Ok so I was at band practice the other day and we were doing a rough recording of our new song. I had been playing pretty loud for a good hour and then when we did that recording I turned my 6505 up to 5. Everything was fine, I finished the song turned the volume down on my guitar and stopped playing for a min. When I turn the volume back up on my guitar all I get is a nasty garbled noise. After a few min of trying to diagnose the problem, we found that the speakers had blown. Now granted they are just the stock speakers in the in my old MG250 combo but it was still strange. Any ideas as to why they would blow like that? Could the impedance been wrong?
Prehaps your amp has a higher or lower resistance, and your speakers just couldn't take it anymore.

Or the speakers were faulty, damaged, not put in properly etc.
Are you sure the speaker(s) is/are blown? Were you playing it when it sounded garbled or did you just roll the volume on your guitar back up?
Edit: It just seems odd that both blew at the same exact time.
Quote by clapton-floyd
Prehaps your amp has a higher or lower resistance, and your speakers just couldn't take it anymore.

Or the speakers were faulty, damaged, not put in properly etc.

+1
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
What was the wattage rating on the speakers? And what is the impedence of the amp? If it was set to 16 and the speakers were 4 ohms each, that would be problematic.
maybe the AMP GODS destroyed that mg cuz it sucks so bad
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Almost sounds like you over heated the voice coils which can happen if cheaper speakers are over worked and pushed hard for an extended amount of time. And a 6505 at would be giving them some hell lol

Thats my guess..
Quote by danyellenik
maybe the AMP GODS destroyed that mg cuz it sucks so bad

I doubt it, buddy.

If MG's sucked, Zeus and co. would have zapped Jim Marshall by now.

Thor, in particular is an advocate of its crushing distortion.
Quote by gregs1020
Are you sure the speaker(s) is/are blown? Were you playing it when it sounded garbled or did you just roll the volume on your guitar back up?
Edit: It just seems odd that both blew at the same exact time.

Yea I played with it for a while and it was just all crackly (the sound you'd expect from a blown speaker). That was the only thing I could think of that had gone wrong b/c nothing was wrong with the guitar, cables etc... The only thing I could think of was maybe I had set the impedance wrong. The back of the combo has 2 jacks (one for each speaker) and it said 8Ohm output, but on the speakers themselves it said 8Ohms min. So I just assumed since the combo was putting out 8 then I should set the head to 8 too and plugged the 2 speaker cables into the 2 inputs on the head.
Quote by imgooley
What was the wattage rating on the speakers? And what is the impedence of the amp? If it was set to 16 and the speakers were 4 ohms each, that would be problematic.

It wasn't a wattage issue, but the speaker impedance was really confusing.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I doubt it, buddy.

If MG's sucked, Zeus and co. would have zapped Jim Marshall by now.

Thor, in particular is an advocate of its crushing distortion.

i was joking
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
i was joking

So was I!

Although Thor probably does like MGs, because he strikes me as being a non-sentient Zakk Wylde.

Or someone will end up getting banned!

Seriously it doesn't sound to me like you did anything wrong. Maybe it was just time? So what's your budget. (Sorry if that isn't what you want to hear...)
maybe its just someone telling you to buy a cab, haha. but really, i think you mighta blown one, and then all the wattage reffered to the other one and instantly blew it. OR, the impedence was wrong. either or, your now in the market for a cab.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Wait, did you run out of your 6505 head into the input of the MG or did you mod the MG so it's direct into the speakers bypassing the amp end of the MG combo?
Quote by gregs1020
Wait, did you run out of your 6505 head into the input of the MG or did you mod the MG so it's direct into the speakers bypassing the amp end of the MG combo?

No the speakers of the MG aren't soldered, they have speaker cables with a quarter inch jack on the end of each cable. I wasn't using any of the electronics on the MG, it was essentially just a 2x12 cab.

And to the other guys, I was already in the market for a cab. I'm getting a Recto 4x12 whenever my loan check comes in.

EDIT: I was just planning on keeping the MG to use as a cab at my place b/c I'm not going lug my 4x12 back and forth to practice 3-4 times a week. Maybe I'll throw some V30s in the combo now.
Last edited by zhunt1130 at Aug 20, 2008,