with a specific genre, than so be it.

Honestly, you read alot of interviews with signed guys and they start out trying to write in X genre and get labeled as Y genre.
Quote by pawnshopguitars
Even though I don't have a record contract, am in a band that's going nowhere and realise that "Making it" is basically impossible, I still dream of being a good ol' fashioned Rock star. But, annoyingly, I have all this weird stuff inside my head goin on.

Let me explain; I love rock and roll, like Rolling Stones, old Aerosmith, Guns N Roses etc. I know that this would be the music that I would want to base a career on, but I also want to experiment with all other kinds of stuff, like industrial, really decadent stuff as well as just the same old simple straight ahead rock. Anyone else feel like this? It makes my head spin, cos I know I need to get this stuff out somehow, but that I won't want to do it full time

what's the problem? write, play and record whatever you want... music's about communicating something to people, and you're probably more likely to do that successfully if you honestly try to write the 'stuff that's trying to come out'
Yeah... I don't suppose it is a problem, I just wanted to know if I was on my own with it or not. I don't want to turn into Axl rose xD
Quote by pawnshopguitars
Yeah... I don't suppose it is a problem, I just wanted to know if I was on my own with it or not. I don't want to turn into Axl rose xD

What's wrong with Axl?
Uh...how about it takes the guy like 15 years, and the alienation of all that he knows to release the record that's there just to get it out of his system? I think Axl is a total legend, and I respect and platonically love the guy for the music he has made, but I just don't wanna go down that road...

Thinking on it, I suppose it is a good thing feeling like this. I suppose I'm never going to get pigeon holed. Smile!