Page 1 of 3

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Metallica's Lars Ulrich loves Black Sabbath and Deep Purple -- and so does his 10-year-old son.

Actor Rodger Corser plays "Guitar Hero" at an April event in Australia. The game has revived interest in rock music.

1 of 2 Ulrich may have played songs from those old rock bands around the house on his stereo, but he gives credit for his son's excitement to another source: video games.

Myles Ulrich is a fan of games such as "Guitar Hero" and "Rock Band," which have spawned a comeback for rock music.

"It's a cool generational thing to share that with your kids," said Ulrich, the drummer for the multi-platinum quartet. "My [son's] favorite bands are ... the same bands that are my favorite bands -- the bands I grew up on."

A few years ago, rock music was struggling on the charts. With hip-hop and teen pop ruling, rock was finding it hard to break through with new music -- or sell more of the old.

But "Guitar Hero" and "Rock Band" have prompted kids born in the '90s to discover artists from the '70s and '80s such as Aerosmith, Twisted Sister and Pat Benatar. The games' amazing popularity -- last year, the two brought in more than $935 million in revenue, according to the NPD Group market research company -- has helped create success in other markets, according to observers. Watch Ulrich and others praise the games on "American Morning" »

Geoff Mayfield, senior analyst and director of charts for Billboard magazine, said he sees a direct cause-and-effect for some of the artists who have licensed their songs to "Guitar Hero."

"A few weeks ago, when the game featuring Aerosmith ['Guitar Hero: Aerosmith'] came out, there was more than a 40 percent increase in their catalog sales. I expect you'll see that again when Metallica gets the same kind of treatment in a few weeks," Mayfield said. iReport.com: Do you shred on "Guitar Hero?"

Once wary of downloading, Metallica has changed its tune with its upcoming album.

"When 'Death Magnetic' comes out in September, you can actually download the new album the same day it comes out, and play it on your 'Guitar Hero III,' " Ulrich said -- fully aware of the irony, given his band's past litigation with the Internet music file-sharing service Napster.

Even in an uncertain economy, the video games also have increased interest in guitars, according to the nationwide Guitar Center chain. And bars holding "Guitar Hero" nights also have enjoyed a boost in business: Big Wangs sports tavern in Hollywood, California, reports a 25 percent to 35 percent increase in sales.

The results have played out at such places as Roosevelt High School in Los Angeles, where most teens have grown up on a steady diet of hip-hop and R&B.

Recently, heavy metal blared from the school's darkened auditorium as it sponsored a three-day "Guitar Hero Face-Off." Spotlights illuminated the competitors, and an audience full of enthusiasts screamed wildly at the end of each song.

It was enough to make 16-year-old finalist George Gomez nervous. "You got fans cheering you on," he marveled shyly.

For Mayfield, the marriage of music and video games makes perfect sense, especially for an ailing record industry that's been having trouble selling CDs.

"This is a chance for something that's been a competition to actually be an ally, if you will," he said.

Mayfield has never played "Guitar Hero" or "Rock Band," but he said he understands the irresistible appeal of kids and adults indulging in some harmless headbanging -- albeit with toy instruments.

"If you've ever played air guitar, more than likely, you weren't doing it to a Michael Jackson song. You were doing it to an Aerosmith song," he said.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Wow, never saw it that way. Pretty cool, no?
Military use of children?

Infantry.
I once played guitar hero at a party, almost everybody there listened to mainstream music, the only songs they would play on the thing were the ones they'd seen on MTV. Whenever I got the controller I picked anything from Black Sabbath to KISS to The Sex Pistols and it was great to see some people actually enjoying the music.
Just interested in opinions. In one way I kinda don't like it because my 8 year old always asks: "Is that song in Guitar Hero?"

Then again she's really gotten back into guitar because of it. She even has Heart on her iPod so I guess it's OK.
GEAR:

Ibanez Artcore AS73
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Arg, enough with the Guitar Hero threads.

Also you just pasted an article, where's your opinion?

EDIT: Nevermind
Quote by rigiddigits
Arg, enough with the Guitar Hero threads.

Also you just pasted an article, where's your opinion?

In my next post...

Anyhoo, I think it brings the music to a wider audience. It also makes people buy guitars. I just don't like when people ask me if I play because of it. Or if I can "do" any of the songs.

Can yo "do" Black Magic Woman from Guitar Hero?

Me: By Santana? yeah.

Yeah but from Guitar Hero.
(Actual conversation.)

GEAR:

Ibanez Artcore AS73
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Last edited by Dav23 at Aug 20, 2008,
Although this is a good thing, Guitar Hero really pisses me off because then people only know the song off GH and never actually go out and listen to the other songs of the band. Like whenever I pick up a real guitar..Some kid will be like "OMG CAN YOU PLAY TEH BEAST AND TEH HARLOT?!? LOLZ!!1" It just gets annoying. (Yes I can play it! And it's easy! Just because you think it's hard on GH doesn't mean it's hard in real life!)
/rant
It makes a few teenagers maybe a bit more interested in rock and roll.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
I thought the title was crazy but it makes some sense.
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
If you think about it, Guitar Hero has saved the rock industry with the younger kids.

Guitar Hero has provided kids with a list of songs that they can "Guitar Hero" along to, that they will ultimately enjoy. Even if they don't like every song on the list, there's bound to be one song that they like, and when they download that one song, they may branch out and get more songs by that artist. Guitar Hero essentially becomes the reason why kids look up rock bands, as opposed to the Hip Hop/Pop/Rap they so often hear on the radio.

It's by no means single-handedly saving Rock music, but it is proving to be some help with getting kids into Rock, Metal, Classic Rock, and Alternative bands.
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
**** this game.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
you can air guitar to Michal Jackson, he has clearly never heard beat it.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
If it helps people broaden there musical horizons. Then go guitar hero.

