My bassist in my Psychadelic Metal band is finally LISTENING to me !

He's using a Geddy Lee Jazz bass and a Custom made V bass with custom pickups (its awesome!)... and also a Violin copy bass (he doesnt use it that often) and currently running through one of those annoying bloody Fender Rumble 100s.

He wants a very punchy, overdriven grrr john entwistle-type bass tone... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVl39LBZGMw this video is an aproximation. I KNOW you'll say look for your own tone, he'll tweak it ok! but something punchy and grr. He wants it to sound less sort of, bassy, and more bass guitary...
lots of mids !

Which amplifiers (under 1.5k mind you) would get a close aproximation of this tone?
He also has placed interest in a good 4x10 cab (i'm using a 30 watt tube amp and my other guitarist's is 50 watts tube, so he doesn't need more than 4 10s.)
A 2x12 will help immensely with that "grr" sound. 12s are like 10s on steroids. For a head, I'd recommend something old school. At least, John Entwhistle makes me want to say old school, but that punchy and middy sound makes me want to say some modern transparent solid state. My first thought was immediately to say Trace Elliot. It has kind of a new old school sound and would probably be exactly what you're looking for.
in my experience if you want punchy go for Ampeg. but I don't know how much money your bassist has
Quote by Bonesaw
in my experience if you want punchy go for Ampeg. but I don't know how much money your bassist has

trying to keep as cheap as possible under 1500USD
I would recommend a 4x10 ampeg and maybe a peavey head the cab is about 500 and the rest should be on the head also if he wants to be entwhistle-esque get a fuzz pedal possibly a big muff pi at least it sounds like he is using fuzz in that video
hm. Ampeg cab, Peavey head?

that would be ok...

and no big muff. I say the best cheap option is an OBD-3 from Boss.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
A 2x12 will help immensely with that "grr" sound. 12s are like 10s on steroids. For a head, I'd recommend something old school. At least, John Entwhistle makes me want to say old school, but that punchy and middy sound makes me want to say some modern transparent solid state. My first thought was immediately to say Trace Elliot. It has kind of a new old school sound and would probably be exactly what you're looking for.

This man has it right, absolutely. Trace's are the way to go.

BTW, some of the initial sound that Entwhistle has there comes from the Graphite bass he's using, also the Status pickups and EQ he's got help put the growl out there.

But as far as amps go, a good Trace Elliot one will do you wonders. Otherwise, look at Eden for a similar, but greater amount of growl.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
My buddy freaked when he saw the Trace 7band 500w amp... he found a deal for a used one for really cheap (lucky!).. and is buying an Avatar 2x12 to match it apparently...
Thanks for all the help guys!