Yo. I'm wondering what laptops I should look at, I want it for gaming.

I've looked at a few Dell XPS's and customized to my specs they are like $1200, NVIDIA 8000 series 256mb card, 4 gigs of ram. Also something I wasn't sure of, a 2.16 ghZ processor (sp ) Is that decent? They are really expensive to upgrade so..

Anyway what other gaming laptops could I look at? And what other components are vital to upgrade?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
clock speed of the processor is unimportant these days, what the processor is will tell us more than the clock speed alone.
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5850 (2MB cache/2.16GHz/667Mhz FSB)

$50 more then the stock one which is 2.0 GHz
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

That's a decent processor.

What's the card? Nvidia 8000 series is pretty uninformative since it covers dozens of cards, some of them years old.
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

The card is coming up for about 2 generations out of date, it'll run new games at lower quality for maybe a year from now before it won't be able to handle new games.
Oh wow.^

This may interest you when looking at that graphics card. BTW Dell has been trying to fix the problems but hasnt really achieved anything, so far has sent out BIOS updates and extended warranties by 1 year

Might want to look at one of these if performance is more important to you then looks, it has great specs but is around $300 more than the dell you are looking at.
PS i dont like dells that much, and have no experience with gateways.
tl;dr : IM BETTER THAN YOU
Check out xoticpc
A new Sager/Clevo is pricey but if you're a serious gamer they're the only way to go.
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
Quote by purplegreendave
Check out xoticpc
A new Sager/Clevo is pricey but if you're a serious gamer they're the only way to go.

Not really serious, I play WoW, and plan on playing some other maybe fps's or offline games not sure yet.

i can't say this enough: Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful
Quote by Deliriumbassist
marmite, vegemite, termite...

anything that ends with -mite is the work of Satan's retarded cousin Vinnie.
Last edited by the spiker at Aug 20, 2008,
^ Lol, i assumed one link would be enough :P

btw am i right in think it doesnt affect the 9800? If it does then dont go with my recommendation, but I thought I heard it didn't.
Quote by rocknrollrob
^ Lol, i assumed one link would be enough :P

btw am i right in think it doesnt affect the 9800? If it does then dont go with my recommendation, but I thought I heard it didn't.

The 9800 may be at risk. Look at the second gizmodo article. The Wallstreet Journal published something about Nvidea's cards but I felt the links I provided were enough for now.
So how do I join the law suit that will probably be coming up against Nvidia for the faulty chips. =/

<8600MGT owner.
Quote by rastaman12
What do people usually do after they **** their sisters?
you are only going to get something if the chip fails.

if u want to make it fail try covering your laptop in blankets and playing crysis in the middle of the desert.

^I am not recommending this.

and you will also need to be under warranty still (in most cases)
Quote by GmacD
i can't say this enough: I'm ignorant please educate me I'm ignorant please educate me I'm ignorant please educate me I'm ignorant please educate me I'm ignorant please educate me I'm ignorant please educate me I'm ignorant please educate me I'm ignorant please educate me I'm ignorant please educate me

Fixed your typos, you don't have to thank me
if you really want to run high end games (ie: Crysis, Stalker, Gears 2 ect..) you might want to look into an Alienware laptop but it will probably be +$2500, if you want to play games like Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 or basically any game from a year ago or earlier, than it looks like what you have should be more than enough.
Digitalstorm!!!
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by tr3nt
Not really serious, I play WoW, and plan on playing some other maybe fps's or offline games not sure yet.

If you don't need raw power, the new Dell Studio's are nice and have average video cards. Also, they aren't NVIDIA cards so they won't assplode :p
The Studio 17 has a better card than the 15, but it's much bigger.
I'm so unique I don't even have a sig.
If you have the money look up Northwest Falcon computers. Best computers.. period. The FBI and military use them. BUT, they're really pricy. Go check it out
World of Warcraft is now what....4 years old? I think more than just the top of the line gaming laptops will be able to run it.
Personally I find the entire gaming laptop concept a bit counter-productive, because as soon as you add a big screen and fancy videocard you've turned it into a big heavy thing with crap battery life
Quote by GmacD
i can't say this enough: Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful Get Xp vista is awful

XP sucks. Vista works wonders on a good computer.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by GmacD

yaaah dood my friend said so cause his friend told him... it must be tr00 even tho i didnt try it lololol...

You are just jumping on the bandwagon if you think Vista sucks.
Quote by seljer
World of Warcraft is now what....4 years old? I think more than just the top of the line gaming laptops will be able to run it.
Personally I find the entire gaming laptop concept a bit counter-productive, because as soon as you add a big screen and fancy videocard you've turned it into a big heavy thing with crap battery life

Who cares, it's portable and I really won't ever be playing unplugged ;\, I have wireless net so I can go anywhere in my house, bring it to my cabin. Bring it over to friends house to game on their wireless net. School.

Also WoW has new expansions.

Quote by Filter
If you have the money look up Northwest Falcon computers. Best computers.. period. The FBI and military use them. BUT, they're really pricy. Go check it out

The prices made me wee... The specs also made me wee.