Page 1 of 2
it's true. I can be in bed and i'm thinking oh i should do this, but i can't exactly go and get my guitar in the middle of thie night
The worst part, IMO, is when you have a great little verse and for the life of you can't write a chorus for it, or viseversa.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
or you write an awesome riff with an awesome lyric and then realize the riff has been done beofre in another bands song
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
The worst part is to think of some crazy riffing that sounds awesome in your head, and when you play it on the guitar it sucks monkey balls.

That's failing before you've gotten started...
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
In all honesty, I've been really loving what I've been writing. I just think its really good, and I don't want to feel like I'm bragging.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
*Writing something awesome only to realize you inadvertently ripped it off in some way.
*Having suckass lyrics in an otherwise good song.
*Trying to get the rest of the band to play it like you envisioned it.
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
i wrote one today and the worst part is coming up with the melody IMO
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
I hate it when it takes forever for me to work out how I want it to sound, but can't do it because I'm crap..
Told a girl I had a crush on that I was going to write a song for her over the summer, but you know what? I can't even memorize all 35 basic chords, and school starts... in 4 days..
Forever feels retarded in MT forum

-Equipment-
Squier Champ 15
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
-Shopping list-
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
1 guitar cable for that pedal
^I wish my girl was impressed by me playing guitar
Quote by tasty licks
*Writing something awesome only to realize you inadvertently ripped it off in some way.
lol, my friends band wrote "fade to black." It was probably the most pitifull attempt at writing music ever, as every riff was copied from metallica songs. And they couldnt write a singing melody, so they just screamed out lyrics without a melody.
I generally love song writing, but as said before I hate when you come up with something and it sounds like another song. Generally then, I just change it around or just alter the tone of it. Thankfully, when the whole band plays together it sounds nothing like a ripoff
Quote by XxDre09xX
Told a girl I had a crush on that I was going to write a song for her over the summer, but you know what? I can't even memorize all 35 basic chords, and school starts... in 4 days..

I was there once.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by XxDre09xX

Then write a song with 3 chords, there are innumerable songs which are massively famous with only 3 chords (early Bob Dylan anyone?)
one time like a year ago i thought I'd try to come up with one of those really simple riffs that are really memorable and easy to play, but hard to write. I spent like an hour working on a riff, and was like hell yea! this is awesome!

then after playing it a couple of times I realized... hang on.. I've heard that before... I thought for a minute... then "****!! That's ****ing Rock You Like A Hurricane!"

I then looked up the tab (I'd never tried to play it before) and it was the same exact thing, note for note! the only difference was that for that first E5 I was down at the open E5 and the song it's the 7th fret E5 on the A string.

The other thing I hate is I when come with an extremely awesome riff and then I can't get anything to go with it.

And another one that pissed me off was when I came up with this exceedingly fast and difficult thrash style riff and my rhythm guitarist said it sounded too choppy (I think it was cuz he couldn't play it) and He dumbed it down and slowed it down and added some simple power chords for the chorus.... and now it's like our best song.
Quote by athverboy
I remember my first girl. I had fun with her.

fixed
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by Flipaningage
it's true. I can be in bed and i'm thinking oh i should do this, but i can't exactly go and get my guitar in the middle of thie night

Why cant you? In one of the guitar mags i was reading there was an interveiw with dimebags old girlfriend. She said he used to get up in hte middle of the night and record riffs on a tape recorder and that he had a guitar and a mini amp and a tape recorder in the bathroom and he would riff whilst dumping.
I got some great advice from a guy who's sold a crap ton of records and written some amazing songs. He said "write something EVERYDAY, from start to finish. Even if it sucks, finish it." He had a foot tall stack of composition books full of songs. Must have been a thousand.
That rug really tied the room together.
My problem is writing something and wondering if it sounds like another song. Maybe not one I know well, but I subconsciously was listening to in a grocery store one day or something. But I don't know. I guess that's why it's good to play songs for people you know before copyrighting it.
Play the music, not the instrument. ~Author Unknown

blackzeppelion
Who's the band that could become the next led zeppelin?
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
*Breaks out periodic table* Magnesium bi-plane.
^ i usually let my close friends listen to all my songs and i ask them "hey does this sound like any specific song by anybody else?" and if i get resounding no's then its all good. if i get a yes then i'll go listen to that song and see if i can hear it, if i can't hear it then its all good.
...Or getting accused of ripping off a chord progression just because someone, somewhere, sometime, in the history of the universe, once played 2 of those same chords in the same order.

...Or maybe even worse, writing an original riff/progression, only to have somebody tell me some band I never heard of wrote the same thing 10 years ago.
^ i don't think its that hard to write "decent" stuff as long as whatever you're saying is honest. alot of people write fluff that is honestly fluff and they can't admit it to themselves and then wonder why it is that their words suck. accessing the headspace of honesty, thats not the easiest thing initially but once you do it and keep doing it, it gets easier and easier. i would like it to be noted that honest words don't ALWAYS make for the best lyrics, but more often than not they are far more productive and conducive to songwriting than trying to write what you think should sound good.
Unless your Kurt Cobain and you just sing nonsense and yea yea yea and get away with it.^

The other thing I hate is I when come with an extremely awesome riff and then I can't get anything to go with it.

I hear you on this one. I come up with tons of ****in riffs i like and ill tab em into gutiar pro and listen to them and i still like them but i have trouble making whole songs. I want a loop pedal in the worst way so i can loop them and play them loud it sucks jamming ot computer speakers.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Aug 21, 2008,
Oh i absolutly agree it conveys feeling and had a poetic quality to it and I like a lot of it but he difinatly (he admitted this himself) just put what sounded good and didnt worry about the meanings so much. Obviosuly some of it had meaning i just mean he wouldnt force meaningfull words if non sense sounded better .

The beatles did this alot too. I was watching Imagine the other day and john lennon was talking to this crazy guy that went to his house that thought john lennon had wrote a song for him. John lennon was like how the hell could i be in your head mate. Sometimes i just sing words that dont have meaning or maybe have different meanings to different people etc.. This movie is awsome to watch. I recommend it to anyone who plays. It shows him making songs in the studio and singing little melodys and then making a whole song out of it. You can tell he just could hear the whole thing before he even played the first note.
Quote by TheParasprinter
Writing lyrics that don't sound like bad high school poetry.

Just out of curiosity, can you give me some examples? Or anyone for that matter.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
EDIT : Listen to just about any lincoln park song.^
man i understand the whole writing a riff and cant ocme up wit hanything to add with it. but im so happy i put a used RC20 on hold at GC i cant wait to pay it off
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by Gacel
you know what is it?

that you get totally sick of it cause your brain is playing it 24/7!!!!

That never happens to me. Oh course, everything I write is awesome, so...
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^ riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. pretty sure of yourself aren't you? i guess you've never had to play a part like 100 times to get it just perfect.
Well, he is an ass. Just look at his user title .

Me? Uhh...finding out it sounds too similar to another artist's song. I've only done it once, but I hated it.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
lol Its true. You rehearse is over and over, adding more to it getting it perfect by the end you've played it countless times. Then it hurts to play it again. lol
Greg Bennett Ultramatic UM-3 sig.
Custom Greg Bennett Hollowbody UM-4 sig.
Greg Bennett Fastback FB-3
Greg Bennett ASDMCE Acoustic
Fender GC-12 Acoustic

Amps:

Line 6 Spider III 15amp
Line 6 Vetta II HD

Effects:
Digi-tech RP-150
Page 1 of 2