I was wondering what exactly would I change in terms of playability and sound if I fooled around with the bridge of my bass. I have an Aria STB, and for some reason, it's about a zillion times harder to slap with than a normal fender p/j bass or music man (i've tried at the store). The main problem is the slapping, as no matter how hard I hit the top two strings they just dont ring. Popping is also pretty hard with this bass.

Believe me, the problem isn't with me, as I can slap and pop a normal bass with no problem, just this one is causing me problems.

What can I change on the bridge to make it easier?
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
Your action may be too high, see the FAQ for info on how to change this. Also, how old are your strings?
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
it's you, i don't see how a bridge can cause that problem unless theres some kind of permenant mute on it which there isn't it's a standard fender style bridge all be it a very cheapy one, you could change the bridge to something a bit better like a gotoh 203 or 201 or a leo quan badass II
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I seriously doubt its me (not being stupis here), because like I said, I have this problem with this bass only, for some reason. So far, I've been able to slap with no problem using a fender p-bass, j-bass, a musicman stingray (all at the store, I can't really afford any of there basses).

As for the strings, they're as old as the bass, 2 and something years. Never been changed. It could be me, but they seem a bit thicker than the ones on the fenders.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Quote by KasanDude

As for the strings, they're as old as the bass, 2 and something years. Never been changed. It could be me, but they seem a bit thicker than the ones on the fenders.

i'm a guitarist, not a bassist, but really, change the strings..

like every 3 months or whatever
Two year old strings are deader than coffin nails. And yes, lighter strings will generally give you a better slap sound, but you will need to do a setup on the bass if you change the string gauge.
Alright... so new strings. How do you measure the thickness of a string, just out of curiosity?
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Quote by ArctcMnkysRcks!
i'm a guitarist, not a bassist, but really, change the strings..

like every 3 months or whatever

easy for u to say, guitar strings dont cost $20 a pack
Try adding more delay.