Is it just me, or are occurrences that aren't actually news getting airtime on news shows.

Prime example:

Princess Mary (Australian girl who married into Dutch royal family).

OK, a royal gets married, worthy news. They have children, somewhat less worthy, but fair enough (although I don't like how they covered every second of it in boring detail).

The final straw, our Australian TV news shows reporting on Princess Mary going to the shops to buy nappies for her children in her hometown on holiday?

OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, HOW IS THIS NEWS?
DOES KNOWING THIS INFORMATION MAKE ONE IOTA OF DIFFERENCE TO ANYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD?

In fact, it's mostly celebrities doing stuff.

Hugh Jackman visits Nicole Kidman after she gets back from having a baby...
Fine for ET or something, but SERIOUS NEWS PROGRAMS?

That's my 2 cents.
It's a sad day when people care more about a celebrity's new tits than the philisophical thoughts of Socrates.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
They need to fill up time and space with these stories, I guess its better than not having something to air.

MC name = Bearrorism
Because cable news is about ratings not stories. If a pointless story about a celebrity will get more views than sumthing that matters it will get airtime and not the stories that matter. Ratings = Comercial slots sold which = $$$.
Quote by fleaflicker182
OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, HOW IS THIS NEWS?
DOES KNOWING THIS INFORMATION MAKE ONE IOTA OF DIFFERENCE TO ANYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD?

people will:
-buy the newspapers and read it. profit for the media,
-by doing so ignore so much actual important news. win for the politicians and businesses

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgSeP-oILQ8&feature=related
Last edited by seljer at Aug 20, 2008,
Quote by fleaflicker182
I would personally rather nothing.

This is what we have entertainment news programs for.

Well don't watch it or just mute it when this pointless stuff comes on =]

MC name = Bearrorism
Go fap while this celebrity stuff comes on.
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

Quote by antianti99
Because cable news is about ratings not stories. If a pointless story about a celebrity will get more views than sumthing that matters it will get airtime and not the stories that matter. Ratings = Comercial slots sold which = $$$.

This is not cable news.

And to the guy who told me to mute/not watch the parts that clearly aren't news, why should I?

These stories have no place in news. People watch them on entertainment shows already.
Erm. My news over here is just fine, even ITV isn't that bad. Any news stories about famous people are quite relevant to public interest (e.g. Gary Glitter getting released from Vietnamese prison and coming back to England, or rather not doing) and most of the coverage is about worthwhile current world events.
Maybe it was a slow day for news.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
Quote by MrMojoRisin'
Paris Hilton.

I stopped watching TV because of people like her.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
TVI's last tuesday's closing news was "Octogenarian Dumps His Girlfriend".

/thread.
Quote by kidsilcon
Maybe it was a slow day for news.

Even if it was, it doesn't mean you should go around 'reporting' on nothing at all. It's not news, is it?

They might as well show 30 seconds of Goatse. It would be just as much a waste of screen space.

Or better still, why not report on something from a foreign country. News happens everywhere and it happens everyday.
yes there are quite a few thing's that are silly and don't even belong on tv nevermind the news, becase no, i don't f*ckin' care about what this (celeberty name here) bought for their friends birthday, i care about what is going on in my life, and how the war is going (wen are we gunna stop?)...
that's right i have enough of a life not to care about brad pittt's
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I think you forget that you are not the only person who watches the news. A lot of people care about that celebrity stuff, even if you don't. There's really not much you can do about it.
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by fleaflicker182
Even if it was, it doesn't mean you should go around 'reporting' on nothing at all. It's not news, is it?

They might as well show 30 seconds of Goatse. It would be just as much a waste of screen space.

Or better still, why not report on something from a foreign country. News happens everywhere and it happens everyday.

people are afraid of knowing too much

Quote by HaKattack
I think you forget that you are not the only person who watches the news. A lot of people care about that celebrity stuff, even if you don't. There's really not much you can do about it.

No, like I mentioned, it isn't news, so it shouldn't be on a news program.
Whether people enjoy it or not is pointless.

It's just like reporting something like "a celebrity bought coffee today".
It's not news, just an event that occurred.