I bought an EMG 81 and a Seymour duncan neck pickups for my G400 guitar.

Does anyone know of a wiring diagram that explains how to hook up an active and passive? The one thing that i am confused about is how the jack has 3 terminals for the EMG, but for any passive pickup it only has 2?

How can I do it?
RG's & Mesa's
From the EMG FAQ's:

Can I mix EMG's with passive pickups?

It is possible to mix EMG's with passive pickups. There are three possible wiring configurations; one is better than the other two.

Use the high impedance (250K-500K) volume and tone controls. The problem is that the high impedance controls act more like a switch to the EMG's. The passive pickups, however, will work fine. If you have a guitar with two pickups and two volume pots, with a three-way switch, there is another alternative. Use the 25K pots for the EMG, and the 250K pots for the passive pickup. This way you can use one or the other with no adverse affects, but with the switch in the middle position the passive pickup will have reduced gain and response.

Use the low-impedance (25K) volume and tone controls provided with the EMG's. The problem here is that the passive pickups will suffer a reduction in gain and loss of high-frequency response.

This is the best alternative. Install an EMG-PA-2 on the passive pickups. There are two benefits to doing this. With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the EMG's. The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance EMG controls (25K) without affecting the tone of the passive pickups. You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc. For this application, we recommend ordering the PA-2 without the switch for easy installation on the inside of a guitar.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Well active pickups take a different value pot than passive hums (500k passive and 250k active I believe) so youll have that conflict.

When I install active pickups I always make the person get a full set so I dont have the hassle. I dont have diagrams for active and passive mixed on hand.\

And the EMG jack has that one terminal for the battery cable, hot, and ground. When an instrument cable is plugged in, it activates the battery so you get output.

Standard jacks just have hot and ground most of the time. If you do mix active and passive it shouldnt be a problem to have that extra prong on there.
Quote by givemeaname
My sisters pretty hot aswell
I would wire it as they explained in the second paragraph there, using the 25k for the EMG and the 250K/500K for the passive. It will sound weird in the middle position, but this way you don't need to buy more stuff from EMG.

Just run the pickups into their own volume pots. Take the outputs from the pots and wire those to the switch to select pickups.

Wire the tone controls coming right off the inputs to each volume pot. Your guitar is most likely already wired this way (haven't checked the diagram for it, but with those controls its typical)
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
OK, yeah i thought it would be a good idea to have an active and a passive, i only ever would use one at a time, but i shat myself after i bought it i read heaps saying not to mix them, i have been thinking maybe i should just buy another EMG, and chuck the seymour in my other guitar, but i would idealy like to have both in the one guitar if it is possible, i dunno,

What do you think I should do?
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by e32lover
OK, yeah i thought it would be a good idea to have an active and a passive, i only ever would use one at a time, but i shat myself after i bought it i read heaps saying not to mix them, i have been thinking maybe i should just buy another EMG, and chuck the seymour in my other guitar, but i would idealy like to have both in the one guitar if it is possible, i dunno,

What do you think I should do?

what seymour did you buy ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Well... Let me guess, you bought like an EMG81 bridge and a Jazz or '59 Neck?

If so, just get a EMG60 for the neck. They sound badass anyway.
Quote by givemeaname
My sisters pretty hot aswell
The 1963 riffer, yeah thats exactly what i got, i am thinking of leaning more towards putting dual EMG's in the g400s, and later on dwon the track by a Seymour SH4 and put both seymours in my Ibanez RG1570.

So u reckon an EMG60 is the best? I was going to get the 85, but i dont really know, whats the dif?

Thanks for your help guys, u reckon it is a sound plan?
RG's & Mesa's