Just wondering how different people decide when a song is "finished". I tried writing my first song last night, started with an idea and a few lines - kept some of them as I found a chord progression I liked.

At this point song has 3 verses, chorus, and a bridge which is pretty standard I think. I was going to try and add another verse and maybe move a few lines around but everytime I try to come up with something I feel like it doesn't fit! Is that the best indication that the song is "done"? Or am I just being lazy not trying different verses or lines to see how they sound?
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
You just gotta feel like it's done. Usually, unless it flows really well for some reason, I can spend anywhere from three days to months on a song.
It's a process, not an event.
Sometimes I'll write a song in 10 minutes. Sometimes I'll sit on it for months and months.

Just depends on how it all works out. When is a song "done" varies. Mine evolve over time, but whenever I feel like it's "finished" (it changes after that some, still, but it's finished when the idea seems realized) is when I feel like I'd be comfortable playing it live.
Quote by Retribution
Sometimes I'll write a song in 10 minutes. Sometimes I'll sit on it for months and months.

Just depends on how it all works out. When is a song "done" varies. Mine evolve over time, but whenever I feel like it's "finished" (it changes after that some, still, but it's finished when the idea seems realized) is when I feel like I'd be comfortable playing it live.

Thanks this is pretty helpful. I understand I could always change anything, but I guess the idea is if its complete enough you'd be comfortable playing it for people it could be considered "done".
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
In my opinion a song is never actually done, I think no matter what, you can come back to it and change something to make it better.. It can always grow.

However when you are satisfied with it, and feel like you can't do anything more without your head exploding. THEN, its done.

But you'll probably come back in 2 years, and find that you could change a few things.
A song is not finished nor ended

It is always living, changing, breathing, as it can be interpreted so many different ways and ideas and opinons can flow and change in either a live or recorded situation.

An artist may feel the completion of the WRITING occurs when all the lyrics are tight with the music.
these people have said the exact same thing after each other

youre song, lyrics anyway, will be finished when you get your point across
It depends. Usually when you're fully satisfied with it. But like someone said above, there's no such thing as a "finished" song.

For me, I'll edit a song again and again for months if I want it to be serious. But if I'm just playing around and making a joke song, it usually takes about five to ten minutes.
::type
theres definately such thing as a finished song. stop trying to be "deep" everyone. a finished song is one that has all the parts you want, flows nice and you can sit down and play it start to finish
I hate my sig
there isn't really a defination if when it's done
its up to the writer to choose when it ends
if your going for the standard songwriting method of verse chorus verse chorus bridge
then most bands or artists end on a chorus but a slight variation of the original one
maybe harmonised hope ive been of some help
i think it's done when you record it on a CD and sell it, cause thats what everyone expects it to sound like.