My amp sounds amazing clean, but when any overdrive is applied, the bottom end gets really flabby and farty. Is there any way I could fix this, or is that just how the amp is?

I play a MIM tele and an Ibanez AR250

The amp is a Traynor YCV-20WR (15 watts, celestion greenback)

My main EQ settings are:

Bass: 5
Mids: 4
Treble: 9

Bass: 6
Mids: 6
Treble: 7

I have an OD pedal (DOD 250) but it doesn't really tighen up anything. If anything, it just adds more midrange and bass.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
um i would suggest new speaker maybe, I mean if your happy with the tone of your amp then dont change it. Maybe get some EVM12L speakers there really good. But also try putting a bit more midrange in, it will make it slightly more brittle
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
Change the speakers. That will make a huge difference.

EDIT:

Also, an overdrive might tighten it up even more after the speaker swap....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Well, I actually really like the Greenback, and its supposedly a pretty high quality speaker. Are you guys sure that the speaker is the problem?
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

when it comes to flabbiness it usually the speaker. if the amp is pretty new, you may need to break it in for awhile. i suggest you do that before dishing out on a new speaker.

greenbacks are high-quality but if theres one constant complaint it is the flabby bass.
Quote by corbn89
when it comes to flabbiness it usually the speaker. if the amp is pretty new, you may need to break it in for awhile. i suggest you do that before dishing out on a new speaker.

greenbacks are high-quality but if theres one constant complaint it is the flabby bass.

Well, I got it used, and they guy I bought it from was gigging several times a week, so I think its broken in. I guess I'll for a speaker change.

Any suggestions?

I'm looking for something with really good cleans, a tight low end, and a fairly balanced tone with no spiking frequencies.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

To tighten up the low end I would suggest some form of Tube Screamer, boost the amp a bit and dial in some lows.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You could try a 10 band EQ pedal. Lots of tone sculpting power. You can shape your low end exactly how you need it.

I'm curious, what are you going to about your Tele predicament?

Well, I'm short on cash right now, so all the questions I've been asking in this forum are for future purchases. I've looked into a few used EQ pedals locally, but haven't gotten around to trying them out.

As for the Tele, I think most of my problem is that I play it like an acoustic. I do some pretty heavy strumming. Its just hard to play through a cranked tube amp (low enough to stay clean though) the way that I play without getting a huge range of overtones. I was thinking about just getting a nice compressor to help tame the dynamics, but I don't want to sacrifice my tone.

I'm coming to the realization that everything is going to be a trade-off :P I can't have super-amazing-spectacular clean tone and play it like an acoustic because a cranked tube amp wont allow it.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

If you're still looking for a replacement speaker to tighten up the low end I'd advise a Vintage 30.

It was difficult to not make jokes about liking flabby/tight low ends, but I fought it, and I won.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Haha. Just control your picking dynamics. I still think an Alnico II neck pickup would be a good idea.

I do when I'm playing at home, but I mostly play rhythm at church. I usually just end up playing a G, C, D progression in a pop-rock situation. I can't really worry about dynamics when the guitar is not at the front. Its really only background filler stuff more than anything, so I have to play hard just to be heard. The piano and strings really take the lead. I just have people complaining about treble spikes sometimes.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Quote by papersun87
I'd try heavier gauge of strings, maybe. If you're strumming them hard then that might make a difference, plus it's cheaper than a new speaker.

Man I feel like such an ass for asking for help then saying "NO" to everyones replies lol...

I've been playing the guitar for a while, and I know what I like as far as guitars go, I'm kind of a gearhead and tonefreak, and I spend hours just EQing my amps.

After years and years of string testing, I've settled on Elixer Nano-web 9 gauge.

Not that I'm being close minded or anything, those are just the best I've found for me.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Just an FYI...

This...
Quote by USAPeavey
My amp sounds amazing clean, but when any overdrive is applied, the bottom end gets really flabby and farty. Is there any way I could fix this

And this..
Quote by USAPeavey
Well, I actually really like the Greenback, and its supposedly a pretty high quality speaker.

Are contradicting...
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Aug 20, 2008,
Keep the greenback its fine, some people like them for metal, they come stock in framus cobra cabs...

If the amp has a loose bottom end then thats the way it is, boost it and eq it.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Just an FYI...

This...

And this..

Are contradicting...

Not really, they don't have much to do with one another
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Quote by USAPeavey
Not really, they don't have much to do with one another

So you asking for help.. Saying your bottom end gets really flabby and farty and even with 6 people telling you its the speaker... You still dont think they have much to do with one another... You live in an intresting world my friend....

"um i would suggest new speaker maybe,"

"is the speaker broken in?"

"Change the speakers. That will make a huge difference."

"when it comes to flabbiness it usually the speaker."

"If you're still looking for a replacement speaker to tighten up the low end I'd advise a Vintage 30."

"plus it's cheaper than a new speaker."
Quote by IbanezPsycho
So you asking for help.. Saying your bottom end gets really flabby and farty and even with 6 people telling you its the speaker... You still dont think they have much to do with one another... You live in an intresting world my friend....

"um i would suggest new speaker maybe,"

"is the speaker broken in?"

"Change the speakers. That will make a huge difference."

"when it comes to flabbiness it usually the speaker."

"If you're still looking for a replacement speaker to tighten up the low end I'd advise a Vintage 30."

"plus it's cheaper than a new speaker."

Yes, and if you read through the thread you will notice that I acknowledged that it is probably the speaker, and that I need to change it. Just because I might change the speaker doesn't mean I can't like the one I currently have. I'm sure there are things the greenback is better at than other speakers, and vice-versa.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

flabbiness maybe improved by replacing the valves, I just put new valves in my Epiphone VJ and the now the bass seems more punchy. I tend to be a bit skeptical about people saying this or that makes a 'huge difference' but changin the valves may make a substantial difference..
Get a behringer EQ700. Its an extremely cheap 7 band eq (less than £20). If you cut the lowest 100Hz band, and possibly boost the 800hz, it should tighten up your sound.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
How do you have your overdrive setup?

You said channel 2 sounds good until you apply overdrive. Cut the output way up but the gain down and try that.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
You could try lowering the bass. believe it or not that helps. even with relatively low bass some amps can still retain that low end punch. if its flabby at 6, its because there might be a lot of bass naturally for the amp. Ive never played a traynor of any kind, but I know this is to be true with my Mesa.

an EQ could help as well, as could speaker or tube changes. But just keep messing with your EQ. try and think of things you would never think of doing. this is just something to sit down and do before you decide to go out and spend money.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The Greenback is hardly a flabby speaker, shame on whoever has said it's inadequate. What volume are you playing at? And soundclips?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by LaidBack
You could try lowering the bass. believe it or not that helps. even with relatively low bass some amps can still retain that low end punch. if its flabby at 6, its because there might be a lot of bass naturally for the amp. Ive never played a traynor of any kind, but I know this is to be true with my Mesa.

an EQ could help as well, as could speaker or tube changes. But just keep messing with your EQ. try and think of things you would never think of doing. this is just something to sit down and do before you decide to go out and spend money.

Haha, i remember my F-100, I had the bass at 3, Mids at 8 and treble cranked. Those things have a TON of low end.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Yea they do. I love my F-50. i keep my bass around 9 o'clock...so yea, thats about 3 lol....trebel at 8 and mids at 9. love it love it love it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals