So, a lot of different factors have caused me to make some decisions, big decisions. The two main ones being the fact that I'm moving out and I have dropped out of college.

I'll be living on my own so I really need to find myself a job for the short- term, however, I do have some plans for the long-term.

I basically want to do an open university degree in English language, with some history and/or politics modules for extra credit, followed by a full time career in journalism or publishing.

Does anyone here have any idea how to go about getting into journalism via a junior journalist opening?
I was thinking about doing some research into a relevant subject and writing an article, then subitting it to the editors of local newspapers.

Any help is appreciated.
Tim

PS.Sorry for any poor grammar or spelling- I'm really not well.
Quote by Craigo
I had a friend who dropped out of college to go into an apprenticeship. I could try getting in touch with her for you and find out more.

That would be amazing if you could. I'd owe you a blowjob
Hi thur, i am a journalism student.
I don't know how things work in the rest of the world. but in Greece, there are 3 ways:
You finish journalism school of the state, then spend the rest of your life trying to find a proper job.
That includes working a lot and gaining a little, sometimes even nothing.
2nd, you finish journalism student of the state, then use your connections to find a job, in which, after endless asskissing and hard work, you manage to gain the basic wage.
3rd, you finish the private journalism schools that the big stations and tv channels run, then work only for this channel, trying to escalade your way to success.

choose another domain plz
Every form of control over another person is a crime

AEK Athens
Asteras Exarcheion
Prasini Thyella
Rayo Vallecano

RED MILITIA-Vamos a Vencer
Many papers and media stations offer internships, apprenticeships and just basic volunteer work. I would suggest looking into that near you.
You've already made a mistake by dropping out of college.

How are you going to prove to university staff that you're mature enough for higher education when you can't even complete college?
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by _Tim_
That would be amazing if you could. I'd owe you a blowjob

I'll pass the blowjob and will accept and equal cash substitute

She's doing it with our town's paper with interests in moving up in the world through pure experience. I haven't spoken to her since she's left college, but I'll try to get in touch.
Quote by Rankles
You've already made a mistake by dropping out of college.

How are you going to prove to university staff that you're mature enough for higher education when you can't even complete college?

Basically, I can complete it. I just wanted to do something different. The open university requires you to be 18, by then I should have had a job for the best part of a year, so the OU should allow me to do a degree.
Quote by Craigo
I'll pass the blowjob and will accept and equal cash substitute

She's doing it with our town's paper with interests in moving up in the world through pure experience. I haven't spoken to her since she's left college, but I'll try to get in touch.

I can't offer that, but I can offer a discount on a guitar I'm selling
Yeah, I had exactly the same idea. In my opinion, experience> university in many cases.
Even if it's on a part-time basis I think it would be highly beneficial.
Alright, I just checked her facebook. She now works for HSBC apparently, so I presume she's not doing it any more. Sorry dude. I asked her anyway and I'll see my luck. She barely uses social networking anyway so it might take a few days.
A level English Language (or at least literature) I imagine would go a long way to speeding up your advancement into journalism.

Two years doing A levels will be so much easier than the long and hard route you're planning at the minute.
Quote by Craigo
Alright, I just checked her facebook. She now works for HSBC apparently, so I presume she's not doing it any more. Sorry dude. I asked her anyway and I'll see my luck. She barely uses social networking anyway so it might take a few days.

Thanks a lot, it's much appreciated.

Quote by tyronelab
A level English Language (or at least literature) I imagine would go a long way to speeding up your advancement into journalism.

Two years doing A levels will be so much easier than the long and hard route you're planning at the minute.

I see what you're getting at, but I honestly believe that what I have planned is honestly the best route for me.
Quote by _Tim_
So, a lot of different factors have caused me to make some decisions, big decisions. The two main ones being the fact that I'm moving out and I have dropped out of college.

I'll be living on my own so I really need to find myself a job for the short- term, however, I do have some plans for the long-term.

I basically want to do an open university degree in English language, with some history and/or politics modules for extra credit, followed by a full time career in journalism or publishing.

Does anyone here have any idea how to go about getting into journalism via a junior journalist opening?
I was thinking about doing some research into a relevant subject and writing an article, then subitting it to the editors of local newspapers.

Any help is appreciated.
Tim

PS.Sorry for any poor grammar or spelling- I'm really not well.

Do a Journalism degree......srsly dude.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by Gregoric
Do a Journalism degree......srsly dude.

That limits me to a very narrow field. At least with English lang and literature with extra credit modules I'll have a lot more options
Quote by _Tim_
That limits me to a very narrow field. At least with English lang and literature with extra credit modules I'll have a lot more options

There's a very small chance any paper will take you on without a Journalism degree. Writing news isn't like writing poetry or essays or prose like they teach you in English. You'll need a journalism degree to teach you how the industry works and how you should go about doing things like interviews, press conferences, not only that but you'll need to study journalism law and politics also.

