Hello everyone,

First time poster so bear with me I have an electric guitar for about half a year, and I finally decided to get lessons in September because I learn stuff faster with a strict teacher Now, for my birthday my uncle gave me a guitar he had in his storage room. It's from 1972, and it says tranquillo gianni. Google didn't tell me much other than saying it's Brasilian made guitar and that the quality differs greatly from model to model. And frankly I don't know anything about guitars.. So would this be worth having re-stringed (the metal strings look slightly rusted and the plastic-like strings seem very fragile) and possibly repaired or should I just buy something new?

This is a set on flickr I made with pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23889071@N05/sets/72157606850792746/

Thanks a lot in advance
Buy a pack of strings... It won't cost you very much :p
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Quote by HeliuM
Buy a pack of strings... It won't cost you very much :p

Oh I forgot to mention that.. I checked out strings already and they go from 8,99$ to 25,99$ .. I assume I want an accoustic light string pack? But they all seem to be bronze and three of my strings seem to be some sort of plastic, will that matter at all?

I also read that it's safer to let someone experienced restring it before I try it myself, for both me and the guitar.
You're going to want nylon strings. Throw bronze or steel strings on there and you'll kill the guitar.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Quote by Herald85
Oh I forgot to mention that.. I checked out strings already and they go from 8,99$ to 25,99$ .. I assume I want an accoustic light string pack? But they all seem to be bronze and three of my strings seem to be some sort of plastic, will that matter at all?

I also read that it's safer to let someone experienced restring it before I try it myself, for both me and the guitar.

This guitar is not a a steel stringed acoustic guitar like you seem to think. This guitar is a classical guitar. If you try to put strings for a steel string acoustic guitar on this guitar then either the bridge or the neck will rip/snap off from the tension. Buy a set of classical guitar strings and ask someone to show you how to restring the guitar. Tying the knot at the bridge is quite tricky for people who don't know how to change them.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
OK thanks everyone. You basically answered all my practical questions

Now, just because I'm very curious. Is this a rare guitar? I can't find any information at all about this model (i'm googling for tranquillo gianni sn20 ).

I'll take it to the shop tomorrow and get some nylon strings.
Get Savarez high tensions on that thing!

As for what that guitar is, I have no idea.
Last edited by confusius at Aug 20, 2008,
i say get it checked out like you are about to do at the store and have them show you how to restring it.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
The guitar is a Tranquillo Giannini model GN 100 rosewood 1972 violao concertista, probably worth about $400 to $600 today as it is all wood.

Tranquillo Giannini made some excellent guitars and in all kinds of tonewood combinations. Out of Italy but moved to Brazil in 1890 and made Brazil his wood crafts and home because of all the woods available there in Brazil.

Giannini guitars are still available from Brazil so he obviously had a son or two. An original Tranquillo Giannini built by him in good condt. would be worth a lot but their guitars today go from about $250 to about $2.000. Steel string and classical.

http://www.guitarplaza.com/newgigu.html
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 20, 2008,
Make sure you buy classical (sometimes labeled "nylon") strings as already mentioned. They are inexpensive and well worth the modest investment. The bass strings appear to be steel but they actually have a nylon core and only a metal winding.

I have seen classical strings with ball ends (like steel strings) but they usually break off and you have to tie the strings onto the bridge. Buy either type, you can always snip the ball ends off.

Link to a website that shows you how to tie them.
http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/changing_strings.htm

I suggest you do it yourself, rather than pay somebody. You gotta learn sometime, may as well be now.

Nice guitar by the way. My first guitar was a freebie Framus classical made in West Germany in the 60s.
Discolored skin gives me away.
Get some Saverez [pink card] nylon strings to bring this guitar alive.
I went to the shop an hour ago. The guy got out my guitar, whistled and said "nice guitar you have here". Then he looked better, gasped and said "why the hell are there folk strings on this guitar?". Turns out someone at some point used three full metal strings and the neck is bended. From the eighth fret the strings are too far away from the fretboard, at the 12th fret the strings are about 30 mm too high.. The guy advised me to put some phonebooks on either end and hope it helps a little but it will never be mint again :'(

We talked a little while he put on the new strings (the cheapest savarez he had!) and it sounds ok now. It's very annoying to play the lower frets but it's good enough to practice. Thanks for the advice everyone, i might be back later for some practical tips hehe.
You might be able to replace the neck if it is that badly damaged. Your guitar guy might be able to refer you to an actual luthier who can help with either correcting the original or replacing it.

The reason he recommends the phone books is, that unlike a steel string guitar, there is not a steel truss rod running up the neck that can be adjusted to correct the neck bow. Classical guitar necks are solid wood.

If anything though, you'll develop better fretting habits with the abnormally high action.
Discolored skin gives me away.
Look inside the sound hole see if you can find a place to adjust the truss rod. Some classical guitars come with it. If it is there post back and I'll PM a guy or two that can help you out with it.
Ah such a shame... why are people such fools when it comes to stringing guitars. It's allways been obvious to me not to put metal strings on classical guitars...

Anyway, I hope the neck sorts itself out for ya man, you can always get it proffesionally taken care of if you decide to, of course it may not be worth it financially.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Just restring it & play it. You can get quite decent string on eBay for $4.00
As a new guitarist you wont notice any difference.
The bronze strings on your guitar ARE nylon strings. They have a nylon core with brass/bronze wrapped around it to give the string extra weight & still be able to bend it.
This guitar is a middle of the road guitar judjing by the binding/purfing & sticker rosette as on higher end guitars they are inlayed. Hope it helps Have fun with your new toy.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!