title says it all.

Planning on getting the Schecter C-1 FR Hellraiser and there's a ton of talk about how the Blackouts are better than the EMGs (not by far mind you).

Anyway. I figure I might be interested in installing one of those babies into my guitar. First and foremost i know nothing about installing pickups. Which pickup should be replaced? bridge?neck?

Or how much would it cost to have your pickup installed so you don't jack up your guitar?
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Why not play it and see? Blackouts were the hot thing around here with everyone saying they were better for awhile, but I don't think more than a couple people ever played them. If you like your sound, why change it? Not going to be able to tell with that amp anyway.
Quote by CJRocker
Why not play it and see? Blackouts were the hot thing around here with everyone saying they were better for awhile, but I don't think more than a couple people ever played them. If you like your sound, why change it? Not going to be able to tell with that amp anyway.

I'm working on the amp. Upgrading to a Rectoverb but saving up a thousand bucks is no joke.

Also, I'm constantly looking to improve my sound. I think blackouts would make a nice addition.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
if you are proficient with a soldering gun, and have a basic knowledge of electronics - its easy to install P/U's yourself. Otherwise you are looking at paying an hourly rate for labor plus parts

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
I think Blackout's come with the same installation device as EMG's so I think it should be relativley easy
You can rest when you're dead.

User of
Schecter Guitars
Blackstar Amps
MXR Effects
Quote by 12joey.c12
I think Blackout's come with the same installation device as EMG's so I think it should be relativley easy

you're right. the blackouts are compatible with the quick connect system so swapping them out will take 2 minutes tops, with no soldering need. the only tool you'll need is a screwdriver to take the pickup rings off
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Why do you believe the Blackouts will work for you when you have not even tried the guitar properly with EMG's? You said you're getting a new amp, or saving up for one. Well then get the amp first then try the EMG's with the new amp and see where you're at with your tone. Problem is, you buy the Blackouts and what if they don't work for you? Your ego will BS you and say yea man they are cool, and you won't admit your $200 mistake. See what I mean? This has nothing to do with music or tone. Its common sense. Besides don't go only by what others say, especially on UG about what pickups to get. Most here like mentioned earlier haven't even tried them but cause Laiho has switched to them as well as some other high profile artists doesn't mean they are better then EMG's. Buy what works best for you.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
If you think Blackouts are much better just get the Schecter Blackjack ATX.... also, do some more research before making a thread (ie. go to Schecter's website, ESP's website, Musiciansfriend, whatever).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by DSOTM80
Why do you believe the Blackouts will work for you when you have not even tried the guitar properly with EMG's? You said you're getting a new amp, or saving up for one. Well then get the amp first then try the EMG's with the new amp and see where you're at with your tone. Problem is, you buy the Blackouts and what if they don't work for you? Your ego will BS you and say yea man they are cool, and you won't admit your $200 mistake. See what I mean? This has nothing to do with music or tone. Its common sense. Besides don't go only by what others say, especially on UG about what pickups to get. Most here like mentioned earlier haven't even tried them but cause Laiho has switched to them as well as some other high profile artists doesn't mean they are better then EMG's. Buy what works best for you.

I HAVE tried out a guitar with EMGs ala Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR.

Thought it was out of this world amazing. However, I've only heard blackouts. Thought since Alexi switched over to them they must be good lol. I've heard Blackouts are like EMGs only higher output. (maybe I got that wrong or reversed idk)
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thought it was out of this world amazing. However, I've only heard blackouts. Thought since Alexi switched over to them they must be good lol. I've heard Blackouts are like EMGs only higher output. (maybe I got that wrong or reversed idk)

RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by TheBodomBullet
I HAVE tried out a guitar with EMGs ala Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR.

So you think EMG's are amazing, yet you wanna install Blackouts because according to your reasoning they a. have higher input and b. Alexi Laiho uses them. Thats not very logical is it?
I just installed a low output humbucker in my Kramer and it rips the sh*t out of anything I've tried before. Just set your amp and pedals up right Higher output does not mean better pickup
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Ahahaha i love how people think "if _____ uses _____ then it must be good!"

To answer your question, the blackouts seem very user-friendly for installation. EMGs are the same way i think so i would guess that you would have no problems doing it yourself. If you prefer the blackouts, you might want to swap out the EMG 81 maybe? I'm not too sure on which one you would want to switch.
FWIW, I think Alexi is back to some kind of prototype active EMG, called the X/90/something like that. And TS, if you want Alexi's classic pickup, you should buy an old school Jackson J50 and JE-1200 preamp.

And I do agree higher output doesn't mean it's better. Look at the Duncan Invader...
Quote by CJRocker
FWIW, I think Alexi is back to some kind of prototype active EMG, called the X/90/something like that. And TS, if you want Alexi's classic pickup, you should buy an old school Jackson J50 and JE-1200 preamp.

And I do agree higher output doesn't mean it's better. Look at the Duncan Invader...

Touche
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon: