I really have no idea about tube amps. I've heard mention of pots, and preamps and what not...
If anyone has time and knowledge on tube amps, could you try explaining the basics of how and what the tubes do, importance of good pots and what they connect to, good speaker? I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for... I'm just trying to understand tube amps and I guess basic maintenance (such as changing the tubes and pots) and what tubes can go in what amps.
basically a tube amp has these tubes that run from the preamp to the speaker, and the sound goes through a small speaker in the preamp through the tubes to the big speaker and amplifies. whereas solid state has preamps, poweramps. all that crazy technological crap.

now run free with your new found knowledge!

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Quote by Mattalac
basically a tube amp has these tubes that run from the preamp to the speaker, and the sound goes through a small speaker in the preamp through the tubes to the big speaker and amplifies. whereas solid state has preamps, poweramps. all that crazy technological crap.

now run free with your new found knowledge!
I was the pear wasn't banned.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
There is a lot of knowledge in this realm that is far beyond what can be posted here in a message.

You need to start on Google and begin your research. The first step is figuring out what you're searching for.

Tube Amp Building for Beginners?

There are plenty of books you could try that will teach you all you need to get started. There are a lot of forums that are dedicated to this, as well.

If you know nothing about electronics, then maybe you should start with some basic electronics studies?
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
please someone kill him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_amplifier

There.

Tube amplifiers are like any other amp except they use tubes instead of transistors. The difference is how they produce the sound. This quoted portion is what I remember, I MAY be incorrect.
"Transistors produce a square sine wave, I.E. a value of one or zero. This is not desirable for music amplification because your strings and any instrument vibrates in a normal sine wave. A true sine can be produced, but is uncommon in SS guitar amplifiers if I am correct. I believe this is the case because it is more expensive to design and produce. Square sine signals results in artifacts which are noises or responses to the music that your amplifier creates without you specifying to produce that noise/signal. Artifacts are generally undesirable because it is not a sound that you intended to produce. You as a user have limited control over these artifacts when they are produced, but you cannot eliminate them. Tubes are desired for two reasons. True sine wave is common" and their inefficiencies that cause overdrive. Overdrive is breakup caused by pushing tubes close to their maximum rating. The electrons start to act differently and tubes also have power sags. This is desirable by some, while others dislike this effect. It should be noted that we usually like their music with between 6% and 15% distortion. With guitars distortion is common using tubes, whereas with solid states it is not common. I hope this is what you were looking for. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
^ Not exactly. Transistors, when run at lower levels, will give you a sine wave. The problems start when they're pushed beyond their clean level. When a transistor is pushed, it turns off, and stops amplifying. The effect of this is to cut off the top of your nice tasty sine wave. To your ears, this typically doesn't sound as musical and nice. Tubes, instead of shutting off completely, round off the top of the wave. This gives you a more pleasant form of distortion, which is preferred by many (but not all!) players.
Quote by zeroyon
There is a lot of knowledge in this realm that is far beyond what can be posted here in a message.

You need to start on Google and begin your research. The first step is figuring out what you're searching for.

Tube Amp Building for Beginners?

There are plenty of books you could try that will teach you all you need to get started. There are a lot of forums that are dedicated to this, as well.

If you know nothing about electronics, then maybe you should start with some basic electronics studies?

This is what I was thinking, I'll probably just need to learn a bit about electronics before I try understanding.
Quote by kurtlives91
^if you have no idea what your talking about please don't post.

Yeah what a wanker.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band