IM going into Junior year so i still have some time, but i want to go to Music College. I don't know which one i just know this is what i want to do with my life. Since spring break when I made up my mind i have started practicing 2-4 hours a day. Ive gone from Smoke on the water solo to Canon Rock in the past few months. neither of those songs are that great but its a start. Anyway i was planing on mayby starting classical guitar training Junior summer to learn how to sight read and stuff. Do you think ill have enough time to be able to do it? And is it worth it to get a book to learn how to sight read or do i really need a teacher?
Last edited by Shecter78787 at Aug 20, 2008,
sight reading to me is just hours upon hours of practise, you wont become a master overnight. imo u dont need a teacher as all it takes is discipline to stick at it, and if ur a musician u "should" be discilpined at things already! :P

mind u some people are talented at it sum arent... learning paces will differ
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe
LTD EX-400BD
LTD EC-1000
LTD V-500
Zoom 707II Pedal
Vox Satchurator Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby Slash
Marshall MG100DFX...
wow lol i went to the bathroom and came back and u responded thanks. So do they make books that like give you easy songs to sight read and like give you tips and stuff?
yeah they make books. most music organisations make them. in the uk the group is call the ABRSM, the do classical guitar and other instruments. if ur from the uk then i suggest u look at them. otherwise find ur country equivilant.

to be fair if u were moving up the grades in guitar then the examining body would test ur sight reading i would of thought.

infact you want the easiest way to get a book?..... google it :P
there are bound to be THOUSANDS of them haha

ive been working my way up the grades for like 7 years now and im still no master at sight reading

hope this helps
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe
LTD EX-400BD
LTD EC-1000
LTD V-500
Zoom 707II Pedal
Vox Satchurator Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby Slash
Marshall MG100DFX...
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Berklee-Press-A-Modern-Method-for-Guitar---Volumes-1--2--3-Complete-Book-904249-i1158390.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=92189058

That's a great book for learning how to sight read on guitar, some theory, etc. And it's pretty big so you won't be blasting through it in a few days or anything.

Sight reading definitely takes a LOT of discipline because it's one of those things that you just have to sit down and work on for 30-60 minutes at a time even though most people find it very boring. A teacher can help you move along at a quicker pace if you work well with them, but is not really necessary if you have a book like this that explains things clearly and gives plenty of exercises.
The only way to get good at sight reading is to do a lot of it. Theres no secret. So just go to stores and start buying books of music. Honest.
**** it. it just made me sound like an asshole.

Spend alot of time... i dont think 2-4 hours will be enough.
myspace.com/soundsofmeta
Last edited by BBell at Aug 20, 2008,
thanks im just gonna spend time sight reading now added to my daily practice and im gonna get a book. i still got a year so i think i can get it by then
Hey Shecter78787,
I recommend Guitar Freak Workstation with SightReader Master.
It's totally adjustable to the users level and works on reading notes with rhythms. I've looked around and there's nothing for guitar or bass software that deals with sight-reading but this. The download site with some info is www.prolevelguitar.com
PS it does chords as well. From what I can see, you can upgrade the software to a whole bunch of tools I haven't seen before... there's some videos on them.