So I have a legit version of windows on my laptop and I have the CD key stuck underneath it (you know that lil sticker that comes with the CD?)

But, I don't have the CD with me, is there anyway to download windows so that I can burn it onto a CD and then reinstall it?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Of course there is, you can download it legally since you own the original copy and it'll work with your cd-key as long as it's valid
No, it's still not legal to download something just because you already own it.

Laptops usually have a hidden partition for the purpose of reinstalling windows, there should be something about this in your manual or on the manufacturers website. If not contact your laptop manufacturer; if all else fails depending on your stance on piracy you can download it or contact microsoft to get a replacement (this will not be free, but won't cost a huge amount because it won't be a retail CD).
I see..Well generally I couldn't care less about piracy except when it comes to OSs..don't know why, I guess Microsoft scares me O_o. I guess I can wait till I can get my hands on the copy of windows if I have it..thing is I have a tablet edition of XP to make things worse .. I just don't want to have to get a million bug fixing program..I'm getting a new laptop anyways for Uni but that's not for another year so I was hoping this one would last me till then..

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Last edited by philjay at Aug 20, 2008,
Quote by MrP
No, it's still not legal to download something just because you already own it.

i thought it was, coz you already own it, the version you are downloading would act as a back up to the original