DISCLAIMER: im pretty new to UG, so i dunno if theres already a tuning thread, i did a search for it and nothing official looking came up, so im making one here.

secondly, i dont know whether this should be in the pit or not, but since most users use this place, il post here..

well, anyway, i recently bought an ibanez starter model, which is pretty much supposed to play mainly metal music, but whenever i drop it in to D it just makes a buzzing noize whenever i fret after the 5 fret, and i cant put it in anything lower than a D 'cause the whole string just goes floppy and totally unplayable, heartbreaking since most of my fav songs are played in B/C..

so if anyone could suggest anything i should to i.e. new strings etc id be happy to hear it

thanks in advance
Exactly how floppy does it go? The difference in tension should be minimal between E and D.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

Could be the cheapness of your guitar as well.
Military use of children?

Infantry.
Either:

Raise your action a tad bit and/or get heavier gauge strings. Im assuming you use 9s or something, so try a set of 10s (DR ftw)
:stickpoke

Baby, if I were biscuits and you were gravy, I'd sop you up

FIGHT IGNORANCE

"I fear for my flesh, but I fear for my spirit even more..."
Quote by Kneusje
Could be the cheapness of your guitar as well.

alas, if it were true...but nah'...its a £179 quality ibanez model
make sure your in right octave.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Quote by Jaymz_515
Exactly how floppy does it go? The difference in tension should be minimal between E and D.

nope

theres a big difference between E-D, its about 0.3-4cm-ish guessin its broked then??
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
nope

theres a big difference between E-D, its about 0.3-4cm-ish guessin its broked then??

You could, as stated earlier, be in the wrong octave.

What exactly do you mean by .3-4cm?

ಠ_ಠ

wat

Yeah your string could be snapped somewhere, it might evne be a tiny breakage which is difficult to see, thats happen to me before on the low e it just goes floppy suddnely.....oh dear god i idnt just say that did i!?! If it not a broken string it could be that your in the wrong octave as someone mentioned before.
U may be in tune, but not in Pitch. Dropping the E to D shouldn't reduce the string tension that much.
Quote by Jaymz_515

It's his penis length.

Kidding, probably the amount of floppiness, string flops .3-4 centimetres to the side..?
I will more than likely never return to any thread I post in, so don't bother replying to me.
Quote by Jaymz_515
You could, as stated earlier, be in the wrong octave.

well, all string vibrate when you strum them (obv)..but when i strum the 6th string when its in D, the distance it moves in vibration will be about 3 to 4 mm to either side..i probaly should just buy new string aswel, but can i still play in E with them if there thicker?..

and by octave (total noob to guitars, only playing for 4 months) to you meen how the 7th fret E string (when dropped to a D) should sound like the open A string?