So i opened up my 530 preamp to change the preamp tubes to Tungsol 12AX7s...but i saw they were ENGL...so i just left them in there assuming they were good enough. my question is are these like some cheap rebranded tubes, thus, id have to change them out. or are they good ones. it's sounds pretty damn good with those in btw.
I am sure they are rebraned, but thers no telling what kind of tubes they are. Personally I would change them out to the Tungsol since they are one of the best current production 12aX7s around, you can always put the old tubes back if you prefer.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
i doubt they're half as bad...actually, i think they might be TAD tubes (Tube Amp Doctor - good german tube company)

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I'm guessing that the Engl tubes are rebranded. But, i'm not sure what the original tube was. They could be TAD's which are pretty good I hear, or they could be something like Sovtek, which really aren't that good.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
How do you like the 530? I was seriously thinking about getting one, but I have heard that the distortion is great, but thin sounding.....

On topic:
I had heard that they are re-branded Tung Sol's already...but I could be wrong...
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
If they sound good then they are good. They are going to be rebranded but if you like them then you should contact them and find out what they are. Chances are they are TAD like Hendriko said but they could be anything.
Not taking any online orders.
They sounded decent..but after I put the Tungsols in when i got home from work..noticeable difference. the distortion was much more smooth, thick and rich. At the guy asking how the amp sounds...it sounds like ****ing sex. I can get a very rich full thick distortion. IDK who said it was thin lol. of course this also depends on your pickups and power amp (right now im using DiMarzio SD, but as soon as i get some rockmonkeys, im usin that in my Dean. in my power amp i run with JJ 6L6GC in Carvin TS100 at half power (50w)....a Tungsol Phase Inverter in the power amp and JJ's in the additional input buffer slots to darken things up a bit. also, an EQ wont hurt either :p

I also noticed what helps a lot is completely cranking the power amp up full blast to get max juice to the power tubes, and then using the preamp as a master volume.you'll find a good balance very quick. This works great for getting a thick saturated distortion without getting the cops on your ass. it lowers tube life a good bit, but it's worth it IMO.
Last edited by kayman121 at Aug 20, 2008,
Quote by CorduroyEW
If they sound good then they are good. They are going to be rebranded but if you like them then you should contact them and find out what they are. Chances are they are TAD like Hendriko said but they could be anything.

actually, if you look up ENGL tubes on thomann.de they show you TADs

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Is it possible to get prettier tones out of the ENGL 530 more like David Gilmour, Eric Johnson type stuff,and with the new tubes is it possible to get Fender cleans out of it as well ?