I do a Journalism degree and there's SO much more to it than I ever thought there was. If you're serious about being a Journalist then take a Journalism degree.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by Gregoric
There's a very small chance any paper will take you on without a Journalism degree. Writing news isn't like writing poetry or essays or prose like they teach you in English. You'll need a journalism degree to teach you how the industry works and how you should go about doing things like interviews, press conferences, not only that but you'll need to study journalism law and politics also.

I do a Journalism degree and there's SO much more to it than I ever thought there was. If you're serious about being a Journalist then take a Journalism degree.

Yeah, but surely I'll be able to learn the same things through and internship or apprenticeship?

I don't think for a second it'll be easy, and I do really want to get into journalism. It's just not viable for me to finish college and go to uni at the moment. Again, I believe that what I have planned is the best route for me.
Quote by _Tim_
Yeah, but surely I'll be able to learn the same things through and internship or apprenticeship?

I don't think for a second it'll be easy, and I do really want to get into journalism. It's just not viable for me to finish college and go to uni at the moment. Again, I believe that what I have planned is the best route for me.

The only two Journalism courses available to me were either HNDs or a Degree, both involved studying in college + exams etc.

You said you wanted to do english etc. but you can always take on extra english modules if you want to.

Or you could be a freelance, or you could be a blogger so at least you'll have some kind of portfolio.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Ohh!

I know someone who is interested in Journalism. Dunno about his Uni experiences but I know they include media.

Go into the hardcore forum, into the offtopic thread. Find a user called kryponite. See if he'll help out or something.
Quote by Gregoric
The only two Journalism courses available to me were either HNDs or a Degree, both involved studying in college + exams etc.

You said you wanted to do english etc. but you can always take on extra english modules if you want to.

Or you could be a freelance, or you could be a blogger so at least you'll have some kind of portfolio.

That does suck...

I cannot do college without working, that's a fact. I refuse to accept otherwise.

I was thinking about doing freelance work for free so I have something to show. I do appreciate your help, and I realise that I'm stubborn as hell but I have made my decision. I just need the best way of going about it.
Quote by _Tim_
That does suck...

I cannot do college without working, that's a fact. I refuse to accept otherwise.

I was thinking about doing freelance work for free so I have something to show. I do appreciate your help, and I realise that I'm stubborn as hell but I have made my decision. I just need the best way of going about it.

Well luckily the industry has expanded an awful lot so there are many ways of being a journalist and indeed becoming one lol. Good luck dude
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by Gregoric
Well luckily the industry has expanded an awful lot so there are many ways of being a journalist and indeed becoming one lol. Good luck dude

I really do hope so.
I'd really like to focus on political or business journalism, hence wanting to do extra modules in politics.
Thanks for your advice
Noone does internships or apprenticeships anymore because everyone goes to Uni. Why would they pay you to learn when they can just wait for you to be trained elsewhere?
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Rankles
Noone does internships or apprenticeships anymore because everyone goes to Uni. Why would they pay you to learn when they can just wait for you to be trained elsewhere?

They can train you to their own own standards?
My cousin worked as an intern at a news station, she just learned from people there by watching them, but she was still going to college. I think it helped her in getting a job in journalism.
Quote by Ichimaru
I've always wanted to meet a really hot readhead so that I could tell her name is Moses and I'm here to see the burning bush.
Quote by _Tim_
They can train you to their own own standards?

No, but there's a lot less training if you went to Uni first. You can manage it, it's just more difficult. Anyway, I intend to go into journalism too (although I'll go to Uni first), but anywau, just write to a lot of different publications (smaller ones, obviously).
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Timmeh libbing a lie timmehdor! reeelalala timmehdor!

Sorry, but dude, you screwed up badly. Just come work at my fathers burger bar until you are 40 when you will kill yourself with a single gunshot wound to the head.

... I mean...

Good luck with whatever you want to do dude, I still wish you stayed in college, despite the circumstances you told me about.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Well, I don't feel like spamming up the board wit ha new topic, so I'm posting here.

I need an idea for a journalism story.

A feature story at that, because it can't be time-sensitive.

Thanks ahead of time.
life is beautifuuuuooooaaaaaal
Journalists are bastards with no credibility. Don't do it. Go back to college.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
I'm doing a uni degree in journalism. I'd take a few communication lessons. Nowadays, employers rarely consider people with no degree anymore (In Quebec, at least).

I'd suggest you maybe taking a few informative writing lessons. At least.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Do what people did in the days before unnecessarily-specific-degrees and do English.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by smb
This thread is old, and he's banned.

Banned for quite a while yet.
Don't worry though, he'll still be reading it
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre