hey guys i wasnt too sure where i should ask this so i hope im in the right place.

ok so as far as i know guitars are not waterproof but ive seen videos like slayer playing whilst the blood is raining down on them and bands throwing water over themselves to cool down.

so is there some treatment on the guitars ? or are guitars just more waterproof than i thought .

thanks for any answers ive just been wondering this for awhile
They just can afford to stuff up their guitars, and they probably more waterproof than you thought.
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
guitars are fairly waterproof, i played a gig once and someone chucked a full bottle of beer on me mid song and it didn't **** up my bass in the slightest, it just smelled of cheap booze for about a month even after i completely cleaned it several times
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
guitars are fairly waterproof, i played a gig once and someone chucked a full bottle of beer on me mid song and it didn't **** up my bass in the slightest, it just smelled of cheap booze for about a month even after i completely cleaned it several times

. . . You must not have been playing very well.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
yeah there more waterproof than you think. you can get away with getting water splashed on your guitar as long as it doesnt get inside or mess with any electronics. However i doubt you could jump in a pool/ ocean with a guitar and have it be okay.
Is it in a music video? Because in music videos the guitars are usually not plugged in, there fore there is no electricity running through them and they are fine.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by I am wet
Is it in a music video? Because in music videos the guitars are usually not plugged in, there fore there is no electricity running through them and they are fine.

I thought there was no electricity running through them unless you had active pickups?

Edit: Well, apart from the tiny current from passive pickups.
Quote by I am wet

no man live shows
Quote by ManInAClownSuit
. . . You must not have been playing very well.

it was a really good gig but there was one guy in the crowd who was constantly trying to put us off, it kinda climaxed with me being covered in beer and him getting dragged out by 2 of my friends and the bar man. i'm not making excuses on my behalf my playing wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination but i was in time and in tune and we weren't playing anything you can really hate just typical pub cover band songs
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
lol so they say...

on wiki... full of metallica fans
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by myearshurt
didn't ron mcgoveney (excuse the spelling) get an electric shock from playing his bass after dave mustaine pour beer down the neck?

According to behind the music, yes. But I would imagine that had something to do with a ground loop and his bass possibly being active.

Anyway, you shouldn't have issues if, let's say, you get a poly finish in the rain and are cure to clean it off with a rag. What can harm the finish is getting a nitro wet and rubbing against it, getting into your fretboard would not be good, or into an oil finish I would imagine. Where you can harm it is if you use a heat source to dry it...
I wouldn't recommend playing you're guitar outside during a monsoon, but it should be ok. It might just cause you're bridge or any metal pieces to rust up, especially on a cheaper guitar. And I wouldn't risk damaging the finish as well.
Quote by Horlicks
Just don't do this

If that was a Hamer Chapparal, I think I seriously came across it in a shop one day. It made me die a little inside.
Quote by I am wet

There is no electricity in a guitar anyways, even when they're plugged in, asides from a tiny induced current (I'm not explaining induced currents though >.<. You get electricity though in guitars with active pickups, obviously.

Remember kids, when you plug your guitar into the amp, it's an OUTPUT jack. No electricity is entering your guitar.

Anyways, guitars are more sturdy than most people think, especially things like Tele's. They can handle a lot of abuse.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
even still, if the venue or amp isnt grounded, you can get a really bad shock from touching the mic stand while playing, or from playing while standing in water.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011