This, although it should be "their".

I found many artists on GH that I hadn't known before, or at least hadn't exposed myself them much.
Quote by RPGoof
I gotta say, it kind of does cause kids to be a little more interested in rock rather than rap.

...wow
Everytime someone makes a comment like 'why do you play bass, theres no Bass Hero' my teeth grind so loudly the Ethiopians think someones getting a meal somewhere and start a search.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy

Quote by MetalheadforJC

I herd rap mean Retraded Attemped at Poetry

Quote by Scumbag1792
Although this is a good thing, Guitar Hero really pisses me off because then people only know the song off GH and never actually go out and listen to the other songs of the band. Like whenever I pick up a real guitar..Some kid will be like "OMG CAN YOU PLAY TEH BEAST AND TEH HARLOT?!? LOLZ!!1" It just gets annoying. (Yes I can play it! And it's easy! Just because you think it's hard on GH doesn't mean it's hard in real life!)
/rant

Oh yeah cause people never did that before guitar hero came out!

*cough*Wonderwall*cough*
Quote by Dav23
In my next post...

Anyhoo, I think it brings the music to a wider audience. It also makes people buy guitars. I just don't like when people ask me if I play because of it. Or if I can "do" any of the songs.

Can yo "do" Black Magic Woman from Guitar Hero?

Me: By Santana? yeah.

Yeah but from Guitar Hero.
(Actual conversation.)

I have a 13 year old cousin who wants me to teach him guitar.
I asked him "let me guess...been playing guitar hero?"
At first he only knew a couple of songs on the game from the bands in the game, but he seems to be willing to look up more music by them, so there is hope.
Guitar Hero is fun, and it got a few of my friends into rock, and they used to listen to nothing but rap so yeah, its great I also never knew about Blackened by Metallica until Rockband, now i really like that song.
I remember a few years ago, I was going to a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert. One of my cousins ragged on me because, although he'd never heard any of their music, it's old and not popular so, clearly, it's shit music.

Then he got really into guitar hero, and now admits that Skynyrd has some really good tunes.

I use this to torture him endlessly.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by metaldud536
I have a 13 year old cousin who wants me to teach him guitar.
I asked him "let me guess...been playing guitar hero?"
At first he only knew a couple of songs on the game from the bands in the game, but he seems to be willing to look up more music by them, so there is hope.

Honestly, I'm pretty average at it but my daughter kicks ass. She asked me if she gets better at real guitar will she lose her ability at GH and play like me.

At least she's into something we can both talk about.
GEAR:

Ibanez Artcore AS73
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
It's not 'saving' it, but it is making it more relevant again. I don't get all the GH bashing that goes on here, sure there are some idiots in the world, but I think a lot of the "THIS DOUCHE THOUGHT HE COULD PLAY GUITAR FROM PLAYING GUITAR HERO OLOLOLOL" threads are bullshit. It's just a fun medium to get people interested in good music, and doesn't deserve all the hate it gets.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by CTFOD
It's not 'saving' it, but it is making it more relevant again. I don't get all the GH bashing that goes on here, sure there are some idiots in the world, but I think a lot of the "THIS DOUCHE THOUGHT HE COULD PLAY GUITAR FROM PLAYING GUITAR HERO OLOLOLOL" threads are bullshit. It's just a fun medium to get people interested in good music, and doesn't deserve all the hate it gets.

Yeah, I definitely don't hate it but sometimes I think people trivialize guitar playing because of it.
GEAR:

Ibanez Artcore AS73
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Well, I do believe that in some way most of the kids playing it haven't heard of half the music in Guitar Hero. Maybe once that song has blown over, they'll search out for more songs from that band......

About the guitar part. No.
McLovin is my hero!

It's not the going that the pit cares about.
It's the coming.
I've found some artists who I hadn't heard of before Guitar Hero. I was into rock genres before Guitar Hero but there were still some artists I hadn't heard of.

Surely it can't do any harm if it shows some kids what proper rock is if they haven't been exposed to it much.
I'd like to see a more Modern based guitar game.

maybe i'd play it then
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
it got me into megadeth... thats all i have to say
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Personally, I'm going to continue playing both guitar and Guitar Hero, and let everyone else stew in their hormones.
It is helping renew interest, and I see nothing wrong with that if you actually like the band and listen to more than just the songs on the game. However, being a guitar hero fanboy, only playing that game and listening to the music on those games, your helping lead to the downfall of music.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Yeah, great comeback for rock.
Last edited by SHEEM at Aug 20, 2008,
IMO, all Guitar Hero does is create musical elitism in a younger age, if the child is so inclined to follow rock strongly. I'm not saying ALL kids will love rock enough to think so highly of it.

But some sort of elitism will take place no matter what. No kid will have a healthy balance of musical styles in their life before the age of, say, 13 or so. I've never met a kid who listens to and loves all music he's come across. Peer pressure is a bitch in elementary school.

Yes, I'll agree that it creates interest in rock at a younger age, but kids tend to go overboard with interets. We're all guilty of it. It's just the nature of it all.

On a side note, kids need more techno in their life. BRING ON THE BEATMANIA!!!

Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Cryptorchild
Atleast there is more rock fans i guess.

True, but there's a huge lacking in MUSIC fans.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Dav23
Yeah, I definitely don't hate it but sometimes I think people trivialize guitar playing because of it.

At the end of the day, it's still just an instrument. Seriously, I love guitar playing as much as the next guy. But, it seems like every other person on this site thinks that guitar playing is some kind of sacred ritual handed down by the gods that leads to massive pagan parties and guitar hero and rock band were sent by the devil to trick the minds of children into committing suicide. Just get over yourself.
Page 1 of 3